Old Dorney Dark Rides

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Old Dorney Dark Rides

Postby rwk » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:39 pm

Which of the following defunct rides did anyone here ride? The year is the final year the ride was there and operated. Whoever remembers the interiors of those rides please reply and describe as best as possible. I rode all of them except the Whacky Shack ( I was born Jan 74) but I only remember certain things inside the Bucket O' Blood and Gold Mine, like the rotating tunnel and a few other things.

Journey to the Center of the Earth (1992)
Iceberg until 1990/Meteorite (1993)
Gold Mine walkthrough under arcade (1985)
Bucket O' Blood dark ride (1983) Burned Down
Whacky Shack fun house (1973) Burned. Doubt most of you were around then, but your parents were.
Also, Indy 500, Rockets, Sky Ride, Water Skooters, Skooter bumper cars, Disco Dodge electric Lusse bumper cars (Krazy Kars since 1992), Glass House.
rwk

Postby DorneyDante » Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:55 pm

I'm 21, so I grew up going to Dorney Park in the mid to late eighties. I rode Journey to the Center of the Earth, the glass house, the rockets, the sky ride, the lusse bumper cars and water skooters. I was only born in '82 so I don't remember any of the others. I do remember the ones that I mentioned very well though. The glass house was down by Thundercreek Mountain, yes? I went in it once with my dad when I was younger, nothing to special about it, just your typical mirror maze. I think that it rotated, but I could be wrong about that. I remember being really scared fearing that we'd never make it out (keep in mind I was probably 6 or 7 at the time). Journey, like I said in previous posts had a god awful mildew smell. I remember the tunnel being teeny tiny. I remember the corny, yet charming animatronics and the sounds effects that echoed from speakers that were made up to look like rocks on the wall. I also remember the manual hand brakes and the splash, or lack there of at the end. There was one part of the ride when you were in the tunnel where it was completely pitch black and around the corner they had a strobe light thing on the ceiling, it was kinda freaky. The iceberg I remember as being REALLY cold inside. When they changed it to the meteorite, they added strobe lights and took away the freezing cold. I think they also painted it black when they changed it to the meteorite but I could be wrong about that also. The rockets were above a picnic grove and you had to climb this stairway that led to the top. The sky ride was your typical sky ride. It started at around where the the rock climbing wall and the monster are now and it went down to the laser and turned around. I always remember fearing that if I was wearing sandals that they would fall off and land in the water (the skyride ran above the stream that runs through dorney) below. The lusse water skooters ran next to the zephyr station. I always remember pretending that I was driving the boat when I was little. Could you imagine how upset I was when I realized that they ran on a track. Poor kid. I had a fear of the old Lusse bumper cars because I would always get stuck in the corner when I rode them so I never rode them that much. They were in the alfundo building next to the arcade and Thunderhawk's loading platform. The indy cars I just remember smelling pretty bad. I never rode them because I wasn't tall enough, I do remember them though. You hadda be over 48" I believe to ride them, maybe like 52"-54". I remember watching my uncle go on them as a stood to the side and watched. They weren't there very long I do know that. I could ramble on and on but I'll stop.
DorneyDante

Postby DrNickRiviera995 » Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:45 pm

:(
Last edited by DrNickRiviera995 on Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrNickRiviera995

Bucket O' Blood and Gold Mine

Postby rwk » Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:56 pm

But, who here is old enough (at least over 25) to remember the Bucket O' Blood dark ride or Gold Mine walk through? I remember those both well, I went through them several times. Both had the 'rotating tunnel' trick, like this http://dafe.org/events/2002/ws-20020614-26.jpg and the Gold Mine had a 'jail-like' room at the end with a strobe light, I remember looking at my hand and it was flashing. The Bucket O' Blood had the rotating tunnel in the beginning, first your car left the boarding area and turned to the right and entered double doors into a dark room then immediately another set of double doors and into the golden rotating tunnel, then more doors and a pirate room, then a hallway of bones like a rib cage I think, then a jungle like scene at the end? Sorry, don't quite remember it all. I wish I or my father had taken photos inside then. This ride was located in the Musik Express/Games area, between the Sea Dragon and Tilt-a-Whirl. It was just up the hill from the Iceberg, and the front was the same side as the Iceberg, by the Tilt. Burned down Sept. 1983. The Gold Mine closed mid-80s, and is still down there under the arcade in the house where the Subway is. The entrance/exit was where the porch is by the arcade ramp by Dippin' Dots. The porch was built over the Gold Mine entrance.
rwk

Postby zuckuss1 » Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:26 pm

Last edited by zuckuss1 on Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zuckuss1

Postby DrNickRiviera995 » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:13 pm

Last edited by DrNickRiviera995 on Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrNickRiviera995

Postby DrNickRiviera995 » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:18 pm

Last edited by DrNickRiviera995 on Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrNickRiviera995

Postby zuckuss1 » Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:16 pm

Last edited by zuckuss1 on Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zuckuss1

Gold Mine

Postby rwk » Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:35 am

Why couldn't they open the Gold Mine during the summer? Are the crowds a lot worse now than in the 1980's? Is that why there's no dark rides, and why the old ones were removed, because of the 'wrong' crowds? like a lot of inner city youths, etc. that would be likely candidates to vandalize a dark ride. also, zuckuss1 are all the tunnels still in there intact, and the suspension bridge and rotating tunnel and jail room? And, zuckuss1 did you ride the Bucket O' Blood in early 80's, and if you did can you describe the interior a bit in more detail, I kind of forgot some of it after 20 years. I do remember the rotating tunnel in the beginning. Parks like Knoebels and Playland, Rye, NY keep their dark rides, but Dorney loses all of theirs. What does Cedar Fair have against permanent dark rides? They even got rid of the Pirate Ride at Cedar Point and Haunted Shack at Knott's in California.
rwk

Postby BigDorneyFan » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:07 am

DrNickRiviera995...The Titanic in which you speak of was actually 3-D. It was made to look like it was stuck in the iceburg. It stuck out through the wall. I remember it looked like you were going to hit it when the ride was running. It was my favorite part of the ride. With the flashing colored lights and the stobes it looked really cool in there.
BigDorneyFan

Postby zuckuss1 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:06 am

Last edited by zuckuss1 on Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zuckuss1

Postby DrNickRiviera995 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:12 am

Last edited by DrNickRiviera995 on Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrNickRiviera995

Postby zuckuss1 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:04 am

Last edited by zuckuss1 on Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zuckuss1

Postby DrNickRiviera995 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:43 am

Last edited by DrNickRiviera995 on Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrNickRiviera995

Postby zuckuss1 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:04 pm

Last edited by zuckuss1 on Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zuckuss1

Next

Return to General Discussion