The Inn

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

The Inn

Postby rwk » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:50 am

i have the Dorney Park book by former owner Bob Ott and Wally Ely. At the last page it shows the old hotel and it says it was torn down in 2002. That place was known as Bavarian Inn (German restaurant & bar) until 1983, then in early 1983 it became Mandarin House, Chinese restaurant. I ate in there both when it was Bavarian and Mandarin. I'm not sure when Mandarin closed, but I believe before 1990. It then became Memories restaurant for employees. Why was it torn down? Another piece of Dorney Park history destroyed, courtesy of Cedar Fair.
rwk

Postby zuckuss1 » Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:56 am

:(
Last edited by zuckuss1 on Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zuckuss1

Postby DorneyMan88 » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:02 pm

zuckuss1, I'm not sure I understand some things, can you explain them to me?

Where exactly was this old in? Was it in the vicinity of Thunderhawk's old entrance?

What warehouse/maintenance building area are you talking about? Are you talking about those tan (maybe not tan, I have trouble with colors, lol) buildings and collection of small barn buildings that can be seen from Steel Force's MCBR? Isn't that huge white building that can be seen from the crest of Steel Force the warehouse building? And one more thing, how do you know this? I'm not saying I dont' believe you, I probably do, I'm just curious how you know.

Sorry, I lied, even one more thing. Is that barn behind Laser inhabited by locals or DP people? Does DP even own it?

Thanks in advance
DorneyMan88

Postby MJHammer1 » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:48 pm

<<Where exactly was this old in? Was it in the vicinity of Thunderhawk's old entrance???

The old inN was where there currently exists a little parking lot for visitors. It's pretty much across from the drop off SF's mid-course. It was "Memories" in it's last form.

For those CF "haters" - it wasn't torn down because Cedar Fair hates Dorney's history. It was a fire hazard like no other, probably not up to any sort of code... and falling apart. The same goes with Journey and Meteorite.

You can say what you want about how great the former owners were - but one thing you can't say is that they did much to preserve their buildings.

<<What warehouse/maintenance building area are you talking about? Are you talking about those tan (maybe not tan, I have trouble with colors, lol) buildings and collection of small barn buildings that can be seen from Steel Force's MCBR?>>

Yes, that's the park's main maintenance area aside from the warehouse.

<< Isn't that huge white building that can be seen from the crest of Steel Force the warehouse building?>>

Yes.

<< And one more thing, how do you know this? I'm not saying I dont' believe you, I probably do, I'm just curious how you know. >>

This individual obviously works at the park. If not, they certainly know someone who does. It's the only way to have this info.

They've wanted to remove all the small maintenance bldgs for several years now and build a central one next to the warehouse. The problem, as I heard it, was finding the money to do it.

Mike
MJHammer1

Postby zuckuss1 » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:51 pm

:(
zuckuss1

Return to General Discussion