Dorney History Museum?

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Dorney History Museum?

Postby rwk » Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:44 am

I have an idea, why doesn't Dorney have a museum to showcase it's history? Like pictures on the walls of former rides and buildings, Coasters Restaurant has some old photos like Flying Dutchman and some old Mill Chute photos. and displays of old artifacts like signs, etc. Cedar Point has a history museum. The Dorney Park book is the next best thing to a museum, lots of old photos. They have the book for sale in Carousel Gifts.
rwk

Postby DorneyDante » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:49 am

As far as I can remember, they do have some nostalgic pictures of Dorney in Coasters Drive-In. But yes, I do agree with you, that is a good idea.
DorneyDante

Postby DrNickRiviera995 » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:14 pm

:(
Last edited by DrNickRiviera995 on Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrNickRiviera995

Postby DorneyDante » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:27 pm

Interesting. Thats the year I'd say Dorney died.
DorneyDante

Postby DrNickRiviera995 » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:13 pm

:(
Last edited by DrNickRiviera995 on Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrNickRiviera995

Postby HighSpeedThrillCoaster » Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:23 pm

I remember back in the 80s there were picture signs around the park showing old views of the park and defunct rides. I would really love to see them brought back, and they could make a new one for Herc. But I don't really see it happening. Cedar Fair is too busy trying to compete with Six Flags. I think they are having success at bringing in the Great Adventure customers, last sunday Steel Force was closed while they cleaned graffiti off one of the trains :(
HighSpeedThrillCoaster

Postby rwk » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:09 pm

That's exactly right. I read somewhere else that DP is looking more toward the future and not towards retaining the past. They'd rather bury it and forget about it, so placing signs around the park showing the long gone rides would only dig up the past, and I don't think they want to do that. Those signs were only up for the 100th anniversary in 1984, which was the first season without the original 1916 carousel, and Bucket O' Blood dark ride, burned in Sept 1983. They brought out a replacement carousel in 84 that was in storage but dismantled it in 85. I believe 84 was the beginning of the end of the 'old' Dorney since they had to rebuild the whole middle section of the park where the carousel and dark ride were. They added the Musik Express, Apollo 2000, Enterprise, and new skee ball building to replace one lost in fire, and new ice cream stand and gift shop across from skee ball. The Fluff and Stuff was a shooting gallery at that time. The Iceberg survived the fire, even though it was in the path of the fire. Bob Ott's last season as owner was 1984. You can meet him Sat. Nov. 1st at Parkland Library on Walbert Av. off 309 from 2-4 pm. He's signing the Dorney Park book, which is as close to a Dorney museum you can get. They'll have copies on sale there. I have a mug and a ceramic apple from 1984. Oh, and CF is only concerned with the bottom line, I read other complaints about CF on other forums like trim brakes on coasters, too sterile, etc. But, there were positives, too. I mean I think it's great they fixed up the park but my only complaints apart from the lack of dark rides in the summer are food prices are too high, season pass prices are rising, too crowded in July and August, I mean packed, I stood in line at Wildwater for an hour and a half to get on the lazy river and burned my back in the 100 degree heat. An idea:They should put covers over the queues to protect peoples backs from the sun. This was a Saturday in August. I think DP is trying to siphon people from Six Flags by advertising two parks for the price of one, which explains the high number of minorities in the park now. I agree with DorneyDante, I've never seen the park so crowded in my entire life. However, on a day in June, the park was dead, everything was a walk on. I just hope they never get rid of the Whip and Zephyr, those are my current favorite rides since I like old rides and trains. I read that people say Dorney is the best park in the northeast, how can they claim Dorney is the best? I've seen better parks. Other people complain about Dorney's coasters saying trim brakes, Laser too rough, etc. I don't ride the coasters so I can't comment. I've actually read someone saying when I'm at Dorney I wish I was at Knoebels. look at this I found "Support historic preservation in general, because things that are gone can
never be brought back." Home park: Knoebel's (31 years and counting)
Oh, and read this "I still can't help but miss the old Dorney and all the park's old rides
that I grew up with though....Whenever I visit Dorney, all I want to do is leave and go to Knoebels...but that's just me." See, I'm not the only one with the same feelings. You should read the stuff on Google forums. And read this very long post Link he (or she) hits the nail on the head about the changes and the history and removals. Guess CF can't please everybody, they please the thrill seekers, but piss off the old Dorney lovers. Sorry for all these long posts but I just keep thinking of new things to say.
rwk

Postby dptalon135 » Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:57 pm

If you think Dorney's food prices are too high, don't go near a Six Flags park or any of the parks in Florida. I agree that there should be covers over the queues in Wildwater Kingdom... they have most of the major rides' queues in Dorney covered, Wildwater should be the same. As far as the rest, you can't please everybody... but please, what park with major roller coasters doesn't have at lease one ride with trims? And if someone thinks Laser is rough, they seriously need help, and should never go near an Arrow or Togo coaster.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby DorneyDante » Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:30 pm

Yeah, I also would like to hear someone call Laser rough. I'd laugh in their face. That is the most absurd comment I've ever heard. I have never heard someone say that.
DorneyDante

Postby geneticfreak » Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:48 pm

rwk wrote:I stood in line at Wildwater for an hour and a half to get on the lazy river and burned my back in the 100 degree heat.

If you waited for an hour and a half for a lazy river, you were waiting for the wrong one. The one that starts under Cascade Falls almost never has a line no matter how busy the park is. That's just a product of the one thing they really screwed up this year - eliminating some of the paths. People just can't seem to find that one.
geneticfreak

Postby PepsiFan01 » Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:47 am

Hi everyone! I've been a long time "lurker" on this board and decided it's time to join in the discussions.
There has been a lot of talk here about the days of old, and what Dorney used to have. Cedar Fair has obviously changed the face of the park. There is no question about that. There is barely anything left of old Dorney. But, a lot of the stuff they have added has made the park what it is today. Top roller coasters, the addition of the waterslides this past year, increased safety, improved walkways, landscaping is always working to improve the look of the park etc.
Change isn't always a good thing...and it isn't always easy...but sometimes it is for the better. There are those that would say that CF hasn't been good for the park, but honestly, if CF hadn't bought the park at the time they did, who knows where we would be today. Dorney was hurting at the time of the sale.
I'll always remember the times I had back in the day there. The sky ride, Journey, yellow ThunderHawk, Cheetah's Playland, the Care Bear show...all of those are good memories. But now, I think it is time to look ahead with CF. There is no going back, you know?
Some things I disagree with CF on. They have some wacky rules. Taking away the senior discount for next year wasn't the best decision in my opinion. But, CF has certainly brought in the crowds, and is keeping Dorney alive. No matter what they do, we'll have the memories. :)
PepsiFan01
PepsiFan01

Postby DorneyDante » Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:24 pm

I still maintain that CF could have tried a little harder to maintain Dorney's history. Kennywood is a strong example of a historical park with big thrill rides. For the most part I agree with the decisions and the improvements they have made, I just wish they would have relaxed on the bulldozers and wrecking balls more. There are rides they took away they I believe should still be there that would have maintained Dorney's charm and character. I used to really separate SF and CF, but after the recent announcement of WOF, I am starting to get worried. Like I have said in previous posts, I have been going to Dorney my entire life and it is not until recently that I have recently stopped going as much as I used to(particularly after the Herc announcement). "It's" just not there anymore for me. That "it" could probably be classified as the soul of the park.
DorneyDante

Postby PepsiFan01 » Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:25 pm

I can understand why you say the "soul" of the park is disappearing if not gone. CF really has changed everything around from rides to policies. The whole atmophere is different. The thing is CF doesn't care. Once they took over, Dorney Park became a mini-Cedar Point hiding under the name DP. That's why there is a lot of frustration over what was, and what is now. The people that remember what DP was like miss that. And I do too, really. They could have done stuff to preserve the history, but that's not CF, I guess. Still, all that aside, Dorney is improving each year as a theme park. And for that, I give CF credit.
PepsiFan01
PepsiFan01

Postby DorneyDante » Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:46 pm

Eeks, call me crazy but I don't see any theming at Dorney. I think you mean major thrill park.
DorneyDante

Postby rwk » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:07 am

The thing is CF is not as interested in preservation like Kennywood, Knoebels, or Playland in New York, those parks are National Historic Landmarks I think, and all of them have old dark rides. CF's too busy making their parks 'bigger and better' (Steel Force, Talon, Top Thrill Dragster, Millennium Force) to be concerned with 80 year old rides. Ok, so Dorney makes its new 'replacement' buildings like games, food, etc. look neat. But, the old buildings had character to them, like the old Coaster building. Now, the Thunderhawk just looks like an ordinary coaster without the building and tunnel.
Last edited by rwk on Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rwk

Next

Return to General Discussion