Dorney History Museum?

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Postby PepsiFan01 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:46 am

<<<CF's too busy making their parks 'bigger and better'>>>

Exactly. That's what they care about. And lots of people like that.

<<<If CF bulldozed Journey, why didn't Kennywood do the same to the Old Mill?>>>

Because Kennywood isn't CF. They care about preserving. CF doesn't. I think we've been over that issue. I wish they would preserve too. But they don't.

<<<CF advertises too much.>>>

That's not a bad thing. The goal is to bring in people and it does.

<<< I think all that stuff is just marketing ploy to steer people away from Hershey or Six Flags>>>

Maybe. But I think the main thing is to draw in the crowds to DP. They are a business just like any other park. Dorney does get crowded obviously. And there are lots of people from all over like you said due to the advertising. But don't go on the weekend if you don't like big crowds. The weekdays are far less crowded.

<<<But, the old buildings had character to them, like the old Coaster building. Now, the Thunderhawk just looks like an ordinary coaster without the building and tunnel.>>>

The old buildings did have character. But, as people have stated, CF is big on safety, and removing the tunnel was most likely a safety issue.
PepsiFan01
PepsiFan01

Postby zuckuss1 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:01 am

:(
Last edited by zuckuss1 on Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zuckuss1

Postby DorneyDante » Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:23 pm

zuckuss1 wrote:but I get paid to promote the park

Your on a promotions team? Very interesting, how'd you get a job like that and what are some of the things you do? I was always ineterested in what these type of people do, they often get overlooked but are a huge part of a company.
DorneyDante

Postby zuckuss1 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:41 pm

Last edited by zuckuss1 on Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zuckuss1

Postby dptalon135 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:56 pm

You all need to realize, too, that times have really changed. Dorney would have never survived in the location it has (outside Allentown and not far from Philly) as a classic style park like Knoebels or Kennywood. That's not what the people in those areas want. As far as removing the history, I'm willing to bet a lot of that stuff was starting to become maintenance problems, safety issues, and security issues. I suggest finding a copy of the book on Hersheypark's history, Hersheypark: The Sweetness of Success, and read up on why they removed their old stuff. Those old attractions weren't bringing in the people, and were becoming impossible to get some of the structures up to building code.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby DorneyDante » Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:13 pm

zuckuss1 wrote:Not promotions team, its called the Sales and Marketing Department. My job is to sell the fun that we produce :)

Marketing/Sales/Promotions, blah its all the same thing, you know what I meant. You still never answered my question as to what your job description is :wink: I'm just curious, don't mind my nosiness, I think its interesting.
DorneyDante

Postby zuckuss1 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:56 pm

Last edited by zuckuss1 on Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zuckuss1

Postby PepsiFan01 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:41 pm

I agree with you Josh, about the fact that DP wouldn't have survived in its location. And if CF hadn't stepped in, well, let's just say Dorney was in trouble back then...
Dorney is perfect for people in PA, NY, NJ, MD, and DE who want the top rides.
PepsiFan01
PepsiFan01

Postby rwk » Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:34 pm

OK, but New York area has Playland, a historical park with 3 dark rides-2 pretzel type and one old mill like Journey without the lift/drop. Plus a mirror maze. But, even a historical park like Playland adds thrill rides like Dominator-type rides and Top Spin-type rides to attract the youth although they preserve the old rides at the same time-they even have a Whip. But, the big drawback to that park is it runs on tickets only-no general admission or wristbands, free admission like Knoebels. That can actually get really expensive for an average family who wants to ride rides all day and needs to buy several books of tickets to last from morning until night. Dorney, on the other hand seems actually a better deal to most people because you pay once-and waterpark is included, too. Some of those 'historical' parks don't even have a waterpark, and if they do, just a few slides. New York also has Coney, the old Cyclone and 3 dark rides, but I bet to most New Yorkers it has a bad reputation, and it's expensive, too with pay-per ride. So, New Yorkers must look at Dorney and say 'hey, that park looks like a better deal than our own parks'. Even Six Flags' waterpark is not included in admission. Is that what sells people on Dorney, it has a full scale waterpark and is included in admission? The waterpark is always jammed in the summer.
rwk

Postby DorneyDante » Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:26 pm

zuckuss1 wrote:Actually, I'd rather be a little vague, sorry. I can't have someone figuring out exactly who I am here. Its a small company you know.

um, ok thats on you if you wanna bring something up then not talk about it. gotcha :wink: Stupid me for thinking this is a messageboard. *hits head on desk
DorneyDante

Postby dptalon135 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:11 am

Playland is a totally different kind of park. Playland is not owned by a family or any company; it's owned by the local government. Don't try and blame everything on Dorney and Cedar Fair. If you notice, there are few places that still have them, it's not like Dorney was the only place to get rid of old stuff. Old rides are maintenance problems, security problems, safety issues, capacity problems, and more I'm sure. The industry has changed, and parks are doing what they need to to make money. Not everyone can always be pleased.
dptalon135
Site Admin

long post, more rambling

Postby rwk » Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:11 am

The Pirate's Cove at Ocean City page at Laff in the dark mentions Dorney's former dark ride, Bucket O' Blood because it had the same pirate figure on the front. I was lucky to ride Bucket before it burned down in 1983. Some of you here, though were born after 1983 so of course you wouldn't remember it, unless your parents rode it. I was born 1974 and started going to Dorney around 1979 I think. Yes, I remember Dorney Park Rd. when it was open to traffic and the stop and go sign, and the Alfundo that would walk around the park and greet the kids, well now Snoopy greets kids, and FREE ADMISSION and buy tickets like Knoebels, my dad (now deceased-he died before Laser-March of 1986, he worked for Beth. Steel) would buy a whole book and then I'd race for the Zephyr (at that time Zephyr didn't have the safety gates that make you feel like your in a prison, just a chain across, you could stick your foot out, and there was no queue line, everyone fought to get on the train) and the kiddie rides and the Gold Mine, etc. I remember the tunnel on Zephyr by where Laser is now (former zoo). The tunnel was removed when Laser went in I think. And, the employees rode around on carts, like golf carts. Bob Ott the owner would ride around the park on one. He is now 80-something and living in West Allentown. In fact he's 2 miles from my house. Ott sold the park in 1984, the 100th Anniversary. Next year will be the 120th. I know my history. I prefer 'Disney' type parks rather than Six Flags type parks. Look up Six Flags New England (formerly Riverside) to see what I mean. "Despite all the recent improvements to SFNE in recent years, the park still suffers a few problems. Admission to the park is pricey as is parking and food. Ride operations are not always what they should be, but they seem to be improving with each season. The park's biggest problem is crowds. During mid-summer weekends, it seems all of New England has flocked to the park and wait times for major rides stretch well over two hours in some cases. Your best bet for a good time is to visit in the early or late season. The park is very clean and quite beautiful, and is definitely worth while when not overly crowded." Sounds a lot like Dorney, doesn't it? And look at this "Known for many years as Riverside, the park began as a picnic grove in 1840 and has a long history on which to draw. A circa-1909 carousel (although Riverside installed it in 1940) graces the park's front entrance in a lavish building canopy. The classic 1940 "Thunderbolt" wooden roller coaster includes the ride's original, evocative neon sign at its entrance. But, in typical Six Flags fashion, just about everything else about the park's glorious, if tacky, past is gone." JUST LIKE DP!
"In fact, there is little to distinguish Six Flags New England from any of the corporation's other parks. The company tends to strip away any local ambiance in favor of a homogenized, one-size-fits-all ethos. This can be especially jarring when it comes to food. As with most Six Flags parks (and most theme parks, for that matter), the food stands are often overcrowded and the dining choices are limited, overpriced, and bland. Where are the lobsters, steamers, clam chowder, baked beans, corn bread, and other regional favorites? This is Six Flags NEW ENGLAND, right? Instead, it's the usual suspects, such as warmed-over hamburgers, Subway sandwiches, greasy chicken strips, and coagulated pizza."
SFNE is just like CF Dorney Park. Corporate parks are chain parks, the same thing in every park. In fact I made a joke. Cedar Unfair and Sux Flags. So there. I'll take my Bushkill and Knoebels anyday. Sorry for all the long posts. The End. THIS IS MY FINAL POST ABOUT THIS SUBJECT.
Last edited by rwk on Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rwk

Postby dptalon135 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:23 am

No, don't even begin to compare CF to Six Flags. It doesn't work. Dorney is most definitely NOT over-priced, very clean, and has very good operations. I have only seen a ride down at Dorney for the entire day for serious situations, like Steel Force's lift motor dying or waiting for some part to be delivered for another ride and that such. Six Flags runs quite differently. Dorney has been getting crowded this year, but you can't even begin to compare it to how crowded Six Flags parks get. And yes, Dorney attracts some very unique groups of people, but I never have really seen any problems with graffitti or other big situations that needed security. CF still leaves a lot of character to each of their parks. You can't walk into one of their parks and have already ridden all of the roller coasters at another park like you can with Six Flags. While it may not be the feel you all know from Dorney's past, it does have it's own character. Now let's please move on...
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby PepsiFan01 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:26 am

Wow talk about rambling rwk. :D

<<<While rollercoasters would thrill people in a way they never have in thier everyday lives, dark rides would take them into a dream world, out of thier regular enviorment. With the absence of these rides at parks, it seems alot of what an amusment park is about has been lost.>>>

Again, this is your opinion, and I am sure others feel this way. The thing is you have stated this in sooo many posts. We all get the picture. I respect what you are saying; it is just we've heard it before lol. And I don't see what the fascination is with dark rides. But that's just my opinion. People have different interests.

<<<Corporate parks are chain parks, the same thing in every park. In fact I made a joke. Cedar Unfair and Sux Flags. So there. I'll take my Bushkill and Knoebels anyday. Sorry for all the long posts. The End. THIS IS MY FINAL POST ABOUT THIS SUBJECT.>>>

Okay, you don't like CF. But they aren't going to change and suddenly become like Knoebels. So what is the point of complaining so much? DP will never be the way it was. Change is inevitable. I am glad you say that this is your final post on this. I think we need some new topics. :)
PepsiFan01
PepsiFan01

Postby rwk » Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:34 pm

The posts with "" are not mine. They were taken from another forum. Like "While rollercoasters would thrill people... I copied the text from Google forum to show other's opinions which are similar to mine. But, did you read about Riverside, now Six Flags New England and how similar it is to CF? "Known for many years as Riverside, the park began as a picnic grove in 1840 and has a long history on which to draw. A circa-1909 carousel (although Riverside installed it in 1940) graces the park's front entrance in a lavish building canopy. The classic 1940 "Thunderbolt" wooden roller coaster includes the ride's original, evocative neon sign at its entrance. But, in typical Six Flags fashion, just about everything else about the park's glorious, if tacky, past is gone.""In fact, there is little to distinguish Six Flags New England from any of the corporation's other parks. The company tends to strip away any local ambiance in favor of a homogenized, one-size-fits-all ethos." I got that text from a review of the park. It's not just CF and Dorney Park, other parks do the exact same thing.
rwk

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion