Doctor of Doom 3-D

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Doctor of Doom 3-D

Postby MJHammer1 » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:26 pm

A question for anyone who may know, perhaps Zuckuss1?

Dorney had on their web page till almost October that a new haunted house titled Doctor of Doom 3-D would premier at Halloweekends this year. It obviously did not.

Anyone know why exactly?

I'm assuming budget cuts since the park didn't have a spectacular year, but that's just a guess.

Mike
MJHammer1

Postby zuckuss1 » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:32 pm

:(
Last edited by zuckuss1 on Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zuckuss1

Postby MJHammer1 » Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:00 pm

Locations for a new haunted house? Exciting!

• Next to Scrambler/Thunderhawk...the plot that's been empty for years.
• In front of the overflow lot next to SF's Station.
• There's always Paratrooper's old plot.
• Pick one of the several places behind Laser.

I'm just excited that they're building something JUST for a Haunted House.

I was told the new flat will go "down by Steel Force" - I feel like that'd be the plot in front of the overflow lot... if I got to pick the spot for the house I'd use the plot next to scrambler. Ya know, sorta in honor of Journey.

Zuckuss1, any add'l comments?

Mike
MJHammer1

Postby zuckuss1 » Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:24 pm

Last edited by zuckuss1 on Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zuckuss1

Postby rwk » Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:45 pm

My prayers have been answered. A new dark ride for Dorney Park! (why can't they have any haunted rides in the summer, too crowded?)
rwk

Postby dptalon135 » Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:46 pm

Permanent Haunted House? Awesome! Was this going to be a ride through or walk through? Personally, I think that having a permanent haunted house and only have it open at specific times of the year is just silly.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby zuckuss1 » Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:26 pm

Last edited by zuckuss1 on Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zuckuss1

Postby rwk » Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:12 pm

I like walk throughs because of the hidden surprises and live actors, but I also like ride throughs like Haunted Mansion at Knoebel's, Haunted Pretzel, etc. I've been on many dark rides. I was hoping HalloWeekends would become as good as Cedar Point because CP has more haunted houses than DP, CP has I think 4 and DP 2. It would be great that DP gets one more adult 'scary' walk through attraction next year, Horror Theater is getting a bit old hat by now. And why not a Sally haunted mansion type ride called Ghost Blasters? Will DP EVER have a 'ride-through' like Ghost Blasters? What would be the problem with having a haunted house open during the summer season? Knoebel's has theirs open all summer.
rwk

Postby DorneyMan88 » Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:42 pm

The answer to your quesition is simple rwk, it's people. Knoebels does not get the kind of people that DP does. Just look at how they act during the season to normal rides, graphiti(sp?) on the trains, line jumping. Now, a dark haunted house, and some jerks mixed only come out to a big pot of trouble. You forget, we also live in a sue happy society. Even if DP still had it's dark rides of yesteryear, they would have been sued at least once or twice by now. DP has enough to deal with during Halloweekends. Be glad they at least do that. Besides, I'm perfectly happy the way things are now. During the summer, it's all of the major rides and fudge for me. When fall hits, it's all relaxation and appreciation of the smaller rides. It must be the darn fall air, lol.
DorneyMan88

Postby rwk » Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:57 pm

What about Six Flags Great Adventure? Don't they have 'bad' crowds? They have dark rides, Skull Mountain (isn't that an indoor coaster?) and Houdini's Great Escape (is that a walkthrough or just a sit-down show, like a theater?) Anyone been to Six Flags in NJ that can answer?
rwk

Postby DorneyMan88 » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:15 pm

Well obviously a coaster is different, since you are restrained during the ride. Sorry, but I'm still not sure what Houdini is after still two trips to SFGAd. You don't see a lot of deaths (if hardly any) in Cedar Fair. Well I know DP has only had I think one since Cedar Fair took over. Cedar Fair takes a park, gives it great rides, a great atmosphere (though most of you would probably call it sterile) improves its overall attendance, all while keeping high safety standards. Though, above all of this, they work in the factor that they are a business, (and a publicly traded one at that), so their major concern is to make money and please the stockholders
DorneyMan88

Postby dptalon135 » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:22 pm

Houdini is a Vekoma Mad House. I can't really describe it in words, just search around for "Vekoma Mad House" and you'll find some info. And yes, there is a big difference between dark rides like Skull Mountain and Houdini to haunted houses and the like. As DorneyMan88 said, in them, you are securely strapped in, and there really is no way to get out and do anything destructive, not to mention your moving, especially Skull Mountain. Although Dorney doesn't get near the vandalism Six Flags Great Adventure does (in fact, the only real vandalism I've seen at Dorney is names and such scratched into the "For Your Safety" tags on Steel Force, but not any other ride), a walk through haunted house in particular leaves lots of chances for bad stuff to happen. Also, think of this... if they were to have a permanent dark ride or walk through haunted house, what would the draw be for HalloWeekends if they can get the scares during the summer?
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby DorneyDante » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:32 pm

I don't know if anyone else actually remembers this but Dorney did indeed have a permanent haunted house during the summer. This was back in '91 or '92 I think and I think it only lasted a season or two. It was in a building that I'm not even sure is still there anymore. It was in a building down by Thunder Creek Mountain and the fountain thats down there. It was a pay attraction like Thunder Creek Speedway and Skyscraper. It was a walk-through haunted house. It was pretty good from what I remember. Anyone else remember this?
DorneyDante

It was called Mystery Mansion

Postby rwk » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:45 pm

Oh, YES! I was in that! Summer of '92, after my hs graduation. It was only up one season, Yeah, I bet CF didn't like it since they bought DP in July '92, and like Journey decided to get rid of it. It was a pay extra attraction, like the go-karts and bumper boats. It was next to Krazy Kars, which were new in '92 because before it was Disco Dodge with real electric bumper cars. The haunted house was quite long, and had scenes like coffins, etc. I don't remember it all, except seeing lit 'exit' signs around every corner and wondering 'where the heck is the exit?' It had live actors like the HalloWeekends. When I came back to the park in Spring '93 I was bummed because for the first time Journey was gone! Nothing was there except dirt and straw. The Mystery Mansion was gone, too and never came back. I wish DP would have brought back the Mystery Mansion for HalloWeekends, it was better than the Horror Theater, I think and longer. The front I think looked like the front of Boo Hill in a way. I wish I had taken a picture.
rwk

Postby DorneyDante » Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:28 pm

Yeah, I remember it being really long. I also remember there being numerous exits throughout the course so if you were that scared you could get out. All I can really remember from it was the fortune teller/ gypsy at the beginning. Right after that was the shower scene from Psycho, there was a guy behind a shower curtain with a butcher knife and I remember him saying, "mother is that you," then coming after us and chasing us. I also remember Freddy Krueger being in it, but he didn't really do much he just sat in a chair by the doorway as we walked by, maybe he didn't feel like getting up, lol, I dunno. The rest I don't remember , we possibly might have booked it outta one of the exits shortly after (keep in mind I was like 11 at the time). What part did u play in the haunted house and is that building even there anymore?
DorneyDante

Next

Return to General Discussion