Doctor of Doom 3-D

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Postby rwk » Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:43 am

I didn't work in it, I just visited it. The building is gone, it was just a temporary structure. The haunted house was the building itself, like a portable haunted house. I believe Dorney may have rented it out for that season. I have no idea who made it or where it came from. I wonder if CF had anything to do with it's permanent disappearance after '92? Because they purchased the park in July. I really liked Dorney that year, they had the Meteorite, Journey, plus that new haunted house, Mystery Mansion. Here http://www.themeparkbrochures.com/1992/dp1992.html is a 1992 DP brochure. Look on the last pic with the waterslides and admission prices and look at the fine print. Speed Boats, Bumper Boats, Race Cars, Mini Golf, Mystery Mansion, and Tank & Boat Tag are NOT included in admission price. That's why I hated CF in the beginning, DP went from a dark ride park in '92 to a non-dark ride park by '94 with the removal of the Meteorite. From '94 until HalloWeekends in '98 Dorney had no dark rides of any kind at any time of the year. The only dark ride left in the Lehigh Valley area is the Haunted Pretzel at Bushkill Park. But, due to last winter's heavy snows the roof caved in on the Haunted Pretzel and it was closed all this summer. This is from the Bushkill Park website- *Note - The Haunted Pretzel is closed for major renovations but will re-open in 2004. I'll be going back there next summer to check it out.
rwk

Postby DrNickRiviera995 » Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:43 pm

:(
Last edited by DrNickRiviera995 on Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrNickRiviera995

Bushkill

Postby rwk » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:12 am

Well, Bushkill does have new owners. One of the former owners, Mel Heavener died in 1986, and Mabel "Mom" Long died in 1989. Neal Fehnel bought the park in the early 90's I think and fixed it up, painted stuff. The park was looking run down before that, and I'm glad Neal bought it and fixed it up, and didn't remove much of anything (except worn out kiddie rides). I'm glad that there's at least a traditional park with dark ride and fun house near me. As for Dorney, I'm glad they're getting that new Doctor of Doom even it's only for HalloWeekends. At least there will be another haunted house besides Horror Theater (which I've been through 50+ times already total since '98.) And the less scary Magical House on Boo Hill. I'm ready for a new haunted house, Cedar Point has more than DP at HalloWeekends, why?
rwk

Postby dptalon135 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:25 am

Because Cedar Point is a much, much bigger park and is the flagship of the chain.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby rwk » Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:37 am

Can someone who has inside info explain exactly what this Doctor of Doom is like? Is it an adult haunted house like Horror Theater? And if it will be a permanent structure, will it be 'plain' during the summer season while it's closed or will it look like a haunted house on the outside, even in the summer? I'm still wondering where it might be located :? Lower part of park near Thunderhawk or Laser or Steel Force or upper part of park?
rwk

Previous

Return to General Discussion