Help Me Date This DP Brochure!

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Help Me Date This DP Brochure!

Postby MJHammer1 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:05 pm

I just scanned in this older Dorney Park brochure and realized that I can't tell exactly what year it is from!

I figured instead of posting what I'm using to make an educated guess I'd start a topic and let everyone figure it out together. (hey, the boards are slow lately!) I'm linking to this thread from NPN as well for discussion so maybe some new blood will come to the DPO forums!

So, what year is it from?

Mike
MJHammer1

Re: Help Me Date This DP Brochure!

Postby PepsiFan01 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:06 pm

I don't know what year that is from, but it is priceless. Classic, olden DP. Good stuff!
PepsiFan01

Postby MozzMarr86 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:17 pm

Well the Bucket 'O Blood is there, so we've narrowed it down between 1974 and 1983.
Dorney Park Road is still on the map cutting through the park and I believe that closed in 1980. That gives us six seasons to work with.
That's all I could get.
MozzMarr86

Postby strwrse1 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:33 pm

I can narrow it down even further. The Flying Dutchman is not there yet. I believe that was 1978. And if I ca venture a guess, the brochure would be from 1974, based that it lists the Bucket O Blood as a new attraction. That was the first year that it was no longer Pirates Cove.
strwrse1

Postby Steelforceguy » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:05 pm

I'd guess this is the 1977 Season brochure.

Strwrse1 is right about the Flying Dutchman missing on the map, so it's before 1978. MozzMarr86 was right to key in on the Bucket of Blood, new for 1974, but the Glass House is on the park map.

Per the Laff in the Dark article, http://www.laffinthedark.com/articles/d ... orney5.htm, the glass house was added for 1975. The brochure states the “Palacio de Cristal" / Glass House is "One of the newer additions". It doesn't say it's "the newest". This designation in the brochure is reserved for the caption of the Flying Bobs.

Although totally possible, I think it's unlikely two new rides would have been installed the same season. If the Glass House was new for 1975, the Flying Bobs for 1976, then pictures with people on these rides and trees full of leaves would be appropritate to be printed and ready for 1977.

I was too young to remember myself--can anyone actually confirm for sure?

-SFG
Steelforceguy

Postby MJHammer1 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:48 pm

^ Your guess sounds pretty good SFG. I didn't even get that close in my guess so great job! I have some older ones from the 60's that I'll post eventually.

Mike
MJHammer1

Return to General Discussion