Do you remember?

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Do you remember?

Postby rwk » Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:45 pm

I have some tricky questions for you. I know the answers to all of them, so if you're stuck on one, I'll give the answer.

Question #1. What was there before the Musik Express? The Musik Express was added in 1984. What was there on the Musik's current spot 1983 and earlier?

Question #2. What was on the spot before Hercules? Not on the hill, but more where the path to WWK by Thunder Canyon is.

Question #3. What ride was located past the Zephyr station and along DP Rd.? It was covered.

Question #4. What was on the spot where Patio Pizza is now through '93?

Question #5. What was located on Dominator's spot until fall 1983? Hint: It was built there in 1932.

Question #6. What was located on the spot before Laser?

Question #7. What years did White Water Landing, Thunder Canyon, Antique Carousel and Steel Force debut?

Question #8. Who were the former owners of the park prior to Cedar Fair? Hint: There were several that owned the park at different years.

Question #9. What was located on the spot of Thunder Creek Speedway until fall 1985? Hint: It burned down.

Question #10. How many coasters did the park have prior to 1986?
rwk

Postby DorneyDante » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:41 pm

#1- bucket o'blood
#2-no ride occupied the hercules site prior to its construction in 1989
#3- Journey to the center of the earth? not too sure
#4-the iceberg/meteorite
#5-the carousel
#6-the zoo
#7-WWL(1993); Steel Force (1997); Thunder Canyon ('94 or '95); antique carousel (I have no freakin clue. sometime in the mid-nineties?)
#8-harry weinstein, bob ott
#9-the dance hall
#10-2
DorneyDante

Postby DrNickRiviera995 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:30 am

:)
Last edited by DrNickRiviera995 on Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrNickRiviera995

Postby rwk » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:58 am

Amswer to number 2 would be the Dorney Park Speedway. I have old park maps and comparing an '87 map showing the speedway (its final year) it was located between the back end of Thunder Creek Mountain and the old south parking lot between DP and WWK and on an after-CF map, about '94 the White Water Landing is built on the former speedway spot and bleachers were located where Hercules station is. It's hard to compare the maps in that area, though because much has changed there by Herc's station, in the '80s there were no pathways there at all, just trees according to the maps. Maybe a path to access the speedway. I bet the neighbors complained about the speedway, too with all the noise, and that led to its closing. I remember hearing the loud race cars. As I mentioned in another post I am recreating "old" DP in RCT2 during Bob Ott's time (1967-1985) but mine will be about early 80s before the fire but after Thunder Creek Mountain was built as it will include the Bucket o' Blood and PTC Carrousel. I think I started going to the park in 1980, not sure exactly. I did manage to get last rides on the carousel and Bucket before they burned. I was 9 at the time. And, there were 3 coasters in the park early 80's, The Coaster (Thunderhawk), Flying Dutchman, and Miniature Coaster, a kiddie coaster made by Schiff was located across from the Disco Dodge (Krazy Kars) along the creek, approx. where the photo booth etc. is now. Rides like Steel Force, Dominator, and Talon are '90s inventions, the first SF type in the US was the Magnum at CP, '89, the first inverted coaster was in 1992. When was the first space shot (dominator type)? And, the covered ride by Zephyr was the Indy 500 race car ride. I never rode it, just watched. The thing about DP is that they had several rides that were unique to DP, like the Zephyr, Iceberg, etc. that you coudn't find in any other park anymore. That's why I wept when they started coming down due to the new owner CF having higher safety standards than Ott and Weinstein did, and seeing how other parks still had similar rides and made no effort to eliminate them. But, it's not just DP, it's Paramount, too as they bought Kings Dominion in 1992 and a few years later eliminated the last dark rides, the Haunted River and Smurf Mountain, as well as the sky ride and monorail and steam train. Iwas there '93 and '97. I mean I was glad on my '93 visit they had a haunted boat ride whereas DP just got rid of theirs, but in '97 I was upset at seeing the mountain closed, and the following year, the Volcano went into the mountain, an inverted. They took out slow rides for fast coaster rides. Is that a trend with theme parks, no one likes the slower rides anymore? Or is it theme parks today are trying to appeal to today's adrenaline rush-seeking youth? (Which explains Dorney's huge increase in attendance at the debut of Talon) I believe if the park today was the same way as pre-CF, today's youth, teens would be pretty bored without enough "thrill" rides. Were all those additions necessary for the park to survive? I guess I'm just too old-school. I can't accept change, though I must. You want to read something funny? In one of my pre CF brochures it says "because we're owned and operated by a family, not some distant mega-corporation." What is a "distant mega-corporation"? Is CF considered a "distant mega-corporation"? I don't know, in recent years the lack of dark rides and humongous crowds have turned me off of DP. Whenever I'm at DP I think of Knoebels, Bushkill, Playland, Ocean City, MD, Williams Grove, PA, Waldameer, Kennywood, etc. I stand by the fenced area by Thawk and think. I miss the Journey as much as I miss my father. But, there's no way in heck my father is ever coming back, so same for Journey. If only I had a DeLorean... I also stand by the old Mine entrance and wonder what's down there, if only someone would let me in once, and I stand between the Tilt and Musik Express and think of the Bucket O' Blood, the pretzel carts with their unique sound, the clickety-clack and the grinding of the motors. I think of all the kids that will never experience all that, unless they go elsewhere. At least us older over 25 have the memories of that. Next year I'm going back to Bushkill to check out the renovated Haunted Pretzel. I met Joel Styer there, of ridezone.com who took pictures of Dorney in the '80s.
rwk

Postby DorneyDante » Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:15 pm

CF would definitley be considered a distant-megacorporation. I think what you may want to think about rwk is this: bigger corporations have the resources to change the park and eliminate this and add that when needed. Although a small park may want to do that, they don't necessarily have the resources or the will to take a chance on actually doing it. Large corporations, however, can do this because they have the funds to do it. Anytime CF added or took something away they were taking a chance and it was costing them money and either in the LONG RUN it worked out or it didn't. If it did, then terrific, but if not o well, count your losses, you can afford it because your a big company. To summarize what I'm saying: big companies are more daring and can make bigger decisions. Small companies may also want to make these changes but don't have the funds or desire to take a chance. Just food for thought.
DorneyDante

Postby rwk » Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:56 pm

It's funny how the park under Weinstein prided itself on being a family park and not a corporation in the brochure, yet just a few years after that he sold out to Cedar Fair. Did Weinstein want to retire, or did CF give him a good offer? Did he think it was best in the long run for him to step down and CF to run the park because CF could do things he could've never done due to limited $ like Steel Force, new entrance plaza, remodeling the park from top to bottom like the repaved paths, landscaping. And who is Chris Ozimek? Here is an interview http://www.onridecentral.com/interviews.asp?id=2 What is Public Relations Manager?.
Last edited by rwk on Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rwk

Postby dptalon135 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:33 pm

This topic is starting to go off topic into areas we've already discussed...
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby JtotheMurphy » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:32 pm

and who is doing it?
the same guy who IM's me and tries to talk about this same stuff. I really think that RWK needs to calm down with his whole historic preservation and dark ride material. Your beating a dead horse buddy.
JtotheMurphy

I'm sorry for ranting again, this is it.

Postby rwk » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:59 pm

I'm not the only one who feels the same way about DP. There's a guy on Google forums who actually won't return to the park because it changed too much and he has vivid memories of the old Bob Ott park. You may read the article here
rwk

Postby DrNickRiviera995 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:58 pm

:)
Last edited by DrNickRiviera995 on Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrNickRiviera995

Postby DorneyMan88 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:09 pm

Yes, rwk, we all realize that you are not the only one who feels this way about DP. BUT, why must you ask the same thing over and over and over and over and over again? If you really hate DP that much because it changed so much, then stop going, stop complaining. No offense of course.
DorneyMan88

Postby rwk » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:38 pm

To keep it short, the reason I hate the path that Dorney took is because I grew up with the old side of it, when it was more like Knoebel's, Williams Grove, etc. Free or low admission, dark rides, Alfundo, real bumper cars, etc. and when CF took over I didn't like what was happening in the first few years although I do like the new water rides and train and sit-down restaurants, and antique carousel. But, the thing is it's the only park I am able to go to on a regular basis, Knoebel's is too far away to go every week. If Knoebel's was in my back yard I'd be on that Haunted Mansion more times than you can count. At least there's Bushkill nearby with classic rides, Whip, bumper cars, Haunted Pretzel, Fun House, carousel. Now there I could go every week since it's just down 22. I'd just have to have our mom drive us there. She thinks it's small and dinky, though. When I see parks like Waldameer, I wish we'd move there. We can't travel much due to finances. One multi-day vacation per summer, and a few day trips here and there. Ok. End of story.
rwk

Return to General Discussion