Idea for Wooden Coaster

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Idea for Wooden Coaster

Postby JtotheMurphy » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:08 am

Although Cedarfair is not known for building wooden coasters (or maintaining them) I believe that the next addition to the park will indeed be a new wooden rollercoaster, and by this I mean after Hercules replacement.
With this in mind, I have brainstormed a wonderful idea, and just thought I would share it with everyone else. Ok, here we go....You know how Steel Forces photo station has a gate to the right hand side of it? Imagine that being the entryway into the queue line. I realize some employee parking will be used here, but bear with me. Now just think about how the park could build a coaster that climbs up along the side of the employee parking lot and turns around at the top of the lot. Due to the incline of the land money could be saved on building materials and all. After turning around at the top, the course could then plumment into the area behind the horribly placed Steel Force bathroom and use up the land back there that is pretty much cut off for any expansion due to Steel Force's brakerun.
As for the exact layout, go figure. It just seems like too good of an idea to me and would take advantage of land that would otherwise go unused. I just hope that the ghost of zuckuss still inhabits these boards and gives mention of this glorious idea to the planning department at Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom....Two Great Parks, One Low Price.
JtotheMurphy

Postby DorneyMan88 » Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:55 am

Perhaps Cedar Fair will start building woodies considering that S&S is in that market now. It seems that they are popular, since their 2nd and 3rd installation are being installed only in S&S's second year as woodie makers. And, seeing as how Cedar Fair has a great relationship with S&S because of their towers. But myself, I would prefer a GCI twister woodie with lots of crossovers and Millennium Flyer Trains. :lol:
DorneyMan88

Postby MJHammer1 » Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:10 am

Just an FYI -

During the approval process of Steel Force, Dorney agreed to not building any rides/expand the park beyond SF. So, the employee parking lot is off limits I believe.

This was many years ago and things do change, so who knows.

Mike
MJHammer1

Postby sfnitro230 » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:05 pm

Darn, that would be the perfect place for a new woodie.
sfnitro230

Postby dptalon135 » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:31 pm

It's a good idea, but not the best place... I mean, you'd be surrounded by, well, gravel. However, I don't have a better suggestion... I'm drawing a blank on where they could put a new woodie.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby DrNickRiviera995 » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:58 pm

:)
Last edited by DrNickRiviera995 on Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrNickRiviera995

Postby geneticfreak » Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:58 pm

Actually, I remember there being a rumor that a woodie was being planned and approved for the lower area of the park, running from Monster to Laser on the parking lot side. With the new land purchase, that would make some of the parking area available for park expansion.

With the location of the Steel Force restrooms, you have to believe that there was some future planning involved there. Even though it is used for overflow parking now, I think eventually that large grassy area will become home to a major ride or another midway.
geneticfreak

Postby JtotheMurphy » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:08 pm

I agree with you completely that the Steel Force parking area will someday be used for expansion, but I actually believe this has only happened because of the opening of the Vietnam Memorial land. The bathrooms are located in the off-the-path spot because they use to belong to the old picnic grove that was once located there. Once Steel Force was added to the park in 97 and management thought they could save some money and just refurbished the old bathrooms, rather than building new ones.
JtotheMurphy

Return to General Discussion