Park too crowded?

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Park too crowded?

Postby rwk » Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:01 am

Is it just me, or does it seem the park is getting more and more crowded every year since Cedar Fair bought the park, or more specifically since Steel Force, since that is the only hypercoaster in the East besides Six Flags in NJ. On a sunny Saturday in July and August the park keeps packing 'em in. At Wildwater the waits are an hour or two for the tube rides. In the 100 degree baking sun to boot. They really need covers for the queue lines to shade the sun. Like Wildwater River, Riptide Run. It's just a sea of humans of all races in Wildwater on a sunny Sat. afternoon in July and August. And all the busses, are those chartered tours? I recall one from Scranton with middle school teens, another from Brooklyn with all blacks, etc. Oh, one time I met a blind girl late teens at the antique carousel at Halloweekends 02, and I met her again by accident last summer at the Zephyr getting off. She was using a cane and was with friends. She's from Hackettstown, NJ. She is totally blind since birth. I saw they made a park map for blind people, the first in the US. Does anyone recall the crowd levels before Cedar Fair, like in the 80's and early 90's, compared with current levels? And what are the slowest months/days and busiest months/days?
rwk

Postby PepsiFan01 » Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:01 am

On the whole, the park's attendance has gone up considerably since Cedar Fair took over. In the 80's it was a lot less busy- but look at how much the park has added since then. It makes complete sense. However, last year was a very poor year attendance wise. The rainy season did not bring in the crowds in the beginning, and it never really picked up after that. Saturday's in July and August are always busy though. This is due to the amount of planned group trips and catered outings. That brings in the buses from all over the place. The best days to go are the weekdays, particularly the middle of the week. June is a nice month to go. The crowds thin out in the waterpark early, and it is possible to get on nearly everything with little wait. The busiest months are July and August, with Saturday's being the busiest. Toward the end of August, the crowds really pick up on the weekdays as well.
PepsiFan01

Postby DorneyDante » Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:45 pm

I never remember waiting any longer than 5-10 to get on any coaster in the eighties (maybe herc when it first opened but thats about it)

On one particular saturday in august last season I waited over an hour and a 15 min to ride talon. (this was a rainy day too)

You can pretty much guess what I'm getting at here.
DorneyDante

lines

Postby rwk » Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:45 pm

I'm sure some of you saw the extreme crowds last August at the entrance it was like insane, lines upon lines of people waiting to get into the park, and alot of ghetto people from NY, blacks, but overall the crowd was mixed, alot of whites, too. I have pictures in dorney brochures of crowds at Wildwater in the 80's, looked busy, but not nearly as busy as the last several summers. And in the 80's pictures looked like more whites, caucasians, not as many blacks etc. as now. But it does depend on the month and weather, like in early June on a semi-sunny/cloudy Sat. the park was dead and all rides I rode were a walk on, but on a sunny Sat. in July, August, that's a different story. Last Halloweekends the first Sat. it rained the park was dead and rides were a walk on, very short lines for the haunted houses. But, the next weekend, sunny and busy.
rwk

Postby dptalon135 » Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:59 pm

What's your point? Yes, as a park adds new things and improves, it's going to get more crowded. That's what they want, that's what we want. The more paying customers, the better the new stuff we get each year.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby PepsiFan01 » Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:56 pm

Exactly Josh.

Once again, rwk, there are many variables that play into the attendance. They have been pointed out. I don't see what your point is in mentioning the types of people that come to the park. The park brings in people from all over now: NY, DE, MD, NJ, and beyond. Many different people make up the park's attendance. But so what? Yes, it was different in the 80's. But the park was smaller then. More rides, better coasters etc. draw more people. Simple as that. And, by the way, I don't recommend ever going to the waterpark on a Saturday in July or August. Go on a weekday and your problems will be lessened considerably.
PepsiFan01

Postby DorneyDante » Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:39 pm

eeks, racial slurs

*runs
DorneyDante

Postby DeadManWalking » Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:30 pm

It does get pretty crowded on summer days, but not as crowded as GADV seems to get or Hershey.

Crowded can mean good, more income for the park. It doesnt matter what race or ethnicity they are, as long as they're following the rules.
DeadManWalking

Postby DEVILDAN2000 » Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:37 pm

I find the best time to go, is June. Even though summer officaialy beings in June, no one goes to the park, even on the hottest days WWK's lines were good.
DEVILDAN2000

Postby sfnitro230 » Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:34 am

Any weekday in the summer the park is not very crowded. Also, as some of you already said, crowds are good. They mean the park is being successful which in turn means more great new rides.
sfnitro230

Return to General Discussion