2012 Operating Calendar Posted

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Re: 2012 Operating Calendar Posted

Postby Steelforceguy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:25 pm

dorneydude wrote:
Uh yea...by CHOICE...I'm sure they are perfectly happy with no OT....by CHOICE...yea especially when jobs are scarce...the good companies are the one's that do not screw their employees!

As far as the maintenance dude who was working those 12 hour days...God bless...but I wonder how safe that was.....which would you rather have in the hospital...a nurse in the 11 hour of a 12 hour shift or a nurse in the 7th.

I feel bad for the kids out there getiing taken advantage of. I really wonder what the impact would be of just hiring a few more part timers OR just paying the OT.....when you have to count every nickel and dime...makes me think CF is a bad investment.

Um yeah, working is a choice. No guns at the gate keeping you inside the fence. Who goes around saying their employer pays them too much?

When you sign the contract to work at the park (at least park operations), you can chose "flex" with a slightly higher pay rate, or "non-flex" and tell them what hours you are available to be scheduled for work. Jiggy shared his story's about working many hours in maintenance. I didn't get the impression he was "forced" to work them.

I worked crazy hours at Dorney. Where-else as a 18-21 year old was I going to find an employer willing to give me 70 hour work weeks ALL summer long? Dorney was a gold mine to me!

So let's say that amusement parks lose their "seasonal" status. You think they are going to pay overtime? NO. My hours would have been slice in half, and they would hire more people. I would have been scraping to find a 2nd job and then struggle to make two different schedules line up. End result, I still would have been working 70 hour weeks to making same money I wanted/needed.

If sitting on a stool in the tower of Thundercreek Mountain, watching young women in bikini tops waving to Hi toyou, and getting paid to do it is "being taken advantage of", then I like it! :mrgreen: (From what I've experienced, maintenance has similar "perks")
Steelforceguy

Postby Fun » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:40 pm

From the PA Department Of Labor:

Exemptions from Both Minimum Wage and Overtime Rates:

In employment by a public amusement or recreational establishment, organized camp, or religious or nonprofit educational conference center, if (i) it does not operate more than seven months a year or (ii) during the preceding calendar year, the average receipts for any 6 months were not more than 33 1/3% of its average receipts for the other 6 months of such year.

Seasonal amusement parks in PA are well within their right to not pay overtime. Dorney doesn't have to pay minimum wage either, but they do.
Fun

Postby PepsiFan01 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:11 am

Most of the people who work the crazy hours actually really like their jobs at DP and don't mind being there. It works out for them and also for the Park. This is across all of the departments, too.
PepsiFan01

Postby dorneydude » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:12 pm

Steelforceguy wrote:
dorneydude wrote:
Uh yea...by CHOICE...I'm sure they are perfectly happy with no OT....by CHOICE...yea especially when jobs are scarce...the good companies are the one's that do not screw their employees!

As far as the maintenance dude who was working those 12 hour days...God bless...but I wonder how safe that was.....which would you rather have in the hospital...a nurse in the 11 hour of a 12 hour shift or a nurse in the 7th.

I feel bad for the kids out there getiing taken advantage of. I really wonder what the impact would be of just hiring a few more part timers OR just paying the OT.....when you have to count every nickel and dime...makes me think CF is a bad investment.

Um yeah, working is a choice. No guns at the gate keeping you inside the fence. Who goes around saying their employer pays them too much?

When you sign the contract to work at the park (at least park operations), you can chose "flex" with a slightly higher pay rate, or "non-flex" and tell them what hours you are available to be scheduled for work. Jiggy shared his story's about working many hours in maintenance. I didn't get the impression he was "forced" to work them.

I worked crazy hours at Dorney. Where-else as a 18-21 year old was I going to find an employer willing to give me 70 hour work weeks ALL summer long? Dorney was a gold mine to me!

So let's say that amusement parks lose their "seasonal" status. You think they are going to pay overtime? NO. My hours would have been slice in half, and they would hire more people. I would have been scraping to find a 2nd job and then struggle to make two different schedules line up. End result, I still would have been working 70 hour weeks to making same money I wanted/needed.

If sitting on a stool in the tower of Thundercreek Mountain, watching young women in bikini tops waving to Hi toyou, and getting paid to do it is "being taken advantage of", then I like it! :mrgreen: (From what I've experienced, maintenance has similar "perks")

Sorry but you are being taken advantage of. I wont' argue. See how you feel in a few years.
---the ORIGINAL DorneyDude
dorneydude

Postby Steelforceguy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:09 am

Why not pump your fist and yell "Occupy Dorney" or "99 percent"? You'll feel a whole lot better, and that's what this whole discussion has been about anyway! :roll:

It's been eight years ago since I've worked at the park, and I'm 30+ years old. Thanks for the warning. :lol:

Jobs are what you (each individual) make them. Corporations (like Dorney) don't run themselves. It takes people, often who start out small and move up in a company over many years of hard work. Like him or not, Dick Kinzel is a prime example.

-SFG
Steelforceguy

Postby djw44 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:41 pm

What this is about is erosion of worker rights and respect towards workers. We started out with the robber barons and breaker boys, had a worker rights movement and received these rights. An assault on worker rights has been happening in the past decade or so and we are heading back towards the robber barons and breaker boys again. The days of mobility within a corporation are waning along with respect towards workers. In the past, salaries for executives were only about 8-10 times that of their workers. Nowadays executives' salaries are hundreds, if not thousands of times that of their workers. The CEO of Wal-Mart makes in an hour more than what one of his employees makes in a year. Something about that says quite a bit about how workers are valued and respected and treated as dignified human beings. This is a Pro-Life issue and a respect for life and the lives of hard working individuals. How can someone go to bed at night making these absurd amounts of money while the majority of the workers of this executive cannot afford to eat or spend time raising their kids?
djw44

Postby dptalon135 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:07 pm

Let's get this thread back on topic and not turn it into a political discussion please.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby N_Dub04Gli » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:42 am

...So, all other sub topics aside I think that it will be great to have the opportunity to spend more "dark" hours in the park this year. It is not very often that we get to ride rides in the dark at Dorney as they often close at 10pm and during daylight savings it can dark as late as 9. I don't know about you folks but the coasters, dominator, and many of our well lit flat rides are more fun at night.
Off season 2013/2014 here we go. See you in the Spring, Dorney.
N_Dub04Gli

Postby Yoshi » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:27 pm

I like Hydra a lot more at night, since other than the station and Meteor, there aren't a lot of lights around so it makes it cooler.
Yoshi

Postby MJHammer1 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:47 pm

Did you guys check out the off season tour? If not here's some photos and a recap.

There's a ton of stuff going on at the park this off-season, though not all of it will be visible. I'm continually feeling more and more positive about how Cedar Fair is viewing the park, looking at the things they are investing in. Take for instance the new point of sale they're adding for all outlets, which requires digging up tons of midways to lay cable.

I was also surprised by how much they're doing for Dinosaurs Alive - I sorta thought it would just be a booth and then the path in the woods with dinos - but no they're making a huge entrance path right from Steel Force's plaza, building a retail outlet, etc.

Good stuff!

Mike
Amusement Industry News and Notes:
http://www.newsplusnotes.com
MJHammer1

Postby Yoshi » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:38 pm

Nice update, hopefully the new bridge for WWL will be easier to walk on barefoot, the old exit bridge and Thunder Canyon's exit hurt to walk on.

Stinger is using air gates? That will be confusing for everyone, since they tell you in the station for all the other coasters to push on the magnetic gates and people are going to try to push the air gates too.
Yoshi

Postby Kozmo 1 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:00 am

Yoshi wrote:Nice update, hopefully the new bridge for WWL will be easier to walk on barefoot, the old exit bridge and Thunder Canyon's exit hurt to walk on.

Stinger is using air gates? That will be confusing for everyone, since they tell you in the station for all the other coasters to push on the magnetic gates and people are going to try to push the air gates too.

I never understood why Dorney uses magnetic gates while every other park I've been to has air gates. But I think they actualy are magnetic for Stinger from some other station pics I've seen. I think the magnetic gates are just wierd and seem to be a little less efficient than the air gates.

But maybee they are air gates....I really hope things start getting better now that the Kinzel regieme is out.
RIP Dorney Park 1884-1992
RIP Laser 1986-2008
ImageImage
"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby Yoshi » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:23 pm

I thought they got magnetic gates because of the problems with people pushing on the air gates and causing ride shut downs? I'm not sure how much of an issue that is though since I have never seen that happen at Great Adventure.
Yoshi

Postby dptalon135 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:47 pm

I always wonder why parks don't use both airgates with a magnetic lock :shock: .
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby N_Dub04Gli » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:26 pm

^^^That would seem to make the most sense. Instead they have to walk the gates after every ride to close them. I wonder if it is costly or if the parks just find that to be overkill.
Off season 2013/2014 here we go. See you in the Spring, Dorney.
N_Dub04Gli

Previous

Return to General Discussion