Dorney Park 2013

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Re: Dorney Park 2013

Postby dorneydude » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:44 am

$125...they are nuts. They lost us....we are off to Knobles soon...and we just found out we can take our new dog!
---the ORIGINAL DorneyDude
dorneydude

Postby Yoshi » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:28 pm

What makes the $125 worse is that it only gets you into Dorney. I paid $120 for my Great Adventure Premium Season Pass with parking added on and that also includes admission into Hurricane Harbor and all the Six Flags parks (but not other stand alone waterparks besides the one in NJ) plus a coupon book with a bunch of bring a friend free tickets and bring a friend for $19.99 coupons. I also saw a Cedar Fair Platinum Pass also was raised to $195.
Yoshi

Postby coasterluver » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:12 pm

While I agree, it is insanely ridiculous, remember that the passes were much better priced a while back... Whose really buying them now anyway?
coasterluver

Postby N_Dub04Gli » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:29 pm

I bought mine before the prices went up and it was only like $100. Regardless, is $20-$25 per pass per year really going to kill anyone? Also, why would someone be interested in buying a pass this late in the season anyway?

I understand that there are a few things to be unhappy about with Dorney but this is not that big of a deal. There are too many Debbie Downers on this site anymore...
2015... My year off from Dorney. C'mon Cedar Fair, you are losing me...
N_Dub04Gli

Postby Fun » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:53 pm

It's interesting how people complain that the park lets all these riff-raff into the park, and then people complain that prices are getting too high.

It's also interesting to see people complain that the waterpark is so busy, and yet they wonder why they would raise prices continuously.

If this whole waterpark expansion thing is true, I would expect pass prices to go up again next year. That would probably be about the time people start complaining that the park never gets anything.
Fun

Postby dorneydude » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:45 pm

Being part of the DebbiDowner team this year....

Re:
It's interesting how people complain that the park lets all these riff-raff into the park, and then people complain that prices are getting too high.

Confused...are you suggesting higher prices keep the riff-raff out...its not working!

Re:
It's also interesting to see people complain that the waterpark is so busy, and yet they wonder why they would raise prices continuously.

Why raise prices if its so busy you are attracting new folks every year? Instead, they raise the price and close WWK at ***7pm*** and I think even earlier come early August. 8pm was bad enough!

Re:
If this whole waterpark expansion thing is true, I would expect pass prices to go up again next year. That would probably be about the time people start complaining that the park never gets anything.

Well, after not adding anything for a few years except crap from the jurrasic age (those dinasours you used to see for free at the mall, Stinker, Freefall etc), I suspect folks ARE getting a little axious for something new...

Personally, I fear business is so bad the increased the pass price out of desparation. And by the way, a $25 increase a year IS a lot...especially for a family of four ...or more.
dorneydude

Postby MarinersMunchies » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:15 pm

The economy forced all industries to change the way they perform. Whether its price increases, new policies, lack of capital expenditures and/or changes in culture, Dorney is not immune to the economic downturn. Matter of fact, they are on the forefront. Its a luxury item in some households. Parts of me wonder if we'll ever see the type of growth (housing, market, parks) that we saw throughout the late 90s and mid 00s.
MarinersMunchies

Postby dorneydude » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:48 am

probably not...wonder though....if they LOWERED the price of a pass to say: $75...i wonder how many MORE passes they would have sold, extra revenue generated etc etc. And don't tell me passholders don't spend $ in the park...not as much as a family forced to eat there on a day ticket I guess (actually many just run to Wendy's...maybe they should drop those proces too!) but it always seemed I was dropping $ for a game or tow and drinks.....

I say sell it an split it into two parks....drop the growth, maintain the parks, lower the prices. The park is too landlocked to ever be a HP or GA anyway.
dorneydude

Postby Yoshi » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:31 am

I'd like to see them copy Six Flags and offer a season dining pass. That's one way to get pass holders to spend more money. I used to refuse to eat at Dorney and Great Adventure because of the prices and would either eat outside the park before or after I go to the park. Now at Great Adventure I can go and not think about how much the food costs since I paid $75 for the year which gets me 1 or 2 meals every trip to the park (if you enter after 3, you only get dinner). -
Yoshi

Postby dorneydude » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:20 pm

...wonder how many folks locally go just to get a free meal now and then! That seams to be a good deal if you frequent the park.
dorneydude

Postby djw44 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:21 pm

First off, this cheapening started before the economic downturn. The economic downturn had no effect upon the theme parks and now we are out of the downturn just the same. Dorney's biggest competition is Great Adventure and they have been relatively static in building stuff as well. I think the parks feel they have reached their potential as far as attendance goes.
djw44

Postby Dorneyman27 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:59 pm

I think that Dorney Park is nowhere close to its attendance potential. If the parking lot was redesigned to hold more cars and the park was significantly expanded in size the park could see many more visitors. I think that if Dorney Park would add a few more new coasters and update the waterpark, attendance would jump. I think that many people do not see excitement coming back to Dorney Park because nothing major was added since 2005. Those people would go to Hershey or Great Adventure because they always seem to be adding something fresh and major every few years.
Dorneyman27

Postby Hauntguy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:17 pm

^I totally agree that the parking lot needs to be redesigned before any expansion into the current parking lot occurs. The current parking lot is a total mess in how it is set up. I think Dorney will take advantage of the Dinosaur's Alive/behind Revolution area to expand before they push park borders into the parking lot. The first area of the parking lot I can see any expansion into is for the water park, but that's just a guess.
Hauntguy

Postby dorneydude » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:44 pm

creating a bigger lot when the current one is seldom full will not bring more people. Something is brewing here. I work for one of the larger employers in the valley. DP always had an admission discount a bit better than you could get anywhere else for us. Anyway...just got a email stating how the rec dept here is 'disapointed' at the discount offered this year and won't be selling tix on DP's behalf...they suggested to looking for discounts elsewhere.

DP is going down!
dorneydude

Postby dptalon135 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:34 pm

Most parks don't really do discount tickets like they used to. Instead, they offer discounted tickets themselves on their website. A single day adult ticket to Dorney Park is $40 online, $50 at the gate. Compared to other parks in the industry and considering all that the park has to offer, both those prices are extremely reasonable.
dptalon135
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion