Interesting, non-recycled topic (I think)...

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Which coaster is an overall better thrill ride?

Stinger
38%
Laser/Teststrecke
63%

Total votes : 16

Interesting, non-recycled topic (I think)...

Postby N_Dub04Gli » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:04 am

Hey everyone. As I sit here at work on my day off, hating the world I find myself daydreaming and coaster "googling" as I often do when I am bored. While doing this an interesting thought came into my mind. What coaster had/has a better thrill factor? I know that this may be difficult but I ask you to put aside your thoughts, fears, and anger about the poor reliability of Stinger for just long enough to respond to this poll without biased discrimination. Of the two rides you get to compare two awesome old school vertical loops and a great compact helix to an intense compact coaster with six inversions, a backwards lap, and a neat face to face seating arrangement. These are two different types of thrills but which one is better? Again, lets keep the "political BS" out of this one and go solely on the ride.
2015... My year off from Dorney. C'mon Cedar Fair, you are losing me...
N_Dub04Gli

Re: Interesting, non-recycled topic (I think)...

Postby Yoshi » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:02 pm

Laser, first going upside down with just a lap bar (and later seatbelts for 2007 and 2008) made it thrilling and the back to back loops were really forceful and I remember reading from trip reports from others that it caused them to gray/black out. It was the final helix that always got me and made my head hurt for a few seconds but not enough to stop me from getting right back in line for another ride.
Yoshi

Postby djw44 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Laser has and still holds, the record for most g force on a coaster at Dorney Park. Add to the fact that Laser could have survived another 30 years and still been more reliable than the soon to be junked Stinger.
djw44

Postby nathanaelerik » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:58 pm

I'm going to go with Laser.

The thing about stinger is, it was purely just fun going forwards, it wasn't anything to brag about, or anything thrilling, just fun. Backwards was painful and ruined the ride. So..

Obvious choice is laser.
nathanaelerik

Postby N_Dub04Gli » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:58 pm

djw44 wrote:Add to the fact that Laser could have survived another 30 years and still been more reliable than the soon to be junked Stinger.

For the purpose of this pole, the above statement should be irrelevant. I am just saying...
N_Dub04Gli

Postby N_Dub04Gli » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:46 am

Only 10 votes so far... How many members do we have???
N_Dub04Gli

Postby Yoshi » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:39 am

166 members but the majority of them are not regular posters
Yoshi

Postby djw44 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:32 pm

The other poll got 11 votes and that has been up for 2 weeks I think. The enthusiasm for the park has been muted lately.
djw44

Postby nathanaelerik » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:33 pm

djw44 wrote:The other poll got 11 votes and that has been up for 2 weeks I think. The enthusiasm for the park has been muted lately.

Cant say I blame people..
nathanaelerik

Postby Hooky965 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:03 pm

It's kinda funny....for a while, I used to think that I was either getting older, or just sorta developing a wuss side after experiencing the partial blackout (it was more of a "blueout" actually) during the second loop on Laser. I mean, what's the big deal...after the first drop and the loops, there really wasn't much ride left, was there?

In retrospect, I've come to respect this ride greatly, especially after reading some of the things here. I didn't realize that Laser was as intense to others as it seemed to me. There are bigger rides, more expensive rides, faster rides, and more thematic rides in this park and in other parks nearby, but the combination of those two simple loops and the speed in which you entered them were very thrilling indeed.
Hooky965

Postby Yoshi » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:31 pm

I was really looking forward to ride Scorpion at Busch Gardens Tampa this past January and was planning on getting a few laps on the ride since it is the closest coaster to Laser I will probably ever ride again. I could only handle 1 lap between the loop and helix at the end that was longer than Laser's final helix (and the same with Kumba, it was too intense for more than 1 ride). If I were to ride Laser today, I don't know if I could handle more than 1 lap per trip.
Yoshi

Postby N_Dub04Gli » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Yes, I enjoy Scorpion too. Have not been to Busch Gardens Africa for a few years but it is neat to ride it when I can.

So after riding Stinger again last week, which was about my sixth or seventh time riding it this year, I came to the conclusion that Laser surely is the better ride. During some of its last years with Dorney, I often skipped it, taking it for granted. Now that Stinger is in its place, I miss having it...
N_Dub04Gli

Postby SpaceRides » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:13 pm

There's always Colossus at Lagoon in Utah... Should you find yourself in Utah.
SpaceRides

Postby nathanaelerik » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:54 am

N_Dub04Gli wrote:Yes, I enjoy Scorpion too. Have not been to Busch Gardens Africa for a few years but it is neat to ride it when I can.

So after riding Stinger again last week, which was about my sixth or seventh time riding it this year, I came to the conclusion that Laser surely is the better ride. During some of its last years with Dorney, I often skipped it, taking it for granted. Now that Stinger is in its place, I miss having it...

You're not the only one. Im sure alot of people skipped it for many different reasons...
nathanaelerik

Postby Yoshi » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:38 pm

I skipped it more than I would have liked to because of the capacity. A 4 train would could be 20 minutes with how slow the lift hill was and the time it took to check the restraints with only 1 ride op and then the added seatbelts slowing things down even more. On days where I could either walk onto the ride or wait 1 train, I always tried to ride the coaster a few times per trip.
Yoshi

Return to General Discussion