Thunderhawk's 90th Birthday

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Thunderhawk's 90th Birthday

Postby DorneyPark5 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:59 pm

If anyone noticed, Thunderhawk is turning 90 next year. I can't believe how old that coaster is now and does anyone know what the park is going to do? Are they going to do what they did with steel force or do something special with it. I would love to see the coaster back in its white color again without all the chips of paint out of it or like the park did for like its 50th year anniversary, they painted it golden. Or they would replace the new lights with the classic ones :) Well I don't know what they are going to do for next year but I hope they do something nice with the ride.Thoughts?
DorneyPark5

Re: Thunderhawk's 90th Birthday

Postby Yoshi » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:32 pm

Hopefully they turn off the trim brake at the end (yeah I know that is unlikely)
Yoshi

Postby Kozmo 1 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:09 am

I rode it yesterday and saw it upclose for the first time in at least 2 years. Not sure what I thought of the ride, seemed pretty rough for a classic woodie. And the ride just looks horrible, from the rope lights, to the faded/chiping paint, to the parts redone in new wood that don't match the rest of the ride.
RIP Dorney Park 1884-1992
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby nathanaelerik » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:25 am

I absolutely love thunderhawk dispite its flaws. I rode it twice yesterday, once in the very back seat, and once in the very front. Couldnt of enjoyed myself more than i did, (unless it didnt brake so hard)
nathanaelerik

Postby Hooky965 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:31 pm

It's overdue for a complete painting by about three years, IMO. The rope lights are completely cheesy, and I still hate the brake. I hear you Yoshi, and I don't think that there's any chance of that damned brake being turned off anytime soon, but here's to hoping that they paint the old girl that lovely shade of golden yellow and bring back the chase lights. She deserves better.
Hooky965

Postby dptalon135 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:12 pm

I've read comments from the GM that they are not going to paint Thunderhawk, but will just keep replacing wood until it is eventually all plain, natural wood. Personally, I don't see why they don't just take a power washer to it and blast off all the paint, or at least the peeling stuff.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby N_Dub04Gli » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:45 pm

I too wish they would do a little something special to TH for next year but am not holding my breath. Yoshi, I hear you on the trim brake but I think you are out of luck buddy. DPT, I am with you wondering why they do not just power wash the living daylights out of it. I think that it would look great if it were all "fresh" looking bare wood.

...Oh those damn LED rope lights...
2015... My year off from Dorney. C'mon Cedar Fair, you are losing me...
N_Dub04Gli

Postby Kozmo 1 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:32 am

Old woodies shouldn't be plain wood...they should be painted either white, yellow, blue etc.
RIP Dorney Park 1884-1992
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby Hooky965 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:25 pm

Leaving it to peel away and/or replace is an awful solution. That's like waiting for your car to turn primer grey by way of paint & body panel attrition. It puts the ride (and the park) in a bad light as it appears to the rank & file that the ride isn't being maintained. BTW, that's not me talking, that's comments I've heard more than once from park guests....stuff along the lines of "I'm not riding it, it looks like they're not taking care of it".

And I agree, going for a "natural" finish is (hate to say it) a bit of a '90s approach....kinda like going for the CGI look without actually having a CGI. The ride isn't new, and it was never unpainted. Ideally, it should look today the way it looked back in the day. In short, the way it was is what makes it what it is today (or should be anyway)
Hooky965

Postby nathanaelerik » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:52 am

Does the park have anything planned like they did for Steel Force? It would be nice..

<3 Thunderhawk
nathanaelerik

Postby LinaSkye » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:47 am

Yoshi wrote:Hopefully they turn off the trim brake at the end (yeah I know that is unlikely)

This is Cedar Fair, not Six Flags. ;P

But I am in your camp for trim brake trimming. And how about a full-on retracking, too? That thing is brutal in some seats! I still love it, as it was my first "big girl" coaster, but it can really put a hurtin' on you.
LinaSkye

Return to General Discussion