Anyone else disappointed in haunt this year?

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Anyone else disappointed in haunt this year?

Postby nathanaelerik » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:49 pm

So i made my first (not last) visit to haunt this year, and I must say I was really let down by it.

The only haunts I really liked were gravewalkers, the asylum and Death Trap.

Im extremeley disappointed in the fact that club blood was gone, and its replacement was terrible. Some of them like bloodshed (if thats that name, i cant remember) were so lame and seemed like they were just thrown together to add to the haunt count.

Also,... Line Jumping seems to be allowed during haunt. Not only was my group butt in front of, the group jumped the fences IN FRONT OF the haunt staff, but the second half of the group butt in front of us from behind us in line. I reported this to the girl letting people in, but not only did she DEFEND the first group who jumped the fence, but she defended the others for skipping over the whole line of people saying "well they are one whole group". I was extrememly offended by this. This happened at the military haunt.

Lines for the coasters were short, yet the staff (especially at Hydra) seemed like they wanted to take their good old time in between dispatches.

I had alot of fun regardless, but I definitely feel like this year wasnt anywhere near as good, Haunt wise or Operations wise.
nathanaelerik

Re: Anyone else disappointed in haunt this year?

Postby Yoshi » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:37 pm

That's a shame to hear about the slow dispatches since Dorney's operations are usually excellent at Talon, Hydra and Steel Force. Maybe the Hydra ride crew is hanging out with the Bizarro ride crew from Great Adventre since the dispatches there have been horrible with the 3 trains always double stacking.
Yoshi

Postby Hooky965 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:16 pm

That's disappointing to hear, NE

The only thing I'd ask you is whether there were DPP guards present at the queue. If so, they would probably the better persons to point out the line jumping to. I'm not condoning the response from the op at the head of the line, because that's not park policy, and they should know that, however DPP deals with that kind of stuff all the time and may be the better choice in that situation.
Hooky965

Postby N_Dub04Gli » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:03 am

I was not disappointed this year. Actually, I had almost no complaints when I went two weekends ago. I hope to get out again tomorrow night (weather permitting) to see the shows that I missed.

I agree with the above complaints about line cutters. I did not see it happen on my last visit but I know what you are talking about from past Haunt visits and it sucks. The DP staff needs to speak up about this when they see it...
2015... My year off from Dorney. C'mon Cedar Fair, you are losing me...
N_Dub04Gli

Postby nathanaelerik » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:34 pm

Had a MUCH better visit yesterday, sunday 21st.

Crowds were heavy, but the lines were short. It didnt make alot of sense. But whos gonna complain for short lines? ha.

The actors in some of the haunts seemed like they were ready for it to be over.

But it was a great expierence at the park. Got there around 3, stayed til 11.

Even park security was in full force, witnessed line jumpers get booted.

Over all, much better. :D
nathanaelerik

Postby pc215 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:05 am

Checked out Haunt for the very first time on Saturday 10/20/12. Have to say that I was very impressed on how Dorney put together all of these attractions throughout the park. The park was extremely crowded with the overflow lot being used. Had to purchase Fast Lane passes for the rides only because the Fright Lane passes are sold seperately. The only haunted attraction that we were able to see was Grave Walkers because the line was moving pretty quick. Dont know how the other Haunted house attractions are because the lines were out of this world. The Dorney patrol was on top of everyone line jumping and kicking them out. Other than the lines being so long, we had a blast. We will definately be there fpr Haunt 6 next year but with fright lane passes this time!!!
pc215

Postby Yoshi » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:25 pm

I didn't think Haunt ever got that crowded that the overflow lot would be needed. Good for the park, bad for anyone that day without Fast Lane since there is no WWK to absorb most of the crowds.
Yoshi

Postby djw44 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:57 pm

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 166&type=1 Here is a photo trip report from Saturday night. It was a great night, the park was pretty crowded. It was nice to see the park alive.
djw44

Postby nathanaelerik » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:25 pm

Sidenote, anyone else notice Steel Forces trains kinda, rattled? Maybe it was just me, it wasnt major, just made a sound...

Anyway... Some of the haunts were really bad though, especially the two behind talon, cornstalkers and the blood one..

I missed club blood, its replacement was terrible. My opinion still stands.
nathanaelerik

Postby djw44 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:22 am

I actually thought they rattled a little less than they have in the past. Definitely stayed balanced better.
djw44

Postby talonguy84 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:37 pm

I visited on Saturday 10/20 as well, and although the park was crowded (not as bad as I have seen it in the past, though), we all had a fantastic experience. My friends and I have been going for the past 4 years specifically for the Haunt event. This was the first year we did not purchase the Fright Feast combo and elected to do the Meal Plan. Hands down, still a great value compared to the SF parks.

We arrived around 12 and were able to do walk-ons or < 5 minute waits on just about all the rides. Stopped to eat and then went to the Haunt attractions. Started with Desolation which we all enjoyed much better than Club Blood. Waited about 35 minutes. Next was Psycho Circus, Grave Walkers (which is still one of my favorites), followed by the Mansion House Hotel. Waited about 40 minutes. Next up were our favorites, Corn Stalkers (love how the actors blend in so well!) and we also did Blood Shed which we could tell it was nearing closing time...I think the actors were getting tired, but we all enjoyed it as well. Missed The Asylum and Death Trap this year, having been through them before we assumed not much would be different.

For our group personally, we had a good time without having the need to buy passes. If you want to go through everything in one night, then the pass is an absolute must for sure.

Two comments though. First, glad to read others have noticed security reprimanding line cutters, although we unfortunately did not witness any offenders getting caught. Second, my gripe has always been sending too many groups in at the same time. We would much rather a slightly longer wait, but much better experience, than groups back-to-back and ruining the surprises. The line for Grave Walkers is more of a moving queue, but the experience would be much better if the groups were spread out more - at least upon entering the mausoleum.

Long story short, we were not disappointed in Haunt this year.
talonguy84

Postby iamRighty22 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:16 pm

This year was my first year of Dorney Park Haunt (not including the terrifying experience I had when I was nine in the Psycho Circus), and I was not disappointed at all. I went twice during Haunt times, once on a Friday and once on a Saturday. Go on Fridays! The first time I went on a Friday there were basically no waits for all the attractions I went through.

I went through the new Desolation attraction with only about a fifteen minute wait. This haunted house was easily my favorite! There was obviously a lot of planning put into it. It was also very, very long which I enjoyed. I got lots of scares, and all the actors were super energetic. Next it was over to The Asylum, a house that I was really looking forward to. There was about a 20 minute wait, but there weren't that many actors inside. The strobe lights made up for that though. Next, was Grave Walkers. The line moved very fast and there were some good scares hidden among the tombstones. It was overall a good attraction. Afterwards, we headed up to HMH. The wait was the longest of the night, about 30 minutes which really isn't bad. HMH didn't have as many scares, but held a consistent level of creepiness that had me checking over my shoulder every 30 seconds.

The next time I went was on a Saturday, and the place was packed! We did all three scare zones since they don’t have lines. Head Hunters, which is new for 2012, was a waste of the two actors working there. There were no props, and the actors really didn't seem to care about what they were doing. Cut Throat Island is the scariest scare zone and has one of the best props I've ever seen. There are lots of places for the actors to hide if you venture between the pieces of the smashed boat. The actors clearly know all of those places, and I jumped out of my socks a couple of times! Age of Darkness was a very cool attraction, however it simply wasn't scary. It had a lot of actors but they didn't even try to come up to me and my friends to scare us. Our one haunted house of the night was Death Trap. We waited over an hour for it and came out after four minutes feeling very disappointed. The scares were not scary, and I understand them wanting to make it easy to transport, but putting a roof on really wouldn't hurt. I hope that this attraction won’t be back next year, as all it did was bring down a really good Haunt.

I didn't get to do Corn Stalkers and Blood Shed, even though I wanted to. Hopefully they will be back next year. Overall, I was blown away by this year’s Haunt. I didn't see any line jumping or anything that didn't impress me. I can’t wait until Haunt is back next year with new houses for me to go through!
iamRighty22

Return to General Discussion