Park Interview Tips?

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Park Interview Tips?

Postby coasterluver » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:57 pm

I have an interview coming up this week for a job at Dorney. Do any current/former employees have any tips on interviews? I really appreciate it!
coasterluver

Re: Park Interview Tips?

Postby dorneyparkrules » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:37 am

I had a interview last year and didnt pan out but I have a few tips the biggest one is be calm, smile, and dress decent I mean not suit and tie like a clean shirt and pants and so on so forth. Some others are bring everything you think you would need like ID, SS #, and other stuff. Good Luck and what are you going for?
Current Dorney Park Employee
2013- Thunder Canyon
2014- Steel Force, Possessed, Monster, and Revolution
2015- Stinger, Cedar Creek Flyers, Revolution, and Steel Force
2017- Possessed and Monster
dorneyparkrules

Postby Kozmo 1 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:17 am

If your talking just regular seasonal job, if your over 16, I'm pretty sure they'll hire anyone. Just as above, ID, SS etc would be a plus.
RIP Dorney Park 1884-1992
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby Fun » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:38 pm

One of the worst mistakes you can make is thinking you've got the job already. A positive attitude is the best thing to bring with you.
Fun

Postby PepsiFan01 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:31 pm

Kozmo 1 wrote:If your talking just regular seasonal job, if your over 16, I'm pretty sure they'll hire anyone. Just as above, ID, SS etc would be a plus.

Definitely they do not just hire anyone. If you made it to an interview, that is a good sign, but a job is not a guarantee. Dress nice, be positive, use complete sentences, talk about your work ethic and what you can offer as an employee, not what DP can give you. Good luck.
PepsiFan01

Postby coasterluver » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:10 pm

Thanks for the help! Going for Admissions... Also, once I have the interview, do any of you guys know how soon they tell you the "verdict" so to say? Does it take a while, or do you kinda know right away if you got the job.
coasterluver

Postby Hooky965 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:53 pm

I was looking for a moonlighting gig and filled out their online thing (which is a fairly long process if you haven't done it). Bunch of questions and tests along the way. Based upon my responses, Security was the apparent fit. As I remember it, I was called in for an interview with one of the Corporals and a registered officer and was all but told that I had the job (pending approval from the Chief)...BTW, they were good guys, it was easy talking to them. That was on a Saturday, I think I got the call on Monday.

I don't know if that's the norm or not. It may be that my case may have been different based upon my age (39 at the time), experience, and what I was applying for. I did dress in khakis and a long sleeve collared shirt for the interview.
Hooky965

Postby Hooky965 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:09 am

BTW, I wish you success in your efforts. As a person who regularly posts here, you obviously have a love for the park.

That helps.

It can give you an edge in the interview process, and if you land the job, I think it will help you to take your job seriously (which will show). I think that many probably go into it with the intention of getting a job at a fun place, and that's OK, but I think if you express your love of the park in some way, that may give you an edge over someone who might just be applying there to get a paycheck.

For myself, I know that I could have probably found something higher paying for my moonlighting, but this was the only place I really wanted to work. To be honest, it's kinda like being able to go backstage...to see the stuff that you can't see as a guest. It gives you a completely different perspective on the place, and for me, enhanced what I feel about it.

As a guest, the park is rides & attractions.

As an employee, it becomes more of a people experience (both in the guests and especially with the people you work with).

There's going to be stuff that you dig, and stuff that you don't like, but that's the case in any job. Personally, I'd love to get that job back again, however in my stage in life, (teenage sons involved in sports) I can't justify it right now. I still have the uniform in my closet, and perhaps someday soon, I'll put it on again.

I hope that you too will get the chance to be able to go "on the other side of the ropes". Good luck!
Hooky965

Postby PepsiFan01 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:06 pm

Each department is different, but I typically told employees who did well in the interview right away if they were hired and got them started on HR paperwork. If I was on the fence, I said I would call them soon with a decision.
PepsiFan01

Postby djw44 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:44 pm

Dorney is a great first job kind of place, but honestly, the pay is not the best. I stayed at the park for a few years and then went to Lowe's where they started me at 10 bucks an hour. I lost some of the fun out of the job, but supervisors are lucky if they make 8.00 an hour. You will be starting at 7.15 an hour. I enjoyed the job and I loved the job, but once I turned 18 I went to get a much better paying summer job.

As far as interviews go, dress decent, talk in complete sentences and prove reliability. Have a few references prepared as I am sure they ask for them. They want someone who gives the indication they will be reliable. Dorney was a great launching point and first job for me, the experiences I learned on the job were like no other and really prepared me for dealing with all kinds of people. Not to mention I also had a total blast and would meet a ton of people.
djw44

Postby coasterluver » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:05 pm

Thank you everyone for the kind comments! I was offered the job! :) Thanks for all the suggestions!
coasterluver

Postby PepsiFan01 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:51 pm

Congrats! You'll work hard and deal with all sorts of interesting people, but it's a lot of fun, too. Your co-workers will hopefully be a big part of that.
PepsiFan01

Postby dorneyparkrules » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:03 pm

Congrad on the job I have a phone interview tomorrow at 11am for rides
Current Dorney Park Employee
2013- Thunder Canyon
2014- Steel Force, Possessed, Monster, and Revolution
2015- Stinger, Cedar Creek Flyers, Revolution, and Steel Force
2017- Possessed and Monster
dorneyparkrules

Postby Hooky965 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:59 pm

with all the talk of park jobs & stuff, I wonder how many of the regs here are (or were) park employees. I have a feeling that it's something like a 60/40 split (60% being former employees).
Hooky965

Postby Yoshi » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:57 am

it does seem like a lot of people here have worked at the park. I'm one of the few that has not. I live about 45 minutes away from the park with no traffic and if I did live close enough to work there, I don't think I would want to. Seeing how ride ops and other employees are treated by some park visitors from many trips to Dorney and Great Adventure is nothing something I would want to deal with (like being yelled at by an angry parent that their kid is too short to ride a coaster). Also because I go to parks to relax and get away from stress and I don't know if I could enjoy going to the park as much after working there for so many hours each week.
Yoshi

Next

Return to General Discussion