WILDWATER RIVER

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

WILDWATER RIVER

Postby jscll » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:51 am

On the parks website, it was recently added that "Wildwater River is the first ever lazy river ride that was constructed with its own wave machine."
http://www.dorneypark.com/rides/Wildwater-Kingdom/Wildwater-River
At least in the last two years, I know wildwater has not made any waves. Does anyone know if the ride has been broken or turned off? All of what I could find on the subject online is this old newspaper article:
http://articles.mcall.com/1989-05-21/entertainment/2689390_1_water-park-water-rides-dorney-park-s-wildwater-kingdom
Last edited by jscll on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jscll

Re: WILDWATER RIVER

Postby PepsiFan01 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:00 am

Not sure...I only remember the waves being turned on once in a while when there were really big crowds and that was years ago.
PepsiFan01

Postby Kozmo 1 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:50 am

I remember the waves, at least in the late 90's they would operate a bit. I think I remember maybee them sending out a very light wave every few minutes or so and I think it was just in one section, near the back of the loop.

Always liked how you didn't have to exit WWR, always wished they would change Runaway to the same type of setup. Both rivers I think especialy Runaway are the best I've ever seen.
RIP Dorney Park 1884-1992
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby PepsiFan01 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:07 am

I think this year and the one before is the only time I have seen WWR open right at opening and not right at noon. It's nice to be able to get on it earlier than year's before.
PepsiFan01

Postby rotlex » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:20 pm

Love both the lazy rivers at WWK, but cannot understand why they don't open the other exits and entrances that they have. Also, why in the heck do the life guards freak out if you get out of a tube or lay on your stomach in the tube?

Most places I have been, including places like Disney's waterparks, operate the lazy rivers in a very different way. You can swim them, get in and out at different areas of the parks and lay on the tube however you like. Why is Dorney so uptight about everything?
rotlex

Postby HK36 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:38 pm

If you have ever been a lifeguard on a saturday in July on the River you would understand...
HK36

Postby jscll » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:58 pm

There is a mistake on the park's site on the listing for this ride. It states "Height Requirement: Under 54" or accompanied by a child."
If you go to the rider height and safety guide it is correctly listed as 42" (under 42" must be accompanied by a responsible person.)
http://www.dorneypark.com/plan-a-visit/rider-height-safety-guide
This error has existed for at least a couple of years. I find it surprising that no one at the park has noticed this discrepancy.
jscll

Postby rotlex » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:04 pm

HK36 wrote:If you have ever been a lifeguard on a saturday in July on the River you would understand...

I fully understand, however, I'm honestly wondering why parks that have as many, and in most cases, far more visitors, don't have this issue. No matter I guess as I guess they won't change the policy, but it just seems odd to me.
rotlex

Postby HK36 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:24 pm

I'm not saying I have the answer to this question because I don't but I feel like the majority of the time a rule like this exists because someone at some point was injured when they weren't on their tube. It reminds me of an episode of How I Met Your Mother when Ted explains why there is a sign outside the bar that says "No Buggie-Boarding".
HK36

Postby Jiggy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:48 am

I can't speak to the current setup of the waves, but I can tell you about when it was built.....I was there, working in the Maintenance Dept. assigned to the waterpark. As cool as it was, in reality, the wave machine just didn't work as hoped. The main issue was that the wave was being generated from underneath rather than from the surface. The tank (either filled via the "Pepsi/Soda" can or via the chimney) would fill to a point then a huge flap system at the bottom would open and drop the water. The floor was contoured and venturis were built to send the water one direction. There was a huge wave underneath, but it really didn't show as much on the surface. The water had to be cut back because the huge underwater wave proved dangerous. It would sometimes drag people along if they happened to be standing and the wave caught them.

The entire River had many innovations at the time, however they were really "first attempts" at things that are now commonplace in the waterpark industry. The river was built by Pacific Custom Pools, run by the same gentleman who built the waterpark for Jim and TammyFay Baker. Times have changed, the insurance and corporate entities have more say in the operation of the parks (and other parks) than the ride manufacturers themselves. Insurance companies don't want to pay out so they demand that coasters be slowed to the slowest possible speed that it can handle without stalling, bumper cars are no longer, go-carts are slowed, even rides like the old Sky Ride are frowned upon by the insurance companies (and in turn the corporations that own the parks) because of the possibility of paying out a claim for some moron who drops a penny off the ride to hit some patron in the head.

SO anyway, got off on a tangent there.....I don't know anything about the current operation of the waves on the river, but I can tell you about what it was like when it was built.
Jiggy

Postby SnowManPA » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:13 am

I was a lifeguard around 15 years ago and the Wave Machine would sometimes work, it was a hit or miss. Also if you would stand on the grate it would knock you back.

Questions about laying on tubes head first and walking around. The Parks policy regarding this was based on safety. The pool is only 3 feet deep (Est.) and they are afraid of flipping forward and hitting your head also speeding around and hitting your head on the wall or other effects. Also rivers are not completely level all of the way around. There are drops every so often which has jets to push the water around. The Park doesn't want you to walk around and fall and hurt yourself. I received many cuts on my feet walking on the grates under the water and the tips of the pipes shooting water to create the flow. Maint. would fixed those areas when a cut or something occurred.
SnowManPA

Postby PepsiFan01 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:44 pm

Question for the lifeguards who worked on WWR...did you ever have to rescue/help anyone stuck under the two heavy waterfalls? I have seen many people get stuck under them, sometimes because empty tubes are in their way or the current just doesn't move them along, and they can't see to get moving. It must be a scary feeling to be trapped in there.
PepsiFan01

Postby SnowManPA » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:34 am

Yes, mostly Children or individuals with special needs. We would evaluate the situation and determine if a rescue should be made or just assistance. The wall is very high and we were trained on how to jump into the water. Sometimes we would snake in and just push them out of the water fall.

When Empty tubes get stuck it causes a lot of issues:
1. We have to be able to see the bottom of the Pools at all times, if we cant see the bottoms the park can close the ride. We would practice seeing bodies on the bottom with silhouettes under the waterfalls.
2. The tubes cause issues with with sight lines and people throwing them and causing trouble.
SnowManPA

Return to General Discussion