getting the kinks out?

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

getting the kinks out?

Postby dorneydude » Mon May 13, 2013 1:41 pm

I skipped season passes this year...then out of the blue, my daughter want to go w/her friends. I broke down and got her a pass....couldn't hop on a few coasters with Ole Dad last year but now...the sky's the limit...allbeit with her friends!

She has gone 3 times so far. Each time she has complained coasters and other rides were down. So, whats going on out there....

Specifically Hydra, Steel Force and the Moster...I did not know that was even back..and if it truly is I am surprised it has not beed touted as new for 2013!

Also, rumour has it $$$ are going into the haunt as oppsed to new rides....thats what was heard while on line anyway...
---the ORIGINAL DorneyDude
dorneydude

Re: getting the kinks out?

Postby dorneyparkrules » Mon May 13, 2013 2:03 pm

Well yea we are bc all the rides have being sitting all winter and for now during the week but once the whole season gets going there should be no problems unless it rains or Thunderstorms
Current Dorney Park Employee
2013- Thunder Canyon
2014- Steel Force, Possessed, Monster, and Revolution
2015- Stinger, Cedar Creek Flyers, Revolution, and Steel Force
2017- Possessed and Monster
dorneyparkrules

Postby Yoshi » Mon May 13, 2013 2:37 pm

I was there yesterday for a few hours and everything was open except for the water rides. Monster always seems to have problems. Usually Hydra and Steel Force (and Talon) seem to be reliable at least compared to Stinger and Possessed so hopefully it was just some minor issues.
Last edited by Yoshi on Wed May 15, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Yoshi

Postby djw44 » Mon May 13, 2013 6:51 pm

All parks have these issues at the start. Kennywood two weeks ago on opening day had some kinks, Cedar Point this week had some kinks. It is early in the season. Imagine how much trouble you have starting your mower in the spring, let alone a giant roller coaster
djw44

Postby Hooky965 » Tue May 14, 2013 11:28 pm

my kid was there friday before last for a field trip and said that everything but the water rides were open. Now he was paying more attention to his friends and such to notice random ride closures, but he's enough of a park freak to know what's an odd closure and what's not. He didn't make mention of anything being closed outside of the water attractions.

As far as the rides go, most of the kinks that are being talked about here shouldn't really be present. These things are gone over from top to bottom in the offseason, and they are mostly torn apart and rebuilt prior to spring opening. It wouldn't be hard for me to believe that Stinger and Possessed would have some issues. Stinger, because that's what Stinger does, and Possessed because I get the feeling that they are very, very aware of the potential negative aspects of running it in colder conditions. :shock:
Hooky965

Postby djw44 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:02 pm

Even with all of the testing and rebuilding they do, you are going to get kinks. If anything, because of all of this refurbishment you are going to get these kinks. Working with full loads of guests and going at an all day clip would cause these kinks/bugs to show their presence so they can be worked out. The new parts are also not fully broken in as well.
djw44

Postby dorneyparkrules » Wed May 15, 2013 9:38 pm

No comment here
Last edited by dorneyparkrules on Thu May 16, 2013 2:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
2013- Thunder Canyon
dorneyparkrules

Postby Hooky965 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:17 pm

DPR (or anyone else):
As a ride op, perhaps you can answer this question....do you or maintenance ever do runs with weights (sandbags/water/etc.) to simulate passenger weight prior to opening?

Also, is speed sensed through the brake runs the determining factor in a ride closure as you are describing?

I'm aware that this is a public and open forum, so if anything that I'm asking is outside the lines, I understand. My question is only based upon curiosity, because I never really got to experience the up-close operation of one of these rides (my shift usually started when the park was in full operation)
Hooky965

Postby dorneyparkrules » Thu May 16, 2013 2:37 am

I am sorry I can't NOT answer that question
2013- Thunder Canyon
dorneyparkrules

Postby djw44 » Thu May 16, 2013 6:51 am

As a former ride op, I can say that they do. They have water dummies in the rides and test them for a set number of hours. The thing with that kind of testing is that it varies from the varied loads given by the general public. People are never in danger opening day, but rather the things are just breaking in. It is nothing to be worried about. Every opening day I have ever been to has had some of those bugs, they are just minor bugs, nothing to worry about. While the newer parts are breaking in, or the older parts are warming up again after a winter, you are going to see minor glitches. The majority of "Break Downs" are related to photo eye block sensors (Proximity Switches) detecting something that is not there. Many times when it stops suddenly on the lift hill or in the brake run the ride being overly cautious when it comes to the blocks of the ride. Other times it stops on the lifthill are due to rider stupidity such as taking out loose items, or people jumping into restricted zones and heroic ride ops noticing before it becomes a catastrophe.
djw44

Postby Hooky965 » Thu May 16, 2013 10:29 pm

DPR, I get it...I completely get it.

DJW, thanks for posting that info, it makes complete sense to me now. FWIW, I tip my hat to the ride ops. Operating any ride over the course of a given shift is the kind of thing that seems almost as mechanical as the ride itself. Yet it seems that the part of the duty which is not mechanical...the judgement and the vigilance, which is essential to keeping guests safe. Keeping the line moving and the guests happy is the expectation. Being able to do so in a safe and personable matter is much more challenging than most realize. There are a ton of systems on these rides which are designed to keep riders safe. The most important ones are those in the station and/or at the controls.

Props.
Hooky965

Postby djw44 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:08 am

Yeah so much vigilance is necessary. You have to keep track of so many different variables, you can never get comfortable because that is when problems happen.
djw44

Postby nathanaelerik » Wed May 29, 2013 12:16 pm

I had the slowest ride on possessed ever the one visit. It was definitely getting kinks out. The initial launch started as usual but stalled out, we barely got up the first spike, then i thought we were going to stop mid ride on the way back to the station until the back of the train hit the LIMS (is that what the ride has?) and then it kicked the train up the back spike. But It was a terrible ride overall. We barely had any speed at all. :cry:

I love possessed too. So I was hugely disappointed.
nathanaelerik

Return to General Discussion