Whip

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Whip

Postby djw44 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:56 am

Is the whip building the original building?
djw44

Re: Whip

Postby Hooky965 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:26 pm

Wow, good question. Something makes me think that the ride was open at one point, but I really don't have any backing on that other than a vague memory of a black & white photo, which (honestly) could have been from elsewhere. Suffice to say, if the building isn't original, it's still pretty old.
Hooky965

Postby nathanaelerik » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:45 am

I do not know the answer to that question.

But didnt they do major maintaince on it a few years ago? Like redid the flooring? I cant seem to remember this properly..

I wish i liked the whip. Its just too boring.. :cry:
nathanaelerik

Postby Hooky965 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:58 pm

I can understand that feeling. It's one of those "first real rides" that kids can "graduate" to outside of the typical kiddie rides and camp snoopy, and after that the "thrill" wears off rather soon thereafter when they grow enough to get on bigger and faster stuff.

The ride itself is one of the few remaining survivors of Dorney's past, and it's a long-standing member at that. For those of us who remember when it was "Allentown's Park", and may even remember a family member or two telling us about the first time they rode the ride, it's got an appeal that is something more than the ride itself. It's a throwback to a different time, and is decidedly out of place in the park, but it is still standing, and still functioning, much the same as it has for my parents, and their parents, and their parents.....OK, I may be going too far back there, but you get the point.

For those who are younger, but old enough to ride everything else in the park, I guess the appeal may be in the funky quaintness of the ride itself. The steel floors, the big toothy flywheels, the smell of the grease, and the bars which don't lock down. It's still got a mild thirll, but I think that the overall experience of riding on something which has been doing the same thing in the same place for like 70 years is something that may make an impression on some, and may not on the rest (the majority).
Hooky965

Postby PepsiFan01 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:15 am

I always take the time to ride The Whip and enjoy it. It's a classic, and hasn't changed a bit for so long. It's a nice piece of DP history.
PepsiFan01

Postby djw44 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:48 pm

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =960%2C720

I love the whip, I love everything about it. It is a fun thrill, especially with a date. I love the force pulling you on the wheels, I love the smell of the grease, the quaintness of the building. I love the size of the building allowing you to marathon it during a rain storm. One of the most unique moments I can think of in the park is when we got caught in a rainstorm but rode the whip and it was magical. I loved operating it on occasion as well, the way the ride weakens as the ride cycle goes on, the feel of the subtleties of the ride. Everything about it I love.
djw44

Postby Christina87 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:01 pm

I love the whip. It is probably my favorite flat.
Christina87

Return to General Discussion