Dorney Park 2014

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Re: Dorney Park 2014

Postby Yoshi » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:19 am

Sounds like the next couple of years will be good with a new flat, additions to WWK and a new coaster. I also like that Screamscape says it could go in Dinosaurs Alive spot since that would mean no ride removals in order to build the new coaster.
Yoshi

Postby Hauntguy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:33 pm

If the 2015 coaster rumors are true, doesn't this mean this is the last year for Dinosaur's Alive? They would need all of the 2014 season for site preparation and construction. Having them knock down Dinos and opening up the woods area just screams GCI wooden coaster. Something like Prowler would definitely put Dorney back on the map. Like Yoshi said, if we see a major water park expansion, a nice new flat ride, and a roller coaster expansion (which could include new walkways, restaurants, shops, etc.) in the next 2 years, then we could see a quick turn around for Dorney.
Hauntguy

Postby MarinersMunchies » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:29 pm

Screamscapes rumor is pretty spot on and the assumption of a wooden coaster is a good one. If old rumors pan out we could see one of the largest expansions to the dry side since Hercules and company took over the top of the hill.
MarinersMunchies

Postby The Revenge » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:14 pm

I have been thinking this for a while and am just gonna say it. I have thought ever since Hydra was built about the space over the lake and behind Whitewater Landing that was previously used by Hercules and is now empty. I have thought it would be a good spot for another coaster but looking at the very little space that is actually in the area a full coaster could never really fit there. And lets face it guys Dorney doesn't have much room left unless they expand into the parking lot. So here is my thought Steel Force is torn down Next year (2014) to make way for a 245ft (not sure if that's the height limit in that spot or not but I know Steel Force is not as high as the restriction) B&M hyper coaster. Not to mention they removed swan boats and go karts which would leave more room for a B&M hyper than Steel Force had. I have been thinking this for years and it may be completely wrong and they may be putting a wooden coaster where Dinosaurs Alive is but with all these other Cedar Fair parks getting new B&M hypers and such (especially Canada's Wonderland), Steel Force is really looking outdated. Id be all for that idea even though we really do need a wooden one as well.
The Revenge

Postby Yoshi » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:54 pm

It's too bad there is the height restriction since I'd rather see them keep Steel Force and then add a B&M giga. The only B&M hyper I have ridden is Nitro and it's my 2nd favorite steel coaster and I'd rather have a coaster like that than Steel Force but am not sure I'd want to see Steel Force removed.
Yoshi

Postby Dorneyman27 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:40 am

I do not think Steel Force will be removed anytime soon. I think all the other cedar fair parks got their new hyper coasters recently because none of those parks had a 200ft+ coaster yet. Dorney, WOF, and Valleyfair already have their 200ft coasters and will probably keep them for a long time. I think that we might see a wooden coaster through the trees. This would be great because I love new wooden coasters. Renegade and Lightning Racer are my favorites. I can not think of any other possibilities unless another park is removing a coaster, but we already got 2 of these types, so I do not think that will happen.
Dorneyman27

Postby Dorneyman27 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:51 am

There is another spot for a roller coaster. They could put it just beyond Stinger. The haunt attraction would have to be removed and the storage centers could be moved offsite somewhere. Everytime I go on Zepher I think that they could put something back there. Maybe they would also have to move the train tracks again.
Dorneyman27

Postby MarinersMunchies » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:15 am

There are several people on this forum who know about previous plans and how they changed last second. Then Dinos Alive pushed those plans even further back! Look for the area the occupies Dinotown to become the home for the next coaster. Park management has been out to WoF and loves the way Prowler uses the terrain and trees so we should expect the same. Nothing big (100ft tall and 3k length tops) but a great addition to the lineup nonetheless. I'm excited about the development (midway, indoor restaurants, flat rides, etc.) that comes with it as that end of the park has been bad since the 90s.
MarinersMunchies

Postby djw44 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:25 pm

There is NO way they ever remove Steel Force. It would not make any sense and it really has a small footprint considering how no section of the ride besides the turnaround exceeds an acre. It is the longest coaster on the east coast and still a huge draw. It is also a highly efficient ride that keeps people spending money on the midway. No way they remove it!
djw44

Postby Hauntguy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:28 pm

MarinersMunchies wrote:There are several people on this forum who know about previous plans and how they changed last second. Then Dinos Alive pushed those plans even further back! Look for the area the occupies Dinotown to become the home for the next coaster. Park management has been out to WoF and loves the way Prowler uses the terrain and trees so we should expect the same. Nothing big (100ft tall and 3k length tops) but a great addition to the lineup nonetheless. I'm excited about the development (midway, indoor restaurants, flat rides, etc.) that comes with it as that end of the park has been bad since the 90s.

Does this mean 2015 is the entire expansion of the wooden coaster, flat rides, restaurants, shops, midway, etc. or just the wooden coaster and then an eventual midway growth in later years?
Hauntguy

Postby The Revenge » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:16 pm

djw44 wrote:There is NO way they ever remove Steel Force. It would not make any sense and it really has a small footprint considering how no section of the ride besides the turnaround exceeds an acre. It is the longest coaster on the east coast and still a huge draw. It is also a highly efficient ride that keeps people spending money on the midway. No way they remove it!

No offense but people say this about roller coasters all the time. I am not saying they are going to remove Steel Force but if they did for a newer, taller, faster, longer, B&M hyper that would accommodate more guest then why not? Its not like it would be removed for nothing. And while Steel Force does attract many guest a new taller B&M hyper would attract more. I don't know what their plans are but they have been clearing the area behind whitewater landing and removed the swan boats and go kart for something. I would love to see a new coaster regardless. Preferably a big wooden one but I would not be opposed to a B&M over steel force. Its just annoying that whenever Dorney gets something new, something else is forced to leave.
The Revenge

Postby coasterluver » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:27 pm

But remember, there are alot of other rides in the park that would go before Steel Force. I think it would be very dumb to remove the last 48 inch roller coaster.
Dorneyman27 wrote:There is another spot for a roller coaster. They could put it just beyond Stinger. The haunt attraction would have to be removed and the storage centers could be moved offsite somewhere. Everytime I go on Zepher I think that they could put something back there. Maybe they would also have to move the train tracks again.

I personally think its much more likely to see something back there. Face it, if they can put a roller coaster back there and still keep Dinos, they will, the longer they keep Dino, the more money they get.
coasterluver

Postby djw44 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:48 am

Steel Force is not going anywhere. It takes up very little space and is the Park's second most popular ride (by ridership) to Talon. A B&M Hyper would not do much different from Steel Force in using that same plot. Their lift hill slope is not that far off from Steel Force's. They could easily build a Raging Bull Style ride off of the side by Stinger and over in the rumored Dino area. Then again, I do not think they will get rid of the Dinos. I think this is just a wild rumor, Screamscape reports many of those. I can do a highlights reel of those, from the Arrow launched Giga that would replace the original Steel Phantom that it was developing with NASA to launch ships to the moon, the removal of the classic Kennywood railroad and tear down of the popular rapids ride to build an "RMC" creation, or even one better than all of those, http://www.coasteroftheday.com/5/post/2 ... ideas.html . I think a more space savvy and inexpensive addition (7-9 million zone) would be a compact Premier launched attraction in that area we were talking about around the lake and Hercules area or something along those lines, either in the model of Superman SFDK, Full Throttle or a more full layout such as Sky Rocket. I would love to see the Dinos go, but I doubt it. I believe Cedar Fair has decided not to put much investment into the park because they have 6 of 7 parks ahead of it in which they get a much better return for investment. As much as I love Dorney, it is near the bottom of the pack.
djw44

Postby pc215 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:26 am

It does make alittle sense if they are clearing up space behind White Water Landing. If it is any type of coaster, the track can run right by Thunder Canyon's pathway leading to WWK. There is alittle bit of activity going on there as the picture shows. It would be cool to see a GCI woodie go up in that area. I guess the pathway next to Meteor and Hydra would lead to the entrance to the coaster. We can only believe as of now.
pc215

Postby MarinersMunchies » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:12 pm

Pretty sure all the homes on the other side would put the kabosh on that type of expansion. Anyone have the height limit maps for the park?
MarinersMunchies

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion