Dorney Park 2014

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Re: Dorney Park 2014

Postby Dorneyman27 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:23 pm

If I remember correctly, it was 250 ft. Not positive though. I do like the idea of using the land beyond white water landing and thunder canyon. That leaves the area by Stinger, the dinos, and area beyond revolution open for future expansion. If we get the flying scooters ride, that could go in the old speedway and swan boat area. They could call it lakeside gliders just like michigans adventure.
Dorneyman27

Postby dp45879 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:19 pm

I'm pretty sure the height restriction near TC is very low.
dp45879

Postby MarinersMunchies » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:37 pm

^ thats exactly what I thought.
MarinersMunchies

Postby SnowManPA » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:48 pm

I think DP is back on track to get yearly updates. This years update was new entertainment. It seams that the new management team wants all of the CF parks to grow and attract new people and higher attendance. The old management wanted DP to die or be a so so park. We have huge markets around us and great parks to compete with, Matt O. wants to fight for that discretionary dollar.
SnowManPA

Postby coasterluver » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:52 pm

Boy I hope!
coasterluver

Postby Hauntguy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:39 pm

I drove by Dorney yesterday and saw construction markers and silt fences bordering the new land that was purchased a few years back to extend the overflow parking lot. If they are working on this now, I can see the extended overflow being done by next year, opening up the land behind revolution and next to Dinos. Hopefully these strong 2015 rumors can come to fruition.
Hauntguy

Postby MarinersMunchies » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:32 pm

^ saw that as well....since its so close to the road I assumed it would be drainage/piping for sewer lines. Regardless, something to keep an eye on.
MarinersMunchies

Postby Dorneyman27 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:42 pm

I looked through all the Cedar Fair parks on Screamscape. Dorney Park, King's Dominion, and Carowinds are all rumored to get there next new coaster in 2015. That is interesting because all three parks are grouped together in the 1.5 million people a year attendance mark. Does that mean all three parks will get a similar coaster in 2015? I know that in 2010, King's Dominion and Carowinds both got an Intimidator themed coaster. Not the same rides, but similar concepts. 2015 could be a year where all three parks get a new wooden coaster, a wing coaster, or something completely different. I hope that we do not get something small, and the other two parks get something large.
Dorneyman27

Postby coasterluver » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:58 pm

While its possible we may get a 2015 coaster, I doubt that it will be in the current Dinosaurs Alive like Screamscape said, as the park is in contract with the company that owns the Dinos, Dinosaurs Unearthed, which is a 5 or 7 year contract, either one not being up by 2015, so, sorry, but Dinosaurs Alive by law cannot go anywhere for a while...
coasterluver

Postby Hauntguy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:00 pm

That is exactly what I was wondering, because I knew about the contract Dorney and Dinosaurs Unearthed had. Can they legally move it to another park to make way for the coaster, or is the coaster going somewhere else as mentioned?
Hauntguy

Postby Dorneyman27 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:28 pm

I think that Michigan's Adventure is the only Cedar Fair park without Dinosaurs Alive. I would guess that all the contracts for Dinosaur's Alive are with Cedar Fair, so I would say that it could get moved. With overflow lot expansion, that would still leave a lot of room for a new coaster without removing Dinosaur's Alive. And when the contract does expire, they could add another coaster. That would leave the park room for two more large roller coasters before major expansion or ride removal would take place for the next one.
Dorneyman27

Postby Dorneyman27 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:43 pm

According to News Plus Notes, there are several new new rides and attractions for 2014 for all the parks. Other than King's Island, none of the parks will be receiving a new coaster(Not a surprise). Good news for all the parks though, including Dorney. Family rides(multiple parks), waterpark expansion(Dorney?), dark ride(Cedar Point?), expanded live entertainment(all parks?). They said they were happy with Fast Pay, and will be expanding it. So, maybe all these money making gimmicks,(preferred parking, fast lane, fast pay, new refillable bottles, etc.) are paying off and we could start seeing new rides and attractions at all the parks.
Dorneyman27

Postby IhaveSonar » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:06 pm

After years of questionable rides and a year of no additions whatsoever, even these somewhat modest additions will be welcomed in my mind and great upgrades to the park. I'm excited for 2014.

On the topic of hypothetically removing Steel Force.... It's quite possibly the park's most iconic and best ride, as well as the largest. Furthermore, with the exception of Son of Beast, I am fairly certain not a single hypercoaster in the world has been torn down, so I consider it unlikely for Dorney to remove its version. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

The concept of removing hypercoasters is a strange one.... they're so large and iconic; removing them would have such a large impact on their parks. I would be saddened to see them go, though it must happen eventually.
IhaveSonar

Postby Hooky965 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:01 am

As previous posts have stated, I also see no real reason why SF would be removed. For that to happen, you'd have to see a scenario where the ride was seeing dramatically low ridership coupled with escalating costs to maintain the ride, perhaps with the coupling of several pressworthy negative incidents involving injury or (God forbid) fatality. SF has none of these factors going against it. It has proven itself as a reliable ride, enjoys high ridership, and has earned a sterling reputation (deservedly so) for safety. You don't remove a ride like that for the hope of, essentially, repeating it with a newer and perhaps more thrilling ride. You add elsewhere, but you don't spend (likely) hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars to remove something just to spend multiple millions to build a replacement. It just doesn't make sense.

Hercules was a great ride early on, but eroded from a deserved reputation of being a rough ride. It didn't age well, and over time it suffered lowered ridership primarily due to how the wood changed over time and affected the experience of the ride. There were also some incidents of record associated with Hercules. The costs associated with making it right again were too high, so the park moved on with Hydra.

I don't see a parallel course for steel force.
Hooky965

Postby PepsiFan01 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:04 am

Steel Force is one of the park's highlights. It's a reliable, fun ride that the park continues to be proud of having. Definitely agree it's not going away.
PepsiFan01

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion