Free Parking

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Free Parking

Postby phillydude » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:10 am

Hey folks... long time no visit, either for DP or DPO.

Thinking about making the trip up there next Tuesday, arriving at 4 for the twilight discount pricing. Site says WWK is open til 6 and DP is open til 8, which should be enough time to do everything given that we are familiar with the park layout and know what rides we want to do and what order to do them in.

The hitch is the $15 parking fee... I can see spending $60 for two people to spend four hours in the park... but $75 is a little more than I'd like to bargain for. So is there anyplace close enough that you can walk to the gate where you can stash a car for that short amount of time? Restaurant or hotel parking lot? Shopping center or plaza? On the street?
How would you feel if you had a plate of fresh hand-cut french fries and wanted ketchup but instead I threw a dog turd on top of them and said, "It's better than nothing?" - modernphoenixv2

People have to eat. - Dick Kinzel
phillydude

Re: Free Parking

Postby coasterluver » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:53 pm

The closest place to park, that is still safe to cross the streets, would be the shopping center across the street, the one with Talbots. You can park there, and then use the cross walk to walk down to the main car entrance, where the will be a gate for people walking to get to the parking lot. Its a bit of a hike, but if you really don't want to throw away that $15, its well worth it.
coasterluver

Postby dorneydude » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:30 pm

may try to go down the main parking entrace but say you are picking up a few kids...might get you in being so late...
---the ORIGINAL DorneyDude
dorneydude

Postby coasterluver » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:52 pm

Just don't forget many people who read posts on this site are also cashiers at the park.... :twisted:
coasterluver

Postby dorneydude » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:59 pm

Ha! Not suggesting the cashiers get themselves in trouble and I have no idea what the rules are the cashiers are to enforce...but paying $15 to park for 3 hours is rediculous. I recall when they had the season pass holders lot, folks not belonging would end up in there all the time. I never blamed the guy in the booth...how do they really know if its a drop off or not. I am not saying its right and I personally would feel guilty doing so if I was arriving for the day...but no so guilty 3 hours before the park closed!

Perhaps the new drop off / pick up process process eliminate this and you tell the folks turn around and go around front? Personally, come Haunt, I am going to try entering through the back for drop offs and if the gate is open for pick ups as well. I have not been there since June when I dropped my kids off and it took me 25 minutes to drop them off and 90 minutes to pick them up!
:roll:
dorneydude

Postby Hooky965 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:01 pm

Brings up an interesting point...I wonder if an advertised "free park" for those twilight admissions (as indicated) would bring an uptick in gate admissions on these evenings?

As school is in session right now, it's likely that it would be minimal, as it would probably only benefit local season pass holders, but it's very possible, with a few "park dinners" and games and such, not to mention the incremental increase in gate admissions for things just like this, that they'd offset the shortfall and have that increased potential income by way of more bodies through the turnstiles.

just a thought....
Hooky965

Postby rotlex » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:05 am

Hard to believe they don't offer a reduced parking rate after 5pm or something. Actually, it's hard to believe they charge $15 to park when they have no tram service - especially if you are stuck in the overflow areas. (The fact that they charge the same amount you pay at Disney for parking is mind blowing actually).
rotlex

Postby The Revenge » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:02 pm

rotlex wrote:Hard to believe they don't offer a reduced parking rate after 5pm or something. Actually, it's hard to believe they charge $15 to park when they have no tram service - especially if you are stuck in the overflow areas. (The fact that they charge the same amount you pay at Disney for parking is mind blowing actually).

Guess you have never paid to park at Great Adventure before then. Hershey's parking is about $10 or $15 as well I do not remember. Its only $15 not that big of a deal. Go to Six Flags and pay $22 for parking. No one is forcing you to go to Dorney Park.
The Revenge

Postby rotlex » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:29 pm

The Revenge wrote:
rotlex wrote:Hard to believe they don't offer a reduced parking rate after 5pm or something. Actually, it's hard to believe they charge $15 to park when they have no tram service - especially if you are stuck in the overflow areas. (The fact that they charge the same amount you pay at Disney for parking is mind blowing actually).

Guess you have never paid to park at Great Adventure before then. Hershey's parking is about $10 or $15 as well I do not remember. Its only $15 not that big of a deal. Go to Six Flags and pay $22 for parking. No one is forcing you to go to Dorney Park.

No one is forcing me to go there for sure, but they are making it more and more difficult to justify my season pass. As far as parking, I think you missed my point. Dorney has a horrendous parking system; no tram for those folks that can't walk easily, i.e. with young children, strollers etc., and are charging as much if not more than any park out there. I expect it at Six Flags, or Hershey. You know, real parks with real rides that actually get updates often. (Not 20 year old free falls and broken down Stingers).

The only thing Dorney offers me and my family any more is the convenience of being 10 minutes away. If not for that, I'd probably never visit again.
rotlex

Postby dp45879 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:41 pm

Realistically, it's an amusement park, which involves walking; if walking isn't your thing, maybe amusement parks aren't either.

And quite honestly, none of us really care if you don't plan on renewing your passes or if you prefer the other parks in the area...I don't know how many times we've seen people say that they're not renewing, and then the following year they're back here complaining. Tell your family if you don't want to renew...not us.
dp45879

Postby rotlex » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:21 pm

dp45879 wrote:Realistically, it's an amusement park, which involves walking; if walking isn't your thing, maybe amusement parks aren't either.

And quite honestly, none of us really care if you don't plan on renewing your passes or if you prefer the other parks in the area...I don't know how many times we've seen people say that they're not renewing, and then the following year they're back here complaining. Tell your family if you don't want to renew...not us.

LOL, a little uptight over something? WOW. Not complaining by the way, just discussing Dorney. Get over it. As far as walking? No problem with it. Just stating that when a park is charging an excessive amount to park a car and then offers nothing for it, I think that's wrong.

Didn't mean to offend anyone, just voicing an opinion. Not allowed to do that eh? Lemme guess. Your like a Dorney Park fan boy or something right? Getting offended and making rude comments to someone who wasn't even talking to you to begin with.

Sorry to anyone else on this forum I might have upset. I normally enjoy the company and the conversations here.
rotlex

Postby dp45879 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:43 pm

The discussions get a little stale when it's the same people complaining about the same things. How many times do we need to hear that people don't like Dorney's ride additions or that the price is too high for different things? A complaint is voicing your displeasure over something, and that's just most of what I see on this forum. Can we discuss the park for what it is and not just what needs to be changed?

By the way, I'm not a 'fanboy' at all, I've only been to the park about 4 times this year and I don't plan on renewing my pass next year. Regardless, I'm not going to come on these forums and tell you all WHY I'm not renewing, I'm just going to continue to discuss the park for what it is, whether I have a pass or ny, because I do enjoy the park.
dp45879

Postby The Revenge » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:03 pm

You haven't upset me an I am not a fanboy either, my problem comes with the people who complain about Dorney's prices. While yes there food is over priced it's an amusement park and they are all over priced its like going to a movie theater and getting popcorn what do you expect? Like really? Also I can't stand all these people complaining about how much the tickets are now and how much parking is, because they are the exact same people complaining about how crowded the water park is and how awful the people in the park are. Yet when the park wants to raise its price they are the first to become upset because they are not use to paying that much for Dorney Park.

Dorney Park is still the most reasonable park in the Northeast for what you actually get for the amount you pay. Six Flags is nothing but roller coasters and absolutely no atmosphere. Their parking is expensive and you are parked much further away from the park there than at Dorney also you're looking at an extra $30 for Hurricane Harbor. Hershey is beautiful family friendly but lacking in the water park section. Dorney gives the best of both worlds at a much lower price and for the small amount of land they own, with all the height and sound restrictions on the park they utilize it as best they can. Also you complained about their used rides but they still have those rides to offer. There could just be nothing there if you prefer. Used ride or not it is still something the park offers.

It is just getting a little annoying all these people whining about pricing as if someone is forcing them to go to Dorney Park. Go to Sea World or Busch Gardens and pay a load of money for far less, then come back and tell me Dorney is over priced for what they offer. As someone who has been to many theme parks, yes it is a little annoying how expensive things are sometimes but I know what to expect its a theme park for crying out loud. If I don't like it I don't have to go. Neither do you.
The Revenge

Postby dorneydude » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:40 am

er uh..I did not renew two of 4 passes this year. It will be 3 of 4 next year. The remaining one is only used for the haunt. Best value around...perhaps you should go up to Knoebels. Perhaps if DP were listening to the complainers, revenue would not be down...just saying.... :mrgreen:
dorneydude

Postby The Revenge » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:48 pm

dorneydude wrote:er uh..I did not renew two of 4 passes this year. It will be 3 of 4 next year. The remaining one is only used for the haunt. Best value around...perhaps you should go up to Knoebels. Perhaps if DP were listening to the complainers, revenue would not be down...just saying.... :mrgreen:

Best value for what it offers and cheap are two different thing. Do you really think Knoebels is on the same level in what it offer as Dorney Park? Knoebels is cheaper for a reason. But if Knoebels has everything you want then it may be the best value for you. But clearly it doesn't which is why you guys are so mad, because you know Dorney has a lot more to offer and you are just pissed about having to pay a higher price. When in reality it is not that unreasonable. It only seems that way to those who have paid less before. If it didn't matter that much to you guys you would just not go to Dorney Park. Also last time I checked they were not down in revenue the entire company was up in revenue.
The Revenge

Next

Return to General Discussion