Dorney Park 2015

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Re: Dorney Park 2015

Postby Hooky965 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:02 pm

Normally, I'd say (with some reservation) that where there's smoke, there's usually some kind of fire. Then I read this on wikipedia: (Backstory: the Mantis was originally called "Banshee", but the name was quickly changed shortly after the ride was introduced due to some backlash on the meaning of the word)

As the coaster's name was changed, so was its logo, to a praying mantis. Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom adopted the old Banshee logo for its hypercoaster, Steel Force, which opened in 1997.
Hooky965

Postby RollerBabe » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:38 am

Does anyone have a pdf of the zoning in and around Dorney?

It's weird....I use to be HUGE amusement park fan because I grew up working at the Park in the last 90's/early 2000s and a visit this past summer rekindled that interest. Can't stop thinking about Dorney and how it will improve over the years.
RollerBabe

Postby jscll » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:16 pm

Here is a link to the South Whitehall Township ordinance:
http://www.southwhitehall.com/zoning/zoningord.pdf
Use Ctrl-f and enter "12.28(c)(14)" to jump right to the section on "COMMERCIAL RECREATION".
jscll

Postby randydorney » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:04 pm

My guess from the tweet that @DorneyParkPR wrote out about Mantis and saying #DPstandsUpwithCP , this could mean that Mantis may be heading for Dorney Park in 2015 season!

But usually Dorney makes their announcements by late October towards the end of the season. My question is where would they place it at?

First came to my mind is behind Demon Drop since that area is closed off to the public. Second guess would be removing Dino and place it near Steel Force or move it to where it goes into the new area of land they bought earlier this year.

Thoughts?
Play disney ride simulations online!! Be the operator of your favorite disney ride attractions!! You're in control!! Visit website: http://www.themagical.nl
Ride Ops Meteor: 02,03,09'
randydorney

Postby RollerBabe » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:06 pm

I think we would've heard something at this point if it was going in down near Demon Drop simply due to the proximity to residential housing. As for near Dino's, there is a possibility if you place it in the overflow lot. Would definitely add a nice thrill to that section if the rumor about Scorpion leaving is true.
RollerBabe

Postby jscll » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:47 pm

There is no way Mantis could fit behind Demon Drop. Most of the area the speedway took up is under Steel Force's helix. If you go further back to the currently unused area Hercules took up, the land is too steep. Mantis is designed for a relatively flat piece of land.

Mantis also could not go into the land most recently acquired by the park from the county because the land is zoned standard (limited use), meaning that the park is not currently allowed to use the land for rides. Anyway, this parcel of land is separated from the park proper, making it much more desirable for use as parking.

It could go in the woods, either to the North of the stream (where the Dinos are) or to the South. The problem with either of these proposals is a very large number of trees would have to be removed. Mantis has a lot of low to the ground elements.

There is the option of the open area behind Revolution (Grave Walker's area), as well as the field behind Stinger (on the far side of the Zephyr's tracks. I am not convinced Mantis could fit into either location though, Mantis does take up a fair bit of land and is obviously not designed for these sites.

This leads us to a very Six Flags solution of plopping the ride down into the parking lot. (To be fair, Cedar Fair has done that before. A notable example is Dominator at Kings Dominion, which just happens to have been owned previously by Six Flags.) The park cannot afford any sizable section of the parking lot to be removed because as is, parking gets tight on very busy days. Even with the new overflow lot, I have seen cars parked across the street this season.
jscll

Postby RollerBabe » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:33 am

Kings Dominion owned by Six Flags at one point? Check your facts on that. I'm pretty sure Cedarfair purchased that directly from Paramount Parks. Regardless, Mantis could work in that area and would be the perfect foundation ride to revamping the entire lower midway.
RollerBabe

Postby The Revenge » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:16 pm

RollerBabe wrote:Kings Dominion owned by Six Flags at one point? Check your facts on that. I'm pretty sure Cedarfair purchased that directly from Paramount Parks. Regardless, Mantis could work in that area and would be the perfect foundation ride to revamping the entire lower midway.

He means Dominator was once owned by Six Flags not Kings Dominion. I am not sure if it is coming to Dorney. But If it does I see it being in part of the parking lot and part of the park where the pavilions are. It could fit where Grave walkers is behind Revolution and go into the woods but that would be a lot of work and tree removal, also make the park look ridiculous with 5 coasters in close proximity. So I think they would put it somewhere different. But lets not assume its coming yet, it is just as likely to be converted to a floorless for Cedar Point. It just doesn't seem very Cedar Point like to revamp a coaster instead of built a new recording breaking one.
The Revenge

Postby nathanaelerik » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:19 pm

Uhm, I wouldn't be telling people to check their facts about things when you say things like "scorpion is leaving" rumor. It's Stinger, and where did you hear this rumor?

I just watched a POV today of mantis, I dont want it. At all.
I want dorney to get something new.. Tired of these hand me downs. Tired of Dinos taking up space when clearly no one cares about it.

Mantis, if reloacted, stand up or not, should go to a park other than dorney, like Michigans adventure. (first park that comes to mind)

it should be like, standupAGAINSTmantis for dorney park, ha.
nathanaelerik

Postby coasterluver » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:23 pm

Food for thought... Mantis is extremely loud... I know everytime I pass the ride I have to stop my conversation because its too loud to scream over... it would have to be sand filled like Talon or neighbors would have a fit... Is that even possible to do with a relocated ride? And even if it was possible would they even spend the money to do that.
coasterluver

Postby DPInsider » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:30 pm

My sources tell me instead of the originally planned Windseeker, Dorney will be adding Flying Scooters next to Stinger for 2015.
Hopefully we see general midway improvements down in that section of the park as well.
DPInsider

Postby Yoshi » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:53 pm

Flying Scooters look like they are fun. I have wanted to try them at Hersheypark but always seem to forget a out them since I focus on the coasters when I am there.
Yoshi

Postby The Revenge » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:10 pm

Am I the only one who doesn't care for Flying Scooters. Can't we get a large flat ride? Like one of those jack hammer flat rides or take out Revolution and give us a giant Huss Frisbee. How is flying scooters any different than Apollo?

And about Mantis, it would come to Dorney before MA or Valley Fair. Dorney is a better investment property with a huge market and if it does leave Cedar Point which I kinda don't know if it will or not. It would most definitely go to a Cedar Fair tier 2 park not a tier 3. Most likely Dorney.

And it would be easy to fill it with sand, they have to dismantle the ride anyway and would just drill a hole in the track and fill it with sand. But I really am not sure it is even leaving Cedar Point. I hate stand ups, but I can't deny how awesome our skyline would look with Mantis and how unique our coaster line up would be.
The Revenge

Postby nathanaelerik » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:44 pm

I don't personally care for flying scooters, but I figured they were the next step for the windseeker spot.

Their different from apollo as you control your pod using the front wing, making it able to swing in and out however you want. So each ride is a new experience.. kinda..

I agree about needing a large flat ride.
nathanaelerik

Postby randydorney » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:16 pm

Here's two concept design ideas that I came up for Mantis at the lower park near Steel Force / Dino area.

Concept Idea #1

Concept Idea #2
Play disney ride simulations online!! Be the operator of your favorite disney ride attractions!! You're in control!! Visit website: http://www.themagical.nl
Ride Ops Meteor: 02,03,09'
randydorney

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion