Dorney Park 2015

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Re: Dorney Park 2015

Postby RollerBabe » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:29 am

Not that I ever thought it was going to happen, but Mantis isn't coming to Dorney. This waiting game is getting ridiculous. Does anyone know when management went to the township for approval on Snake Pit?
RollerBabe

Postby nathanaelerik » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:35 am

MarinersMunchies wrote:With Haunt starting up this is the perfect time to start marketing a new attraction for 2015. Hopefully we see something for the upcoming weekend. I'm hoping the Flyer's they were strongly considering for 2014 make their way to the park this year.

The thing about big "corporate" parks adding flyers is they neuter them really bad. You want a real ride on flyers you have to go to park like knoebels. Id much rather see a different, more original thrilling flat ride go in on that circle. But either way, corporate parks would mean neutering the ride and short ride time..
nathanaelerik

Postby Hooky965 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:47 pm

Just curious, because I've never done a real comparison between the two as it's been a while since I've been at Knoebel's, but do you think that the flyer at Hershey is "neutered"? I've been on that a time or two, and it seems like it operates as I thought it should. What do they do to this ride to take the original thrill out?
Hooky965

Postby nathanaelerik » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:14 am

Ive] never been on the hershey park one because I dont care for flyers. What most corporate parks do is put bumpers/other movement restricting devices on the wing so that you cant "whip" the car quickly. Its actually a policy on flyers, but knoebles doesn't enforce it. You'd have to look up youtube videos of it. Its hard to describe.

But seeing how Cedar Fair operates with safety, id definitely see them being neutered/tamed down.

Any info on the ones new operating at other cedar fair parks? Like youtube videos or anything?

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY4FP2ZGdqc

At knoebels, see how fast they swing all the way out and back in? Most parks make it so they cant do that.
nathanaelerik

Postby Hooky965 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:16 pm

THAT is fantastic. Love the sound of the engine as well.

Nope, they don't do that at Hershey. It almost looks like virtually everyone on the ride knew how to get the most out of it as well. I was impressed at the way that some of them could make it "stall" at the lowest point, then get the added speed from the whiplash of the ride taking them to the high point at greater speed. Good stuff.
Hooky965

Postby Hooky965 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:21 pm

This is completely off topic and probably belongs in a different thread/forum, but I have to ask if smoking is allowed in Knoebels. It's not because I smoke, actually gave it up over 17 years ago, rather I think that the occasional waft of cigarette smoke would complete the whole "amusement park the way it used to be" thing. :wink:
Hooky965

Postby jscll » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:47 pm

Questions regarding other parks probably belongs under industry discussions. The answer to your question is; smoking is only allowed in designated areas at Knoebels (identified by blue benches.) Even if a park wanted to allow smoking at large, state law would probably prohibit it. I must say, I wish parks would move their designated smoking areas such that I do not have to hold my breath every time I want to use the restroom...

Anyway, back on subject. In the center of the concrete laid for the flying scooters, there is a spot that has been bored thru and filled in with a low quality concrete plug. Does anyone know how long ago this was done?
jscll

Postby mandylouwho » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:20 pm

Can I ask a dumb question?

What is the big difference between a ride like Apollo and a flyer? (besides the obvious ones)I have seen both, and they generally do the same thing no? The flyers seem to have more "whip" to them while the Apollo is structured in its arm movements. I have not been on both, only one, so I cannot compare. I'm just curious.

Have there been any announcements yet?
~Mandy
"If you can't think of something nice to say, come sit by me."
mandylouwho

Postby jscll » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:18 pm

Flying Scooters are hung by cables and the riders have control giving a interactive and variable ride experience. Apollo gives a more dynamic ride experience. Both are excellent family rides that are also appropriate for teenagers and adults without young children. Both have a fairly low operating cost requiring a single operator each. If nothing more, when Dorney adds flying scooters, they will add capacity to their family ride lineup.
jscll

Postby Hauntguy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:47 pm

Does anybody remember when Route 76 was announced by Valleyfair last year? I'm not positive but I feel like it was much later than the typical August announcements for Cedar Fair parks. Maybe its a midway renovation for the lower portion of the park(which I think we can all agree is much due for new life) for 2015 and they are just getting things all planned out.

Also, has anyone noticed how Cedar Fair claimed the rights to the name Centurion about a year ago but that name was not claimed at all this year for a new attraction? Since we are majorly due for the wooden coaster in 2016, does anyone think the two are related? Just a thought.
Hauntguy

Postby Yoshi » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:02 pm

Valleyfair announced it on September 25th last year.

I got a season pass renewal postcard in the mail yesterday. Usually whatever the new addition for Dorney is highlighted on the postcard. This year Snake Pit was on 1 side and Hydra was on the other side. If there was a new addition, I thought it would have been shown on the postcard.
Yoshi

Postby nathanaelerik » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:21 pm

I think, in that spot, they should invest in a modern paratrooper, even if its one of those flying models. That would be really cool especially since that empty ride pad is so close to trees.

Would provide excellent fly-bys and would be one of those more thrilling family rides like the audience Apollo caters too.
nathanaelerik

Postby coasterluver » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:24 pm

It was confirmed today by Brad Marcy during Coaster Madness that they are planning on adding a family attraction next season, but are awaiting township approval before making an announcement.
coasterluver

Postby nathanaelerik » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:46 am

This is going to make me sound so dumb but,
Ive never heard of him. Who is he?

And whitehall/allentown whoever township they deal with needs to seriously lighten up. How on earth would you not accept a family addition.
nathanaelerik

Postby SnowManPA » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:52 pm

The Park is surrounded by residential neighborhoods and the residents in the past have complained about the noise. The Township is covering there @#S so they don't have to hear the complaints from the neighbors. The Township is also a pain and gives DP problems every time they want to do something, the Township Supervisors think they are gods.
SnowManPA

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion