Hercules

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Hercules

Postby DorneyDante » Tue May 27, 2003 2:53 pm

I was just wondering what everyones opinions are on Hercules. I'm a member of several online coaster boards and on each one Herc just gets bashed to death. Since, this is strictly a DP board I wanted a POV from Dorney fans. I think Herc used to be an outstanding ride (coming from someone who rode it opening year in '89), but is sorta lackluster as it stands today but I still consider it a good ride. Without those trims it would be a great ride. Not only do they slow the ride down but IMO make it rougher because the train is going so slow. So, what is your opinion on Hercules?
DorneyDante

Postby sfnitro230 » Tue May 27, 2003 3:34 pm

I do not like Hercules. It deserves its nickname of "hurt-your-knees". Also, I don't think Dorney is doing anything to try to improve it because last year, they re-tracked the drop, the part that least needed re-tracking. Dorney also removes PTC's padding from the trains, replacing it with hard stuff.
sfnitro230

Postby silverghost » Tue May 27, 2003 10:49 pm

I go on it only because it is a coaster. otherwise, it's not very good. just get josh started on this, he'll tell you what should be done with the whole ride. . . . :lol:

SG
silverghost

Postby DorneyDante » Wed May 28, 2003 3:54 pm

Did any of you ride Hercules pre Cedar Fair days(anytime before '93)? Your opinion on it just might be slightly different if so. Maybe you guys are too young I dunno.
DorneyDante

Postby RCTForce » Wed May 28, 2003 8:21 pm

I'm one of the few who actually loves the thing. I've ridden it without the trim at the top, and it was pure awsomeness (is that a word?). I don't mind shaking, infact I love it.

If they wanted to, they could really make that ride world class and retrack it and give it a new layout. The drop and turn are amazing, but the ride really slows down after that.
RCTForce

Postby dptalon135 » Wed May 28, 2003 8:46 pm

I think Hercules has some great potential, especially if they left the soft PTC padding on and removed the trim brakes. The ride could be so much better that way. But in it's current state, I hate it. I won't say what I think should be done to it here... IM me if you really want to know :wink: .
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby randydorney » Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:32 pm

I don't really like hercules that much :!: Last year, I cracked my back in three different spots. The upper of my back near my neck, the middle of my back, and my lower back. That really ruined my stay at Dorney Park. I heard that later in a few years that Hercules will be re-tracking its route and adding BRAND NEW TRAINS!! Until this time, the topic is in the works as for the coming season in 2004. (**BIG POSSIBLE FOR A NEW ROLLER COASTER ATTRACTION or they might be going with a small attraction like Meteor.)
The after taste of Hercules is: Lower Back sores, head ache, and motion sickness.
This is my warning to you young riders:(READ THE WARNING SIGNS BEFORE YOU RIDE ANY ATTRACTIONS IN DORNEY PARK!! SAFETY FIRST!!)
- WARNING -
Many rides at Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom are dynamic and thrilling. For your protection, each ride is rated for speed, motion and other special features. Restrictions for guests of extreme size (height or weight) are posted at certain rides. Guests with disabilities should refer to our Ride Admission Policy available at the Guest Relations office. Participate responsibly. You should be in good health to ride safely. You know your physical condition and limitations, Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom does not. If you suspect your health could be at risk for any reason, or you could aggravate a pre-existing condition of any kind, DO NOT RIDE!
Play disney ride simulations online!! Be the operator of your favorite disney ride attractions!! You're in control!! Visit website: http://www.themagical.nl
Ride Ops Meteor: 02,03,09'
randydorney

Postby dptalon135 » Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:29 pm

New trains wouldn't do much; it is the track. Keeping the PTC padding on the trains would also help, but they don't need new trains for that.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby Medusa1861 » Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:21 pm

When i was at DOrney Park. Hercules hurt the first time.. Then during senset, i rode it again. And it got SOO much better! So NOw i was left with a good expirience of it. And i like that ride. You just gotta ride it at the right time i suppose.
Medusa1861

Postby sfnitro230 » Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:04 pm

When dptalon135 and I were at Dorney for Coastermadness, Hercules was not that bad (we actually could put our hands up :lol: ).
sfnitro230

Postby dptalon135 » Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:45 pm

Yeah, I almost wanted to go on it again... it was still slow and shuffled on the high turns, but it was actually tolerable as far as the beating up goes. Still not the Lightning Racer/Twister/Phoenix I want :wink: .
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby Seiko » Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:10 pm

I personally do not get why everyone bashes hercules. Besides Lightning Racer at Hershey I believe Hercules is the second smoothest wooden coaster out of 12 I have ridden. I always put my hands up!!!
Seiko

Postby dptalon135 » Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:42 pm

Smoothest? Compared to Lightning Racer? You've gotta be kidding. At least Lightning Racer is consistently smooth... Hercules varies an insane amound over each day, but never has come close to matching LR, Phoenix or Knoebel's Twister, at least in my eyes. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions though...
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby Seiko » Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:51 pm

Well as much as I love roller coasters I have never ridden the two you mentioned. Oh, yeah, and I have to correct myself, Hersheys Comet is smoother than Hercules but Hercules is smoother than Thunderhawk.
Seiko

Postby dptalon135 » Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:53 pm

Well, of course Comet is smooth, only because it was trimmed to death and has nice padding... but I honestly am in shock that you find Hercules smoother than Thunderhawk... :?
dptalon135
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion