Hercules

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Postby Seiko » Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:05 pm

Well although I love Dorney, I have only been there three times. I kind of just thought about going last year. I have only been on Thunderhawk three times and I believe it is slightly rough, barely. Only one of the two coasters I have ever ridden that I will admit that besides Wildcat.

Maybe I just know how to ride Hercules the right way, but I still believe it is a smooth, better experience than Thunderhawk although Thunderhawk is a more interesting ride.
Seiko

Postby dptalon135 » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:40 pm

Ah, I'm starting to understand... when was the last time you rode Thunderhawk?
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby Seiko » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:52 pm

I think we should continue our conversation in the Thunderhawk(made by me) topic because this is a Hercules topic. But I will answer.

The last time I rode Thunderhawk was October 2002 sometime. I plan to go back at the end of this month. I still love the ride, just think it could use some more padding.

Oh, and I can admit Viper at Six Flags is a little rough at the end too, but that is it.

By the way, I have been on Thunderhawk six times, not three. I meant three visits when I put that, by I went on it twice each time. Same with Hercules, six times on, and I believe it is smoother than Thunderhawk.
Seiko

Postby SROSSFNE » Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:59 pm

I dont like hercules, along with thunderhawk, but i though hercules would be more rough. it did hurt my back though. I think that thunderhawk was worse then hercules though.
SROSSFNE

Postby DorneyDante » Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:05 pm

dptalon135 wrote:New trains wouldn't do much; it is the track. Keeping the PTC padding on the trains would also help, but they don't need new trains for that.

This is just a suggestion, but maybe the non padding is a hygiene issue. Padding carries bacteria and germs. If someone would bleed onto open padding they would have replace the padding. Its more sterile to keep no padding.
DorneyDante

Postby dptalon135 » Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:24 pm

That doesn't really make a whole lot of sense... the actual padding is covered... if someone is bleeding, you wipe the blood off the seat, wash it, and you're ready to go... it would make no difference to the hygiene to have soft padding over concrete. If it were a real issue, why do all the other PTC trains in PA have real padding?
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby DorneyDante » Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:54 pm

If the padding is exposed as in the filling. Like when you break a pillow open. That filling carries germs and bacteria. Moisture/water would make that such a mess and would have to be replaced if a hole was made in the padding. Its more clean and sterile to keep that hard crap on it. But like I said I don't work for Dorney and am just making a suggestion. I have no idea what the real answer to the question is. I cannot justify why Dorney does some of the silly stuff that they do, all ranging from unnecessary trim breaks on rollercoasters to trashcans every 2 feet. The part about the hard plastic crap being more sterile is definately 100% accurate. If this is the real reason why Dorney has it on the trains I couldn't tell you that. How many times have you seen old school coaster pics with trains that have padding and the padding has tears and holes all over it and the wholes are patched up with tape? Coney Island Cyclone strikes me when I think of this. Its just easier to not deal with the padding.
DorneyDante

Postby sfnitro230 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 6:14 pm

DorneyDante wrote:This is just a suggestion, but maybe the non padding is a hygiene issue. Padding carries bacteria and germs. If someone would bleed onto open padding they would have replace the padding. Its more sterile to keep no padding.

I definately don't think it is a hygiene issue because PTC wouldn't use something that is un-hygenic and every other park with PTC trains uses the PTC padding and none of them have any problems.
sfnitro230

Postby DorneyDante » Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:18 pm

Never said it was unhygienic. I said if the filling was open and exposed to moisture, that would be unhygienic. :roll:
DorneyDante

Postby Superman: Kid of Steel » Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:44 am

When I visited two years ago, I remember Hercules being an o.k. ride. It wasn't incredibly rough, but it was really noticeable. I can't imagine what it's like now.

What I think the problem is is the total ride. From what I remember, the only good thing about the whole ride was that part before the lift hill. The drop and turnaround over the water was o.k. too. But I remember the rest of the ride was very boring. With some rough rides, the roughness is cancelled out because the rest of the ride is exciting. This isn't the case with Hercules.
Superman: Kid of Steel

Postby Seiko » Thu Aug 21, 2003 5:55 pm

I think everyone just needs to relax. It is just a ride and a good one too. If you do not beleive that you have a problem.
Seiko

Postby dptalon135 » Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:45 pm

After riding Hercules all season, I've found it to be hit or miss. Some days, it runs very, very well as far as roughness, others it can be quite painful. If they gave it some at least semi-decent padding like on Thunderhawk and took off the stupid trim, it could be a fantastic ride. The trim brake on the drop is what causes the slowness and boringness after the turn on the lake.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby Seiko » Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:39 am

What are you talking about? It is always smooth and Thunderhawk is not. You all need help...
Seiko

Postby dptalon135 » Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:25 am

Let's forget our thoughts here, and take in what the GP say. I have never heard someone get off of Thunderhawk and say "Ouch, that hurt." On Hercules, however, I hear people getting off all the time and complain. Don't get the attitude that you're right and everyone else is wrong.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby DorneyDante » Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:52 pm

I've certainly heard people get off Thunderhawk and say that its rough. For that matter, I've heard people get off both and comment on the roughness. That brings me to my next point which is the fact that they are wood, they are supposed to be rough. I think everyone is just really spoiled by all these smooth modern steel creations of today. Our tolernace for rough wooden coasters is lower due to the exposure to these steel rides. I love Thunderhawk and all but getting to the top of that 1st turnaround where it slams you up then down is very rough. Talk about hurt your kness. When I was there last weekend, I rode Hercules 4 times and rode Thunderhawk 1 time. IMO, Thunderhawk was running alot rougher than Hercules that day. Out of four rides on Hercules, the only ride that I found as rough as Thunderhawk was the 4th ride. Note that I also sat in the very back on each ride of Hercules. Having ridden Hercules during its first few years of operation, I can tell you that how rough it is today is exactly how rough it was back when it was first built. People just over-dramatize it to the point where it gets annoying and old. I'm sick of hearing about it. If you think its unbearably rough don't ride it. Can't get more simpler than that. My friend actually commented on Thunderhawk's roughness last weekend. I just can't get over the fact of how many times it slams you up and down. My gut was killing me afterwards from getting slammed into the seatbelt and the safety bar. Wood is just tempermental, you can get very different rides on both Hercules and Thunderhawk depending on when you ride them.
DorneyDante

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion