WOF's camping "Village" - Implications at Dorney?

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

WOF's camping "Village" - Implications at Dorney?

Postby MJHammer1 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:52 am

It turns out that Worlds of Fun is adding a Cottage/Cabin/RV area called the "Village" for 2005. (very Lighthouse Point at CP-ish)

The Cedar Fair execs have been very open in saying they want to add accommodations at the parks ... has anyone heard anything about this sort of thing going down at DP?

Available land is an obvious issue ... but with the dead part of the park behind laser and the land next to overflow... who knows.

Did anyone ever find out of Dorney got that 6 or so acres anyway?

Comments/thoughts anyone?

Mike
MJHammer1

Postby sfnitro230 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:59 am

I don't think that will ever happen at Dorney due to the land problem. Any extra land will probably be reserved for new rides! :D
sfnitro230

Postby geneticfreak » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:59 am

I thought the 6 acres was a done deal, and it was to be used for parking lot expansion. If that's the case, then the current double overflow lot between Laser and Steel Force could be used for park expansion, as well as some of the current lot.

Another thought would be to move the picnic pavilions back to the overflow area and use their current space for park expansion. Whatever happens, it won't happen overnight. I'm sure the park will use every inch available in it's current boundaries before using up new space, including replacing outdated, unpopular rides :wink: .
geneticfreak

rides?

Postby rwk » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:02 pm

What other rides can Dorney remove? They removed just about all the rides that were old or unpopular (like Hercules, Paratrooper, Sky Ride, Water Skooters, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Iceberg/Meteorite). What's next, Laser? Whip? Zephyr? Thunderhawk? Maybe more rides can go in the Steel Force area by the restrooms, like a flat ride. Or the fenced in area by Thunderhawk (where Journey was). Their next coaster after Hydra could go on the hill where the old parking lot is, or on the land that they bought across from DP Rd. Will they start removing rides that CF:LP added in the 90's?
rwk

Postby geneticfreak » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:53 pm

Actually, the outdated/unpopular rides was a reference to Hercules, hence the :wink: . If the rumors are true, Skyscraper would fall into this category, mainly because at full price=unpopular, less than full price=not profitable.

There's other places I can think of. The area along the upper midway between Coasters and the Wild Mouse could be the home to a flat ride. The former Paratroopers spot could also work. A little imagination is all it would take to use up existing space before spreading out. Dorney is actually rather lucky they have the land that they have. Think about some of the other parks in the chain, like Knott's, which is confined by a city block :shock: .
geneticfreak

Postby sfnitro230 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:01 pm

Yeah, the place where they have the Hummers between Coasters and Wild Mouse would make a great spot for a flat ride!
sfnitro230

Postby dannerman » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:48 pm

I disagree.. yeah, you could probably put the ride in, but keep in mind you also need queue space. Also, with CF's trend of high-thrill flats lately. With the exception of camp snoopy, all the flats are ride rating 4 or 5 since '98. (Hangtime, '98 - highest ride rating score in the park resulting in a 5, Dominator, a 200' flat :D in '99 is also a 5.. 2000 they put the Monster back in, a 4, 2002 was Meteor, a 5, and 2004 saw Revolution, a 5) In addition, all of these except for the Monster have their own electric sheds that needed to be built to house the off-ride electric wiring and computer systems.. that also takes footprint space. Add in safe clearance for riders, and that makes the Hummers space unlikely for anything but advertising, or maybe a smallish food/game stand.

One rumor I've heard floating around the park since the land acquisition is that they're going to take that land and the current overflow lot, and make a 3-5 story parking deck/garage, and use the entire current main lot as park area, using the underpass that connects the 2 lots as pedestrian-only and have the entrance somewhere around there. I heard it won't happen for a few years, but it's in the planning stages.

I think it would be great - you'd greatly reduce walking time for the latecomers (4 flights of stairs instead of 2-mile walk from behind steel force, for example). It'd be easy enough to connect midways from around the laser restrooms, and between skyscraper (if it remains.. skycoaster if not) and monster... plus, the park would be a lot less "linear".. translating into a better guest experience. I can't count how many times I've been in the park and heard guests exclaim near the laser, quite angrily, "I have to walk all the way down that way just to go all the way up to the top of the hill so I can go to my car that's 50 feet on the other side of that fence?" Or some other not-nice comment on the fact that it's a long haul with no other options. If you open up the current main lot as park area with midways, all of a sudden you have a nice park layout that's fairly easy to get from anywhere to anywhere without much wasted time. (Not to mention you'd have a perfect spot for a nice little Intamin rocket coaster like Kanonen that's going in Liseberg park in Sweeden)
http://www.rcdb.com/quicksearch.htm?quicksearch=kanonen for detail on it - even though it's relatively short and slow, I think it's going to be one of the better Intamin rocket's that will come along any time soon. (I love the zero-g that looks like it goes THROUGH the loop!)

And for those of you who say (as I used to say) that we'll never get an Intamin rocket at Dorney, remember this: our new GM (Mr. Hildebrandt) is an awesome guy (yes, I've met him and talked to him on several occasions), and he was the head of marketing behind Top Thrill Dragster in it's inaugural season (not to mention Wicked Twister and Millenium Force, which are both Intamin creations) so he has much experience with Intamin. We only need to keep it under 200' and away from the neighbors to get it passed by the township. My vote goes for an Intamin rocket in 2009. (If you notice, with the exception of '93 b/c it was right after CF acquired the park, the park has gotten a new big coaster every 4 years since Herc in 1989)
dannerman

Postby dorneygal » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:35 pm

As for accomodations at the parks...I dont think camping would do that well at Dorney...If anything I think they will add either just a hotel or maybe even an indoor waterpark resort (Apprently the poconos are getting one soon) I would say that they would get the indoor waterpark before camping but thats just me...I also think in the next few years they will be looking into the waterpark again. Not totally redoing it but adding like a vortex slide, (toliet bowl or whatever you call it), another wave pool or just updating the waterpark.

I also dont think dorney is going to remove any rides anytime in the near future. They have lots of places they can fit rides. CF is pretty creative in using the space they have.
dorneygal

Postby dannerman » Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:19 pm

I've heard rumors floating around to the effect of a "toilet-bowl" type water slide for the waterpark, but I dismissed it since they don't really have much room with the BUS/Season Pass entrance road up there. Talon kinda squishes it, and I doubt they'd demolish a very recent, very popular B&M Invert for a water slide of any type. As it is, they had to take out the IndyCars to make room for Patriot's Plunge.

My thoughts?

They're probably looking into new types of slides for the future, but I don't think we'll see it until/if the rumors of the parking lot being moved in some way to the overflow lot(s) happens, and that entrance get's moved over enough for the splashdown pool.

Those are only my thoughts, though.
dannerman

Postby UdoTch » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:19 pm

If/When they end up moving the entrances they'll probably start within the next 4 years or so. First the parking deck, then moving the season pass/bus entrance, the park entrance, WWK entrance, and start expanding out that way. In fact they'll probably do that all in one year. A smaller water park investment, and massive restruction of the parking lot and entrances will probably be pretty close to what is normally spent on improvements in one year. And that'll be the start of eliminating the L shape of the park and make it a O and make the park flow sooo much easier.
UdoTch

Postby dannerman » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:35 pm

If they really wanna go all out, another thing that just occurred to me was if they did built a part of the water park indoors, or even enclose what's already there (massive expense just with the height of the Pepsi Aquablast) or even if they enclose just what's new, they could, if they put it next to the entrance, have the indoor section open year-round. This would certainly elevate Dorney to be in contention with KBF for the #2 spot in the chain. :D

Think of the marketing angles you'd have with that - Mr. Hildebrandt would be in Heaven! You could have Christmas theming.. even have a lights-display on the Cedar Creek Cannonball (open the foods/games along that midway, and maybe the waveswinger and/or Talon, but it'd be fine if those stayed closed) Everything else would be closed off, just for safety reasons, etc. You could even have some sort of deal where the amusement park season pass will work up until Dec. 31, and would give people MORE of an incentive to buy their next year's season pass early - they can use it on the indoor waterpark.

Hmm... maybe I should talk to Mr. Hildebrandt about a job in marketing... :lol:
dannerman

Postby dptalon135 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:51 pm

Talon in Nov./Dec.? Don't count on it... Talon can't operate at temperatures that low.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby dpfan » Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:46 pm

What makes rides not able to work in the cold?
dpfan

Postby dptalon135 » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:20 pm

The low temperatures cause problems with the mechanics (machinery, not the people) of some rides. On Talon (an all roller coasters), the cold will cause things to expand, and rides will run slower, creating the danger of valleying. That's why at some parks in October you'll find weights in some seats.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Re: WOF's camping "Village" - Implications at Dorney?

Postby djw44 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:47 pm

Are these the same 6 acres that were just purchased or something different all together? Is this the current overflow lot? I could see this cabins idea working in that little minimal height zone behind Thunder Canyon. You could probably get 8 cabins back there and some steady money flow.
djw44

Next

Return to General Discussion