Golden Ticket Awards

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Golden Ticket Awards

Postby dptalon135 » Sat Aug 23, 2003 5:12 pm

Was anyone else irritated by the fact that Talon was not in the top 25 steel coasters? I really think it is a much better ride than many of the other rides on there, like the impulses, Superman: The Escape (which isn't even a freaking coaster, IMO), Big Bad Wolf, Hypersonic, Big One, Kumba, and Hulk. Having ridden both, I think Kumba and Hulk, while great rides, are way overrated. Talon deserved to be on that list.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby DorneyMan88 » Sat Aug 23, 2003 8:11 pm

Yes, I also believe that Talon should be in the top 25. Of the 4 B&M inverts I have been on (Talon, Great Bear, Batman, and Raptor) Talon was the best one IMO. It is also in my top 5 overall steel coasters. It has great forces (and varied ones at that) and keeps it's pacing. The only time I remember it being on the poll was when it made number 30 in 2001. I'm still glad that WWK made the number 3 spot for best waterpark. Great place, except for the layout (which sucks).
DorneyMan88

Postby dptalon135 » Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:50 pm

I think you are one of the first people to agree with me, that Talon is better than Raptor. I've been on tons of inverts... Great Bear, Batman, Great Nor Easter, Alpengiest, Montu, Dueling Dragons (Fire and Ice), Raptor and obviously Talon. Of all of them, I honestly enjoy Talon the most, with Montu a close second.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby DorneyMan88 » Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:55 am

Of all of the inverts that I haven't been on, it seems there are only 1-2 that look better than it. Top Gun at Carowinds looks to be an awesome ride, though I don't hear a lot about it. And the general consesus is that Dueling Dragons is one of (if not one, the best of) B&M's creations. The reason I didn't like Raptor is because there was too much headbanging (for me) for a Beemer. The cobra roll was really intense. Does the same go with Alpengeist (and it's cobra roll)? It seems the older inverts have some harsh headbanging. (Ex. Raptor - 1994, Batman, worst invert and Beemer I've been on - 1993) I hope Talon ages better.

In general, I enjoy the "Talon Category" coasters. Coasters without MCBR's and tight, compact layouts. Though Talon is on the larger side of this category with only DD and TG at Carowinds beating it. Sometimes I imgaine what Talon would have been like with an extra 500-600 feet of track and a Batwing after the s-curve. Hey, but you know what they say, don't mess with perfection!! :D

I have heard quite a number of people say that Talon should be cloned and that it very well could be. I hope that is soooooo not true!!! Talon is Dorney's and B&M's masterpiece. It deserves to be one-of-a-kind. I don't think any park (including those in the Cedar Fair Chain) deserve a Talon clone.
DorneyMan88

Postby dptalon135 » Sun Aug 24, 2003 10:23 am

I have been on both Dueling Dragons, and while they were both fun rides, and the dueling was ok, if you notice it, I found them to be over rated. The only invert I have been on that comes close to Talon is Montu. I have heard great things about Top Gun at Carowinds as well, and I'd really like to get to try it out!

I couldn't agree with you more about Talon being cloned. Imagine how much more respect Batman: The Ride it couldn't be found all over the place. Talon did so much for Dorney, and is one of the shining gems of the park. Cloning it would take that away, and just make it another standard design. Like you said, it deserves to be one-of-a-kind.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby superman_test_dummy » Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:00 am

Talon is definetly on my top ten List the line is so fast the colors blend so well and the zero-g roll is the best in existence Imo.
superman_test_dummy

Postby DorneyDante » Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:46 pm

Talon? Cloned? Bite your tongue! I certainly hope not, that is Dorney's gem. There are two people really who can clone Talon if they wanted to and thats CF and B+M. That design is the property of B+M and they have free range to do whatever the heck they want with it. I don't however see B+M cloning their rides much. The only time I really have seen them clone rides is when a park chain demands it (ala Batman @ all the Six Flags). They take alot of "inspiration" from some of their more popular rides when designing a new ride (but who wouldn't when they have created such incredible rides.) I don't really see them giving another Talon to another park because their success comes in the originality (customs) of each of their rides. CF can put Talon into another one of their parks, but I also see CF working differently than SF in terms of cloning. Haven't really seen cloning that much in CF parks. If CF was big on cloning we might have seen 3 Steel Forces when CF installed all their hypers in the mid-late nineties at their parks. Instead we got three original hypers by Morgan (Wild Thing, Mamba, and Steel Force.) CF went the extra route and had 3 customs done, says alot. Six Flags uses clones way too often I think, but they also have more parks than CF.
DorneyDante

Postby DorneyDante » Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:06 pm

Oh yeah, I disagree with Amusement Todays list also. Talon should have definately been included. There were many (not naming names) that shouldn't have been on that list. Talon is the most underrated coaster in existance.
DorneyDante

Postby sfnitro230 » Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:53 pm

I think Talon deserved a seat in the top 5 steel coasters. :D
sfnitro230

Postby dptalon135 » Sun Aug 24, 2003 4:03 pm

DorneyDante, try out the "Edit" button next time, works well :wink: .

You sound like you think that we said it should be cloned? Read the posts again, nobody here wants it to be cloned. The only people who want it cloned are those out west who are jealous :P . I don't think it will be, it is actually bigger than some suggest. Compact, yes, but it is pretty long lengthwise.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby DorneyDante » Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:28 pm

Yes, I am fond of the edit button thanx! Never said that I thought you were implying that Talon should be cloned. I was merely explaining the cloning process.
DorneyDante

Postby dptalon135 » Sun Aug 24, 2003 6:49 pm

Okay, just checking, kinda sounded like you thought otherwise :P .
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby superman_test_dummy » Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:01 pm

Superman The Escape should't even be on the list. Imo it is the MOST overrated coaster ever. The Launch completly SUCKS no G-Forces what so ever. YOu Barely even Make it half way up the tower and the Line is always so long for an over grown Kiddy-Coaster. Talon deserves that spot at least.
superman_test_dummy

Postby SROSSFNE » Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:36 pm

dptalon135 wrote:I have been on both Dueling Dragons, and while they were both fun rides, and the dueling was ok, if you notice it, I found them to be over rated. The only invert I have been on that comes close to Talon is Montu. I have heard great things about Top Gun at Carowinds as well, and I'd really like to get to try it out!

I couldn't agree with you more about Talon being cloned. Imagine how much more respect Batman: The Ride it couldn't be found all over the place. Talon did so much for Dorney, and is one of the shining gems of the park. Cloning it would take that away, and just make it another standard design. Like you said, it deserves to be one-of-a-kind.

Ya i agree none of the inverted coasters i have been on come close to talon. I have been on a few SLC's, montu, talon, B:TR, raptor, Both DD, and some impulses. NOthing comes close to talon. I skipped alpengiest, but alpengiest and top gun at carowins look liek the only ones that can come close, but montu and talon are the only ones that i have been on that come close to each other. I couldnt go on alpengiest, but i did TTD, HAHA lol!
SROSSFNE

Postby Superman: Kid of Steel » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:03 am

Heck, I thought Talon was definitely better than Steel Force.

Dorney's coasters get hurt because it's not that big of a park. If you look, there are a lot of Cedar Point coasters in the list. All the voters have been to Cedar Point. A lot may have not been to Dorney, which is likely. And, the voters might have not been to Dorney after they built Talon. Steel Force was the east coast's first hyper, and they might have gone to the park then. Now, they are missing Talon.

This is what happened to Superman: Ride of Steel at Six Flags New England the past couple of years. It always finished under MF because none of the voters had ridden it. Now that they've had a chance to go to SFNE, look what happened. Maybe the same thing will happen for Talon. :wink:
Superman: Kid of Steel

Next

Return to General Discussion