Plot of Land

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Plot of Land

Postby DorneyDante » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:33 pm

Doesn't that huge empty plot of land between Coasters Drive-In and the Wild Mouse seem fishy to you. It is a huge, manicured open piece of land. It is screaming for something to go there. Seems like an ideal place for a flat ride. Do you think something is gonna be put in their?
DorneyDante

Postby dptalon135 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:45 pm

I think something could easily be placed there... but there's no hint to make that a more probable location than anywhere around Steel Force's plaza, across from Road Rally (behind the fence), the former Paratrooper location, and the two spots on the lower midway.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby DorneyMan88 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:18 pm

Basically, next year is a guess and win a prize year. Since it seems we'll have to wait till 2005 for the next coaster, I think it's safe to call next year flat ride year. I think (or hope I should say) the park can receive a number of flats. Perhaps two biggies, like a Huss Giant which would have a great market ability, and one or two family flats. This coupled with advertising for their 120th anniversary could lead to a great year. I agree with dptalon135, there are many places in the park to put a new flat.
DorneyMan88

Postby DorneyDante » Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:09 pm

why do you say that? It could just mean they are announcing late, ya never know. <optimist>

*Note from Admin* There is no need to quote the previous post.
DorneyDante

Postby DorneyMan88 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:57 pm

I hate to burst your bubble DorneyDante (this includes mine) but if Dorney was getting a coaster for 04, we would have heard something by now. Trust me, I too have waited patiently all summer, but then I recalled how the process for Talon went. In April of 2000, they announced that a 4-inversion inverted coaster was coming to the park in 2001. Then in August, the big announcement of statistics, name, and all that good stuff came. The Dorney locals (along with the township) require Dorney to release information very very early. If Dorney was getting any kind of coaster, I'm pretty sure we would have heard something by now. But this is just my opinion. Also, I always thought most Cedar Fair parks (excluding Dragster and Knotts) liked to announce before labor day. But, hey, I could be wrong. I still think next season could be very exciting even if it means no coaster.
DorneyMan88

Postby dptalon135 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:17 pm

You never know... there is really no set time that they announce. If they end up getting something relatively small like an Impulse, I doubt that needs approval and such as early as they did for Talon. The approval and announcement probably also has to do with when they'd need to begin construction. Talon was a big ride, lots of construction. If we don't get a coaster next year, though, which we probably won't, I wouldn't mind some new flats, to further expand the park's excellent collection. Some type of pendulum ride, like a Chance/Morgan Revolution (Claw at Hersheypark) or the Huss version, either the giant or normal Frisbee would be great. What kinds of flats do you guys want to see?
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby DorneyDante » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:23 am

A floorless! lol, just jk. In terms of flat rides, what are some they could get that they don't have? I'm not too knowledgable in the flat ride area. The onlyone I can think fo that they don't have is a frisbee, claw, or pendulum.

Dante, who thinks what dorney really needs is a good looper.
DorneyDante

Postby DorneyMan88 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:33 pm

I also don't know too much about flat rides, though I can think of a few things they can get. A huss giant I think is possibly the best way to go. These have absolutely great market abililty and will be right up there with Hershey's new rocket. Of course the best would be a giant frisbee though I would like to know more about these Jump2's? Is there even one in operation? I thought there was at PCW, but I'm not sure. What is their capacity, and type of restraints/loading? Another option is a sky swatter. I just recenlty saw a video for SWAT and I must say it looks like one of the best flats. I would like to try out these new generation S&S restraints. I think about 3-4 flats would be nice. 2 thrill flats (like the 2 stated above) and possibly 1 or 2 family flats, though I know nothing about family flats. Any thoughts?
DorneyMan88

Postby DorneyDante » Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:17 am

DorneyDante wrote:A floorless!
Dante, who thinks what dorney really needs is a good looper.

I CALLED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHA! AM I GOOD OR WHAT? ONE DAY BEFORE THE ANNOUNCEMENT AND I CALLED IT. IS THIS WHERE I DO THE NAH NAH TOLD YOU SO. ON ANOTHER NOTE, I AM VERY SAD TO SEE HERCULES GO, HE WILL BE MISSED (WELL BY ME ANYWAYS).
DorneyDante

Postby rwk » Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:23 pm

You know what they should add to the park? THIS http://www.sallycorp.com/darkrides/Ghost%20Blasters.htm I really miss the dark rides at Dorney Park. Everytime I go past that fence across from Road Rally I think of those sob's Cedar Fair and what they did to Journey to the Center of the Earth, because that is where it was, the lift hill was on that plot of land. Halloweekends is great but it's only in October. Dorney needs a scary ride in the summer. The other two dark rides were Iceberg/Meteorite, enclosed spinning cups ride removed 94 for Patio Pizza, and Bucket O' Blood, pretzel dark ride just up the hill from the Iceberg, burned down in carousel fire Sept. 1983. It was located in the spot where the Musik Express and Games are, those were built in 84 along with Enterprise and Apollo 2000. So, Dorney hasn't had a traditional, two-seater carts on electric track with bang doors type of dark ride for 20 years. Ghost Blasters would be the perfect replacement. There's an old dark ride at Bushkill Park in Easton PA that is near Palmer Park Mall it's simply known as the Haunted Pretzel. (It is being renovated for 2004 since last winter the roof caved in with the heavy snows) I rode it several times. Here is pic http://www.coasterimage.com/bkp/bkp15.htm
rwk

Postby DorneyDante » Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:01 pm

Man o Man you love your dark rides! :lol: i wonder why some dark rides are called "the pretzel?" Does it really have something to do with a pretzal?
DorneyDante

Postby chewy7719 » Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:09 pm

Actually, They're called "The Pretzel" because the type of cars they use are called Pretzel Cars. Most of the classic dark rides, like the Haunted Mansion at Knoebels, use Pretzel Cars.
chewy7719

Postby dptalon135 » Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:29 pm

I believe that they were made by a company called Pretzel, just as we know PTC trains and such today.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby rwk » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:42 pm

You are correct. There was a Pretzel Dark Ride Company in NJ in Bridgeton but it closed in 1979. http://www.laffinthedark.com has an interview with William Cassidy, the former owner of Pretzel. That company built a Pretzel dark ride at Dorney Park in the 1930's and it went under different names first simply the Pretzel, then Devil's Cave until 1962, then a dark ride artist Bill Tracy from Cape May, NJ came in and rethemed it to Pirate's Cove. It was retitled Bucket O' Blood in 1975, and operated for 9 more years until September 18, 1983 which was it's final day of operation, then on Wednesday, September 28, 1983 at 2 pm fire broke out in the park. It started in a Mexican food stand in front of the carousel, which would have been at the Dominator entrance area. The Dominator is where the old carousel was. The park layout was changed in that area in 1984 so it's hard to pinpoint the exact location of a former ride. I have park maps/brochures though from 70's and 80's. The following things were destroyed by the fire: Le Grande Carrousel, built by PTC and moved to Dorney Park from Wilmington, DE in 1932, Skee Ball building, behind the carousel across from the current one where the gift shop is below the Sea Dragon, Flying Bobs ride located near the Whip on the Dominator side, Bucket O' Blood dark ride, located between the Tilt-A-Whirl and Sea Dragon, with front facing Tilt-A-Whirl. Current location of Musik Express and Games, added in 1984. The problem in 1983 was that Pretzel Company was defunct, closed in 1979, and Bill Tracy was dead, died 1973 I think, and the Bucket O' Blood building was completely destroyed, I have newspaper photo of the burned dark ride building, so building a new dark ride for 1984 was impossible, so the only choice was to put in a non-dark ride like a thrill ride, so in went the Musik Express. Most of you here are under 25 so you mostly grew up with the "new" park, post-1983, not the "old" park while Bob Ott was in charge. I'm 29 so I remember the park from that time. Bob Ott sold the park 84. Harris Weinstein became new owner 85. Wildwater Kingdom opened 85. Castle Garden dance hall/skating rink burned down in 85 was located where go-karts by Thunder Creek Mountain are now. The Gold Mine walkthrough under the arcade in the house closed in 86, and so did the Zoorama, because the Laser went in there. The racetrack (located where Thunder Canyon area is now) closed 87. Chester Cheetah Playland and second Zephyr station added 1991. Removed 2000. I'd say that 1984 was the first year Dorney Park started changing from it's traditional form, then again in the 90's with all of Cedar Fair's remodelings. The park was relatively the same from the 60's until the 80's. Oh, and in March 86 I lost my father, he was hit by a car walking at night, he was a Bethlehem Steel worker. Check out this map of the park from the 70's. http://www.themeparkbrochures.com/maps/ ... 97x_1.html
rwk

Postby BigDorneyFan » Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:59 am

I know this is a little off topic but I am 37 years old and have been going to Dorney since birth. I remember from 1972 on. I was lookng at that picture of the brochure and remember the UFO ride. I have mentioned it to friends of mine and no one seems to believe me that it had existed. Does anyone remember the type/manufacturer of that ride? I was young but remember really enjoying it.
BigDorneyFan

Next

Return to General Discussion