Hercules is no more

General talk about Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom including the latest news and rumors.

Moderator: dptalon135

Hercules is no more

Postby dptalon135 » Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:26 pm

What does everyone think about the latest news? I think once the floorless is in, I won't miss Hercules, but having the plot empty all next summer is gonna hurt... I hope they add another woodie eventually as well, or at least give Thunderhawk all the attention it needs to be truely top notch. I wish they would have said something earlier though, so people could have gotten their final rides.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby DorneyDante » Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:13 pm

uh, ya. Why did they announce this so late! I, being one who actually liked the coaster would have liked to get a final ride in or so. TRIM FREE FINAL RIDE WOULDA BEEN FUUUUUUUUN! I woulda settled for that. To have Dorney's only record breaking coaster ever torn down for a mediocre sized floorless smaller than medusa frankly p*sses me off.

Edit-ya, so I can't spell (especially when Im mad)
DorneyDante

Postby DEVILDAN2000 » Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:04 pm

NOO!!! lol i loved seeing hercules's name on the Record holders list. Hercules didn't deserve to go, the have too much good damn land that they can use. Why get rid of hercules ill never know. I say, stage a protest!
DEVILDAN2000

Postby DorneyDante » Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:27 pm

DorneyDante

Postby sfnitro230 » Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:31 pm

I didn't expect this and it saddens me. :cry:
sfnitro230

Postby RCTForce » Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:09 pm

I am very disappointed by this news. I loved the ride, and will truely miss it. I don't understand why the millions they spent on doing repairs could not have been better spent on reprofiling the ride and truely making it world class.

I am sure I will enjoy the floorless, but I expeced more from Dorney.
RCTForce

Postby DorneyDante » Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:26 pm

it confuses me to
DorneyDante

Postby HighSpeedThrillCoaster » Sat Sep 06, 2003 3:30 pm

I have watched Cedar Fair take away everything that was Dorney. I just wonder what will be next. There isn't much of pre CF left . I predict that in 10 years there will be nothing Dorney remaining. I have been going to the park for many years, but I think I'll take next season off :(
HighSpeedThrillCoaster

Postby DorneyDante » Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:54 pm

I couldn't agree with you more and just posted something similar in thought on Coasterbuzz. The original Dorney rides are becoming fewer and fewer, which really saddens me. I understand change and evolution is necessary, but something about these changes and improvements just doesn't sit right w/ me. The soul of the park is really dying ,if not completely dead already.
DorneyDante

Postby rwk » Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:58 pm

The only original ride left that is close to its original form is the Whip. Other than repaints over the years, it's still the same ride it was back in 1920. Look at the floor, the wood looks very old. The Zephyr train and Thunderhawk have been altered, both have rebuilt stations, part of the Zephyr tracks were moved to make room for the wider midway going toward Laser. Thunderhawk no longer has the tunnel. Here are pictures of the Zephyr before 2000 when it had the original route. http://www.trainweb.org/parktrains/gallery/zephyr4.JPG and http://www.trainweb.org/parktrains/gallery/zephyr5.JPG Note the Sky Ride in the first pic. Why was that taken out? I liked that ride since I was 5. In it's old configuration the Zephyr had 2 crossings at the station, one before the station and one after, with flashing lights and bells, but no gates. Cedar Creek Cannonball always had gates, the Zephyr had gates at the other end where Chester Cheetah's Playland was, the train used to stop there for about 10 years, before that in the 80's the Zephyr was a round trip like now. There used to be a tunnel where it goes by the Laser, the tunnel was removed when Laser went in. Were the gates added to the new Zephyr crossing for safety reasons? Now they have yellow lines at all train crossings and when the train is coming they announce for everyone to stay behind the yellow line. Here is a really neat old photo of the Thunderhawk when the Journey mill chute was there http://www.alexsplace.com/Postcards/Dor ... ark-03.htm
rwk

Postby DorneyDante » Thu Oct 02, 2003 7:38 pm

rwk, when that pic was taken (the last one) it was still the mill chute right? It wasn't transformed into Journey to the Center of the Earth yet.

Also, do you have the dates when those 2 pics of the Zephyr were taken? My guess would be the mid nineties (95-96).
DorneyDante

Return to General Discussion