10/21/07

Share the experiences of your latest trip to Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom

Moderator: dptalon135

10/21/07

Postby dorneydude » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:53 am

We arrived at the park at 3pm. We drove in thru ticket booth, there was no line. We showed our season pass and pulled up to old season pass lot to park. Immediately we went to get our jacket vouchers and 4 free one day passes good the rest of this season. We did not need the passes since we already have 07 passes but it was nice that they still us the 4 tickets anyway. In fact we brought my daughters’ friend and she used one of the passes.

The park was sort of dead at 3pm but was getting crowded by 4pm. It was actually nice and warm.

We met up with another couple, their kids, my brother-in-law and his kid.

Went to swings first. The dude opened the gate for us even thought he was already checking the seats. Thanks! While on that, the couple we meeting were already in line for the mouse. The line looked short and they were off by the time we exited the swing…not sure how long they waited though…you know how that goes.

We took the kiddies down to trick or treat. I never noticed the flumes and such drained of there water while the park was still open before. Anyway, we had a 5 minute wait while there was a shift change. The kids went through. They gave out PEEP kits to decorate your own pumpkin at the end. That was nice tpuch! No Jolley Joes though; Boo! Weather was beautiful…we are in shorts!

We left there, some went down to Talon while we hit the train. Again, it was getting ready to go but the dude waved us in. Thanks! We had a nice ride but the trip is likely better in the dark. The girl reading the script left a lot to be desired. I hope it was a hand written hard to read dialog, I’d hate to think someone that age had that much trouble reading!

We left the train and went over to Talon only to find they had already ridden and were on that crazy thing that tumbles you around…I can’t even look at the thing without getting sick. I took a ride on Talon with one of the kids. It was a one train wait. Nice ride, very smooth, not jerky like Hydra.

We left there for Hydra which had a longish line so we the kids hit METEOR instead. Personally, I did not miss the Hydra experience, other than the barrel roll, its like a bad talon wannbe….just my opinion though. The kids pretty much got right on METEOR.

I have to admit they did a real nice job decorating the park this year. They do not seam to have the characters walking around, they seem to hang out at that picture spot . Pictures are a reasonable $5 though. One thing upsets me though. The always advertise Snoopy dressed up. I have never seen him once in his Halloween costume….or even in the park on Halloweekends. Is it really that much trouble? I mean it’s usually not even hot this time of year! My guess is that tv ad is from some other camp snoopy or an old ad prior to when they shipped the camp snoopy stuff here years ago. Maybe from whatever other park the stuff came from. It was not new stuff right? By the way, they did give the inflatable snoopy a bath this year…he was looking dingy last year.

Left there, regrouped with everyone and headed towards Dominator stopping at the balloons along the way; again the kids got right on.

Left again for Dominator but got side tracked again. We split in two, some going to Enterprise (which was actually running and very clean looking this year; new paint job?) while we went to Music Express and the Apollo. We got right on Music Express and had a one ride wait for Apollo. Did I mention how beautiful the weather was?

We regrouped again and headed for Dominator again. We split again, I took some kids to the red Dominator and others hit the bumper cars and watched the end of the show. There was about a 10 minute wait for Domiator. By the way, the Halloween show is excellent this year…except for the Magic interlude. There was a fantastic 25 minute or so magic act LAST year, in fact I think it was a show of ots own. This year’s is an interlude in the Halloween musical they run. The interlude is about 10 minutes long and leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe the dude is doing it for free since he hawks a magic kit you can buy at the end for $7. To me this makes DP look really cheap! I also noticed one of the singers apparently changed his name. I think he was known as Samboola or something a few weeks ago. Still its a GREAT show. Did I mention how nice the weather was?

We regrouped and started to head towards Steel Force. It was now around 5:30pm and the kids were getting hungry. Personally I like the fries over by the music show and dining outside the park. Before I knew it though, part of our group were getting a nuggets platter up by where the are prepping for VooDoo. Well we got there to find one of the kids already attempting to eat some sort of brown rock shaped things. I busted one open and could find no chicken. My brother in law was a bit shy about complaining but not my wife. She complained about the over cooked rock like chicken nuggets. Some dude in the kitchen area was shaking his head. Thank god we were the only ones on line because I think threw all the nuggets out and started over. Then there was a shift change. All I know is we waited forever but somehow ended up with 3 free platters. I’m not sure why or how but we took them. These we much better that the first set of rocks. You could chew them at least but man were they dry. Absolute garbage but at least edible. I can see why people smuggle in McDs intot he park. Day old McDs would have tasted better than that crap.

Ok, so now it’s getting chilly, maybe its 6pm. Went up to Steel Force and man the line was long; down the stairs in fact. The kids did Revolution instead. There was a 2 ride wait and then all but 2 of our kids got on. They held the line up at our last two kids even though there were two empty seats! Maybe they though they would want to sit together. I just knew I was getting cold! We had to stay another turn; Booo; that ride must have a low hourly capacity---at least it was working I guess.

While waiting for the last two kids to get their ride the rest hit Steel Force which now had no line! Weird how things change in 15 minutes. Of course when the two got off Revolution I had to take them to the Force too. I though all 3 trains were going but only two were. They must have packed away the black train for the winter since I did not see it off to the side. Anyway, we had a 2 train wait but it was a Great ride and a great way to end the season. (Unless we have warm weather next week!)

Now its 7pm and officially chilly. The park did not seam to have any of the foggers going this year. Nor were the big skull eyes lit near the Fright Zone entrance…maybe they never were. The apark seemed much more festive in the daylight; very colorful this year. Alas it was time to go. Stopped at Boo Hill – twice…no line. Headed up the hill. The kids wanted to run to the mouse but I knew better and said the line was long. Out we went. Just about a perfect 5 hour excursion.
dorneydude

Postby dorneydude » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:57 am

Oh yeah, Yoshi mentioned Thunderhawk being fully open. Wll bY 7:15 or so when we were leaving, I again noticed the middle section closed. I just shook my head and moved along; we were on our way out anyway.
dorneydude

Postby Yoshi » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:14 am

I guess once the crowds died down, they closed off some rows. I got to Dominator after my 2nd Thunderhawk ride at around 7:15, so they must have closed off some rows literally a few minutes after I got off the ride which is strange since it was still dispatching with full trains at that time.
Yoshi

Postby dorneydude » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:20 pm

No, I think some sort of weird bad luck follows me whenever I pass by the ole girl.
dorneydude

Postby jeffpiatt » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:18 pm

actually there are 3 shows this year. the monster bash music show, the magic show and the combined magical monster bash.
jeffpiatt

Postby dorneydude » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:58 am

I thought I saw that...must have missed the magic only show...wonder if it is as good as last year?
dorneydude

Postby jeffpiatt » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:40 pm

its the same has the magic segments during the show you saw. just not split in to act's between the music segments.
jeffpiatt

Postby dorneydude » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:05 am

then I go back to my original review.....Booooooo!
dorneydude

Postby dannerman » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:45 pm

The reason the fog machines weren't going and the lights weren't lit for the skull at the beginning of the frightzone is because you went on a Sunday - the park is only open until 8pm, so all the outdoor haunted stuff (like the Cedar Creek Cannonball, Frightzone, etc.) doesn't open up.
dannerman

Postby dorneydude » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:01 am

I was not aware of that. It gets dark by 6:30...you'd think they could afford to turn it on! I guess I should try to get there Saturday night.
dorneydude

Return to Trip Reports