10/28/07 Closing Day

Share the experiences of your latest trip to Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom

Moderator: dptalon135

10/28/07 Closing Day

Postby Yoshi » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:39 pm

Pulling into the lot for the last time this season, it was kind of sad knowing it would be the last time riding coasters for 6 months. My sister, also a season pass holder, joined me for closing day
It was very empty at opening, there couldn't have been more than 200 cars. The first place we went to was Magical House on Boo Hill which is the first time since Talon was built that I didn't go to Talon first. This was my first trip into the house as it appears the houses really aren't designed for people visiting the park by themselves (not as fun). The mirrored walkway and hallway with color borders was cool and I liked all the blacklights and the crinkly floor with the clowns was also neat. The Polka Dot room was also cool. I'm glad I saw what the house was like but once a year is enough for me.

Dominator had 5 people in line so I took advantage of the opportunity and rode Turbo Drop for the last time.

We went to the Whip next and as always it was a fun ride.

Next was Subway for lunch, only one side open not that it was needed but the Diet Pepsi was broken so no combo sale for me.

Krazy Kars was empty, we were the only 2 people on the ride and no one else was waiting in line after we exited.

We went to Thunderhawk next, 1 train running, the 3rd car was chained off not that it was needed. By the time my train got back into the station, the entire back half was chained off. I realize why they do this now. Waiting for the ops to buckle belts on a half empty train takes a little bit of time. However, later on, while riding Steel Force I saw the line had gotten longer and all rows were open on Thunderhawk so if they operate like that, then it won't be a big deal.

Road Rally only had 5 cars running but only 2 ops but with maybe 5 people in line, the wait was maybe 3 minutes.

We went to Steel Force next, only 1 train running but it was only a 2 train wait. I remember last year on closing day the wind was so bad all coasters but Laser and Steel Force were closed most of the day and Steel Force had a 45 minute wait with 1 train running (later on it went down to 10 minutes).

Laser was a 1 train wait, you could really see the Skyscraper blue and red "spirals" torn up from the queue.

Hydra was running 2 trains, 1 train wait for the back.

Cedar Creek Cannonball was next. It was a 1 train wait but the line was over 10 minutes because it took a while to load each car. The line was overflowing onto the midway while we were in line probably because people thought it was a haunted train ride. They should really take down the Scary and Wild description or cover it up during the day as you had kids scared to enter the line and people dissapointed exiting the ride when they realized it was just a normal train ride with some Halloween props.

Final ride of the day and season was Talon. 1 train wait for the front. Awesome way to finish the season.

Wild Mouse was skipped as it appeared to be 30+ minutes. The park was getting a little more crowded when we left at around 3:00 but I'm sure lines were still minimal.

Overall, it was a great 20 trips this season with little to no lines all season long and opening day 2008 can't come soon enough.

Ride Count:
Magical House on Boo Hill, 1x
Dominator Green, 1x
Whip, 1x
Krazy Kars, 1x
Thunderhawk, 1x
Road Rally, 1x
Steel Force, 1x
Laser, 1x
Hydra, 1x
Cedar Creek Cannonball, 1x
Talon, 1x
Yoshi

Postby jeffpiatt » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:40 pm

there is an sign held by an "zombie" mentioning that the live show starts at 7:00 or it needs two signs.
jeffpiatt

Postby dorneydude » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:12 am

why not get those auto-retraction belts on Thunderhawk like Steel Force has.
dorneydude

Postby alfundo » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:53 pm

So rather than take the time to do their jobs properly they just close half the coaster?
alfundo

Postby jeffpiatt » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:40 pm

they also have to keep it efficient. and i don't think ptc makes those kind of trains for a wood coaster.
jeffpiatt

Postby dptalon135 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:55 pm

The '06 team and I had no problem keeping Thunderhawk efficient with the whole train open, or running two trains with all seats open.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby dorneydude » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:43 am

Ahh a solution...you need to go work there again next year!
dorneydude

Postby MozzMarr86 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:53 pm

hahahaha Yeah dptalon135! How 'bout that idea?!
MozzMarr86

Return to Trip Reports