July 1st, Evening

Share the experiences of your latest trip to Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom

Moderator: dptalon135

July 1st, Evening

Postby dorneydude » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:08 am

I popped into the park at 5:30 with my daughter. I got a spot right up front..WOW! We proceeded right through the pass holder gate with no wait. For the first time the dude actually looked at our pictures and appeared to compare them to what popped up on his screen. I can say the picture that pops up on screen looks just as bad as the one on our passes but he did look!

We proceeded to the Yo Yo swings, no wait. Then it was down to the log flume. We passed the ol’e time photo shop and stopped in , a bit too pricey for us. I DID find my Turkey leg stand right outside though. It was closed. I never found that sucker open all last year and now closed again this year!. Do they just park it throughout the park to make it look like they offer turkey legs? Has anyone ever seen a turkey leg sold! Darn! Anyway, I hesitant was to get on the log flume because while it was a beautiful evening it was not real hot and I did not want to get soaked—which is usually my luck. There was almost no line at the flume but as usual only one side was open and we still waited at least 10 minutes. I have no idea if we lucked out or not but only my shirt sleeves go real wet. Usually most of my shirt and pants get wet. We did sit front instead of back if that makes a difference. Great ride though; a favorite of my daughter’s. The ride op was friendly and said something before each log launched but no one could figure out what he was saying…it was funny trying to guess. Perhaps he was foreign.

Next up were the bumper cars, we had a one turn wait. I like these, fun for the kids but not too dangerous.

Next up was Thunderhawk. We had a two train wait but at least they were filling the entire train this year and not leaving the middle empty. Only one train was running and likely only one warranted. We sat towards the back for the first time this year. It was noticeably less *crazy* back there, less punishing but also less fun. I wish it would not brake and stop so abruptly at the end.

Next up the Road Ralley, a favorite of my daughter. Oooops, had to skip that one, long line and what looked to be a lousy 4 cars going. This is always the way it is…a shame..I really should complain on the way out some day.

Next Steel Force. We were a little apprehensive since upon approach we saw a line part way down the steps. Fortunately the line did not disperse through the side ques but rather was only down the steps. Further there was actually a security guard (I finally saw one!) here managing the small line preventing everyone from just walking thru the turnstiles to the ride. Not sure why they needed him here. It turned out the line was actually not as long as it appeared since he was only letting about two trains worth of people through the turnstiles at a time. Still we had a long-ish wait. First train up the hill stops. The attendant climbs up. I figured some dope had a camera out. A few minutes later the train was on its way. Now all the timing was screwed up though. At least thru our turn, (maybe 4 trains), both trains ended up at he station at the same time. We also heard the attendant that climbed up when the train stopped saying to another that someone had tried to sit in front of someone else and she could not believe it. I have no idea what she meant. Everyone was all smiles when that train returned though…I have no idea what happened but it messed the timing up and caused us to have wait extra long. Personally I’d have loved to see a security team called over to remove whomever caused the train to stop from the park….assuming it was a serious offense….that’s another forum discussion though. Anyway, we sat towards the rear of Steel Force. It was not a great there, bumpy, shaky and not much air time. Oh well, its usually great and will better next time.

Went too the Laser next. I hate this ride—well maybe not hate. My daughter loves it. There is something about climbing that hill and there being no real sides to the trains that just disturbs me. Once headed down the hill I have to admit it’s a pretty good ride, albeit a quick one. It is apin to exit too but I will be sad to see it go I guess. Personally the ride condition (paint-wise) is a HUGE embarrassment, especially situated near the shiny new VooDoo. Peeling paint, faded paint, rust…YUK. A sad ending to a unique ride. On eothe rting. Were those seat belts always one there? Good Greif. You know VooDoo came and went 3 times while we waited for one turn on the Laser.

Next Road Ralley. Nope! See comment above, they still apply.

Next we meet my wife, son and he sister, husband and their kids at the Tilt-A-Whirl. I agree to take the kids. This is another ride I am not too fond of because of spinning. It was a decent ride though until the end. It was almost stopped and we spun and spun and spun…I swear the ride op some how did that on purpose. The kids enjoyed it though.

Next down the flume I again. I sat this one out and wandered to feed the ducks / fish with some of the kids.

Next up my brother in law cashes in his *buy one get one free* for the go carts and takes my son for a ride. This made for a hilarious highlight for our trip. There was no real line and only four cars went out. Well, my brother-in-law’s car was sputtering before he even left the gate. For every lap he did my son (and the others) did at least 2. When he went by it reminded me of an old man on a sputtering tractor slowly chugging by. He was pi$$ed too..kept throwing his arms up etc etc. One lap was signaled and everyone pitted and a bit later he came sputtering in. He was content to just leave but I suggested he deserved another ride….I mean it IS $6.50! I mentioned this to the attendant (red shirt) who then had a manager (?) nicer purplish shirt pop over and tell me ‘this IS a ride not a race!’ We all busted out laughing because his car moved so slow. I said for $6.50 I would expect my car to go at least as fast as the others and if they were able to get in six laps I should get more than 3. He said all cars were timed at 10am that morning and were in good order. By then my brother in law had walked away and the manager (?) politely said he’d check the car out. We shouted to folks to avoid the black voodoo # 6 car as we walked back to the bumper cars.

Well the kids wanted to wait for the bumper cars and there was a line so I strolled back to the go carts. Another batch of cars was just wrapping up. Slow #6 was not in this batch…it appears they alternate groups of cars between 2 existing sets after each race. But, VooDoo #6 was coming up again. To his credit the manager (?) did get into the Voodoo car and take it around the track for a lap. I waited and waited and waited. The car finally came lumbering in. The funny thing was he I had returned and I expected him to point me over to the counter to get $6.5 back or another ticket but instead said he admitted the car was indeed slower than the others but not slow enough to warrant taking it off the track. I laughed again. He offered to get a supervisor if I really wanted a refund. Well, it wasn’t my $$$ that paid for it or I would have but my brother in law was gone so I just said to forget it. I wanted to stick around to see if they actually left the car on the track or if anyone else complained but my party was now moving on.

It was now after 9pm and everyone was hungry. We momentarily has thoughts of the Snoopy Joe Cool buffet (likely out of desperation hunger) To be honest the set up was no where near appealing enough to get us in and simply too expensive. Maybe they should get Snoopy out there hawking the burgers or something! We ended up at Wendy’s.

All in all a beautiful night at the park with little wait times and lots of fun. I wished we had gotten there a little earlier to hit some more flats.
---the ORIGINAL DorneyDude
dorneydude

Re: July 1st, Evening

Postby phillydude » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:25 pm

Wow... I don't think we overlapped but one ride yesterday!

Couple things... Laser was running? Around what time? We didn't spend a LOT of time down at that end of the park, but in the time I spent waiting for VooDoo and riding Monster, I didn't see a single train go up the lift... and this was between 4pm and 5pm. I can't say I recalled seeing a train on there at 8pm either, but to be honest, I didn't look too far (we were on Thunderhawk and Scrambler).

I had completely forgotten that there are bumper cars down there near the log flume. We don't ride the flumes, so never get down that way. IIRC, these are gas powered Crazy Cars, correct (not the traditional electic bumper cars)? We'll have to wander down and check it out next time.

Finally, the Joe Cool BBQ is only open from 4-5:30pm. In fact, they came around at 5:25 and told us they were pulling the food at 5:30, which they promptly did. As I have mentioned, it would be worth $7.50 or so, but not the $12.50 they are charging.
How would you feel if you had a plate of fresh hand-cut french fries and wanted ketchup but instead I threw a dog turd on top of them and said, "It's better than nothing?" - modernphoenixv2

People have to eat. - Dick Kinzel
phillydude

Postby dorneydude » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:31 pm

Re:
Couple things... Laser was running? Around what time? We didn't spend a LOT of time down at that end of the park, but in the time I spent waiting for VooDoo and riding Monster,

I'd say it was about 7:30 or 8pm or so. The ops were moving slow and it took us about 20 minutes with only a one train wait. It did provide god views of VooDoo...which we saw go by several times. My daughter in not tall enough for that yet and I did not back to get on with my son so I have still not experienced it. The way it shakes it quite erie though!

Re:
I had completely forgotten that there are bumper cars down there near the log flume. We don't ride the flumes, so never get down that way. IIRC, these are gas powered Crazy Cars, correct (not the traditional electic bumper cars)? We'll have to wander down and check it out next time.

No traditional bumper cars (bump till it hurts) at DP...I am told they used to have those at Bushkill park though. These are the inflated tube bumper cars that I believe some parks run in the water, in fact I think they use a few in the lagoon where the Swan Pedal boats sometimes get stuck and have to be pulled out. (Like last night!) (Accross from the pay as you go go-carts)

Re:
Finally, the Joe Cool BBQ is only open from 4-5:30pm. In fact, they came around at 5:25 and told us they were pulling the food at 5:30, which they promptly did. As I have mentioned, it would be worth $7.50 or so, but not the $12.50 they are charging.

Well that explains the low attendance! It was late and the folks in there were likely cleaning up I guess. We sort of quickly read the sign, looked in, looked at each other and said lets meet at Wendy's. $7.5 sounds about right. I can not see the value at $12.50 unless the peanuts gang is eating with the kids...ala Disney World.

PS:
I do not know how you can stand to wait for that Moster ride. Were there 2 ride ops? Even then it has to be one of the slowest darn rides ever!
dorneydude

Postby Yoshi » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:57 pm

I agree 100% about Road Rally. 2 weeks ago my sister and her friend waited close to 15 minutes and they said only 3 cars were on the track and they added a 4th one while they were in line. This was a day when the park was dead. Every time I have seen Road Rally this year it has only run 4 cars at the most.
Yoshi

Postby dorneydude » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:10 pm

I think its because:

1) Its a tougher more tiring job there and the ops likely are understaffed and get tired in the heat.

2) Its easier to maintain 4 cars than 6 or 8.

3) Gas costs a fortune.

They really should convert them electric like some other parks.
dorneydude

Postby phillydude » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:31 pm

dorneydude wrote:I do not know how you can stand to wait for that Moster ride. Were there 2 ride ops? Even then it has to be one of the slowest darn rides ever!

There was not only two ride ops, but the past few times there has also been a supervisor there as well (not that the super was actually helping to load the ride). A lot of the time I will leave the kids there to wait in line, go over and ride VooDoo (since my youngest is not tall enough and my older is not too enamored with it), and come back as they are just getting off Monster.
How would you feel if you had a plate of fresh hand-cut french fries and wanted ketchup but instead I threw a dog turd on top of them and said, "It's better than nothing?" - modernphoenixv2

People have to eat. - Dick Kinzel
phillydude

Return to Trip Reports