8/21/08 - Sister In Law

Share the experiences of your latest trip to Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom

Moderator: dptalon135

8/21/08 - Sister In Law

Postby phillydude » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:14 am

Got to the park at 10:30, lot was fairly empty, parked first row in front of the picnic tent. Sister in law had to buy a ticket (used a discount pass from Subway which was conveniently lying there at the ticket window) so we saved seven bucks or something. Dropped our stuff on a chair (in the shade, no less) at WWCove and got right into line for Aquablast. It was fairly short when we got on, but it was down to the ground when we got off... I can't figure out the attraction of that ride... it's good and all, but not something I'd wait more than five minutes for. Rode Cascade (first time for me this year... yawn) and Riptide Run and got out of WWK before the crowds settled in. SIL grabbed lunch for all of us at Just Tacos in the park while older son and I rode Hydra. Another thing I don't get... why does everyone bitch that it's so rough? I don't find that to be the case at all...

Anyway, jumped on a bunch of the midway rides (Tilt-a-Whirl, Apollo, Music Express), and then the SIL took the younger son over to the Snoopy Bounce (which he wanted to try all year) while the older son and I rode Enterprise (which we had wanted to try all year). A quick trip to the bumper-car-thingys and we headed back to WWK because the kids were getting hot. A cycle in WWCover fixed that right up, and we did some souvenir shopping and bought fudge apples covered in M&M's on the way back down towards Lazer. I don't know how we managed to skip Monster this time, but we all went on Lazer (SIL's first time, younger son's second time). Voodoo was not running when we got down there (go figure) but it was online when we came off Lazer, but no one wanted to ride it with me.

My older son REALLY has been bugging me to go on Steel Force. I'm not keen on heights, however, and having seen the frequency of lift-hill stops on SF, I REALLY did not want to go on it. But if we were going to go, today had to be the day, so I found myself in the queue, trying to negotiate my way out of it. No luck, and we were off... the whole time I'm thinking "Please... no one better pull out a camera phone...". For the first half of the lift hill, I stared at my shoes... and then once we got up above tree level, I was able to look up and focus on counting the lights on the right side of the walkway until we got to the top. Once over the hill it was fine, and I really liked the helix at the turnaround point. So I've got that done... and to be honest, I could go back on it again now that I've done it once.

Voodoo was offline again when we came back across the bridge (go figure) so we started to make our way up to the Joe Cool BBQ. I posted in another thread about what a value this is... I certainly ate more than $12.50 worth of food, and the kids and SIL were happy with everything. Being so close to park closing, we stopped back in WWK to pick up our stuff, and while both the SIL and I didn't want to get wet again, the kids took one turn down Patriot's Plunge since this would be our last visit to WWK for the season. The arcade was next, and the younger son showed his complete mastery of the coin-drop games, winning over 700 tickets with only two tokens. We're going to cash in all of our tickets from the year during the Haunt in October. The obligatory ride on Talon as we left, and we completed the day by 6:30.
How would you feel if you had a plate of fresh hand-cut french fries and wanted ketchup but instead I threw a dog turd on top of them and said, "It's better than nothing?" - modernphoenixv2

People have to eat. - Dick Kinzel
phillydude

Re: 8/21/08 - Sister In Law

Postby MozzMarr86 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:45 am

Hydra wasn't rough? Which Hydra were you riding?
MozzMarr86

Postby Yoshi » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:58 am

You aren't going to be able to redeem the tickets in October, the arcade closes after Labor Day since they use it for Dr. of Doom. It's a shame since I would have had enough tickets for the slot machine last year (25,000) if I had a few more chances to get to the arcade. Now there are no good large prizes, except Rockband for 75,000 which is impossible and I have around 20,000 tickets sitting unused. I was going to get the remote controlled go kart Yoshi they had for 2000 tickets but they are gone. I am hoping next year there is something good to redeem them for.

I find Hydra rough in the cobra roll but only compared to other B&M coasters which are generally smooth. I mean it isn't nearly as rough as some other steel coasters like most boomerangs or an SLC.

I agree about Aquablast, it's a fun ride but it always seems to have a crazy line. In June we went to it first thing in the morning and got a walk on and 30 minutes later it was almost a full queue despite the park being dead (walk ons for almost everything else). I really would like to see another family slide with the same type of rafts used to help keep the line down. Maybe one with a lot of drops like at Aquatica since they have 2 family raft slides.
Yoshi

Postby phillydude » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:55 am

MozzMarr86 wrote:Hydra wasn't rough? Which Hydra were you riding?

I dunno... I guess it's the big green one that's where Hercules used to be. :lol:

Seriously though... I would much rather ride Hydra ten times in a row than ride Thunderhawk once. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges (or in this case, wood to steel) but from a comfort perspective, I don't notice a lot of difference between Hydra and Talon. Maybe it's just me.

Yoshi, thanks for the tip on the arcades. Are the slips printed out of the ticket counter machines good from year to year, or are they just valid for that particular season?
How would you feel if you had a plate of fresh hand-cut french fries and wanted ketchup but instead I threw a dog turd on top of them and said, "It's better than nothing?" - modernphoenixv2

People have to eat. - Dick Kinzel
phillydude

Postby MozzMarr86 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:46 am

I think it's just you. Everyone else I've talked to about that ride agrees with how unnecessarily rough it is, especially for a B&M. I go on Thunderhawk expecting a rough ride. I shouldn't have to do the same on Hydra.
MozzMarr86

Postby Yoshi » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:49 am

The arcade vouchers are good from year to year. The only thing I am worried about is them starting to fade considering some I have were printed in May 2007. If it starts to get unreadable in the offseason I am going to e-mail the park and ask what to do. I kind of wish they would use paper vouchers rather than the thermal type paper to avoid that issue.
Yoshi

Postby MJHammer1 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:50 pm

^ That would stink - that thermal paper seems to fade in a matter of months with some receipts I have had. I'd like to think the park will accommodate you somehow. I can only imagine how much cash those tickets represent! :P

I don't think that Hydra is really that rough.. it just has that B&M rattle that some of the newer rides deal with. It's still a smooth ride as far as forces go, IMO anyway.

Mike
Amusement Industry News and Notes:
http://www.newsplusnotes.com
MJHammer1

Postby Tori_is_neat » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:47 pm

I rode Medusa for the first time a couple weeks ago, and I definitely prefer it to Hydra. As I've mentioned before, I recently got my ear pierced and feared for my pain tolerance at the very idea of going on Hydra, but Medusa had a short line and I figured I could just cover my ear with my hand. I didn't have to! I think my head hit the seat once or twice and I was fine otherwise, as was my ear.
Hopefully, Hydra will loosen up (er...tighten up??) in a year or so.

Enjoy your ride on Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel FORCE! ('09)
"What time is it?" "HANG TIME!" ('10)
Talon: The Grip of Fear - 10th Anniversary! ('11)
Tori_is_neat

Postby maeryk » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:23 pm

Yeah, I'm gonna be in the minority here and say the only way you are going to get a less rough ride than Hydra is to go sit on a park bench for a while.

There's _NOTHING_ rough about that ride. THere's a teensy bit of headbanging in the last two rows, on two of the elements, but that's more a poor OTSR design than anything else.

(Check out the OTSR's on Stormrunner and Farenheit for an example of how to do it right).

Hercules was _ROUGH_. Twister can be rough in the middle of the train in the helix (jackhammering) and ThunderHawk is smoother now than it was 20 years ago.

Hypers are ultra-smooth. They have to be.. they are going 70 mph or better. But even Talon is fairly weak, force-wise, compared to the other B&M inverts out there.

Hydra isn't rough. It's like glass, in comparison to many other coasters.
maeryk

Return to Trip Reports