10/26/08

Share the experiences of your latest trip to Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom

Moderator: dptalon135

10/26/08

Postby Yoshi » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:02 am

I got to the park around 6:30

Lines to get into the park were very slow thanks to a new procedure. They had either police officers or security guards (they had badges but I couldn't tell which they were), with handheld scanner metal detectors. Each person had to stand with their arms out and be scanned and then turn around and be scanned again. If you had a belt, they wanted to see the buckle. I find it strange they did this since 3 weeks ago during the day they didn't and last week they didn't either and of course the rest of the season they don't. I am wondering if something happened on Friday or Saturday night to cause this? It took less than 10 minutes to get into the park but that was because there were only a dozen people in each line. On a crowded Saturday, I could see this being a problem and I'd rather see the park get regular metal detectors like Great Adventure.

The park was a little more crowded than last week. All coaster lines were 5 - 10 minutes but the Haunt attraction lines were much longer. Wild Mouse had a car with riders stuck in the block brake in between a hairpin turn but re-opened a little later.

When exiting Talon, I was surprised to hear KoRn's Freak on a Leash playing on the speakers in the park. I was expecting it to be the censored version and was shocked to hear it wasn't. I know they say Haunt isn't reccomended for anyone under 13, but to hear music in the park using the f word still really surprised me. I wonder if they got any complaints since I quite a few kids in the park, even kids who couldn't have been more than 3 or 4 going through the walkthroughs with their parents.

Laser was closed all night. 3 trips in October and Laser has been closed every time. It's horrible that they haven't been running it that much especially since I am sure some non passholders took a trip to the park this month to get their final rides in only to find it closed. Revolution and Meteor have also been closed on all 3 trips.

On Enterprise, I got something I never thought I would at Dorney. A re-ride! The op asked me if I wanted to stay on for a 2nd ride. I was never expecting that since this is the same park that makes you walk around when you are the only person on a coaster train.

I tried Cornstalkers for the first time. I don't have anything to compare it to as I didn't try any other walkthroughs and skipped the ones at Great Adventure but I thought it was very well done. I was in the back of the group so no one jumped out at me which I was happy about since I really don't like that type of stuff.

This was probably my final trip of the season to Dorney. Overall it was a good season and Wildwater Kingdom made the season even better but it was really a shame to have Laser closed so much in its final season

Ride Count
Talon - 3
Hydra - 2
Steel Force - 3
Whip - 1
Dominator Red and Blue - 1 each
Wild Mouse – 2
Music Express - 1
Voodoo - 2
Enterprise - 2
Yoshi

Re: 10/26/08

Postby Hooky965 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:27 pm

Yoshi,

The officers at the gates are DPP. Instructions are to wand every guest entering the Haunt, unless the lines at the gates extends back to the ticket purchase windows. When that happens, or upon instruction from a supervisor, an alternate wanding procedure is initiated. These procedures have been in place since the beginning of the Haunt, and have not been brought about due to any specific occurance. "Regluar" metal detectors wouldn't really solve the problem of lines at those times, as they would be detecting the same items and would require the same checking as wanding does.

Hope this clears things up a little.
Hooky965

Postby Yoshi » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:48 pm

That makes sense, but if it supposed to be done during Haunt it wasn't being done last Sunday. There was no line to get in and it was after Haunt started since I was told I couldn't re-enter once I went into the park. I guess that is why I was surprised to see it this week.
Yoshi

Postby jamwa53 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:49 pm

Yeah the metal detectors are new for the Haunt, but they seemed to have worked. I know they caught someone with narcotics in a metal tin. They were banned, arrested, and prosecuted. But the one thing on the rise are just plain stupid kids. There were so many people kicked out last Friday for just stupid stuff. Some people waiting in line down near the Centerstage maze, Headstone Hollow just about fell in the frigid water and people were caught vandalizing the coffins laying around the park. But Friday was a great night to go. Hope you enjoyed it!
jamwa53

Postby MozzMarr86 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:58 am

Yoshi,

If you had come during Haunt hours and weren't checked then chances are more than likely you arrived after they had finished for the evening. I know for a fact that every single night for Haunt they check the guests with the metal detectors from 6:00 until 9:00. Hooky965 didn't mention the hours, but as far as the rest of the procedure is concerned he's correct.

GFG12,

There weren't that many people kicked out of the park. Five, six tops. That's the most I've seen on any single night of Haunt (or throughout the season for that matter) and I'm the last person that checks all of that information at the end of the night. But you're right, the procedure has been doing well so far.
MozzMarr86

Postby Yoshi » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:59 am

Maybe they started a little late that night? I got to the park around 6:15 - 6:30 or so on 10/19.
Yoshi

Postby Kozmo 1 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:53 pm

Why only check at certain times? So someone wants to bring in a weapon as long as they come before Haunt, or after 9 that's fine then.

They should have had real metal detectars like at Six Flags for years now...when are they going to wake up and realize what a threat the people coming through the gates are. Especialy on weekends in the summer.
RIP Dorney Park 1884-1992
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby Hooky965 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:35 pm

Kozmo 1 wrote:So someone wants to bring in a weapon as long as they come before Haunt, or after 9 that's fine then.

No, it's not. It's really, really not.

Kozmo 1 wrote:They should have had real metal detectars like at Six Flags for years now...when are they going to wake up and realize what a threat the people coming through the gates are. Especialy on weekends in the summer.

SFGA does, and HP doesn't. Up until now DP hasn't either, but perhaps this may be something that's being considered as a permanent thing in one form or another....I really don't know.

I don't know if it's apparent to anyone, but there's been an increase in DPP presence overall throughout the Haunt season....as a matter of fact, that's why I'm there 8). I think that there was a concerted effort to make sure that we're visible throughout the park, as well as in and around the attractions. Another thing that has gone without mention is the fact that we have also started to have mobile units on bikes in the park. These units are able to respond very quickly if the need arises. I don't know if that's going to continue throughout the season next year, but thus far the "reviews" have been very positive, and I'd consider it to be very likely.

These are the apparent things, there are also the not-so-apparent things, like the fact that members of our staff, & supervisors pull double duty and are Haunt actors & supervisors as well. All of these DPP personnel are very capable and have been able to respond very quickly when needed.

Although you may feel that the lack of full time detectors as something of a deficiency in overall security, I feel that the administration and supervisors have done their homework in determining the overall needs for the Haunt. In many ways, they have provided a level of security for the park that is rather unprecedented.
Hooky965

Postby MozzMarr86 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Yoshi wrote:Maybe they started a little late that night? I got to the park around 6:15 - 6:30 or so on 10/19.

Not sure. They had the staffing up there, I just don't know where they were at that particular time.

Kozmo 1 wrote:Why only check at certain times? So someone wants to bring in a weapon as long as they come before Haunt, or after 9 that's fine then.

They should have had real metal detectars like at Six Flags for years now...when are they going to wake up and realize what a threat the people coming through the gates are. Especialy on weekends in the summer.

Come on, man. I know you like to be sarcastic about the park but this crossed the line into ignorant. You know very well that just because we don't do surveillance throughout the entire day every day doesn't mean it's okay to bring a weapon when we are not. Also, you know that there are very few incidents in the park regarding weapons, and only those are things left behind. There isn't really a need to spend the money on the metal detectors. Fortunately, those people that are a threat aren't displaying themselves as such, so I don't foresee a change in policy.
MozzMarr86

Postby PepsiFan01 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:15 pm

I think it would be great to have them. Just seeing them would make people realize that the Park takes things very seriously and that any sort of weapons that are going to be attempted to be brought in will not be tolerated right from the get-go. An added bonus is that on a crazy days at the front, particularly Saturdays, people would be much more orderly seeing the detectors and Security assisting everyone through them.

I think Security is doing great with the Haunt by the way. They are all over the place and things have been running very smoothly. Props!

I just have a lot of first hand experience of being at the front gates with the plaza completely jammed with people and bus groups running and shoving their way to the front, being disorderly and rude, with Security not there at all or not helping. (Things have shown a lot of improvement in that area throughout the years by the way.) 16 year old kids getting screamed and cursed at because they're doing their jobs of enforcing the Park's many policies. People throwing hot coffees that they can't bring in on employees and supervisors getting hit when a parent has to pay more money to upgrade Junior tickets. It's not a pretty picture but that is the reality of the situation - I've seen it all. People get so ANGRY. What if that one time someone got so angry and DID have a weapon on them? Can't blame me for wanting a little extra added Security at the front to calm some folks down and ensure the safety of the entire Park throughout the day. Think Sundays and fights and South Whitehall parked out front. Never a good day, those pesky Sundays.

Will the Park spend money on getting them anytime soon? I doubt it, it would be a huge expense for them. If something ever happened, they probably would. So my two cents is put added Security throughout the year and if they can do more wand checks throughout the year at the front like they are doing for Haunt, that would be awesome.
PepsiFan01

Postby Hooky965 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:31 pm

PepsiFan01 wrote:I think Security is doing great with the Haunt by the way. They are all over the place and things have been running very smoothly. Props!

Thanks PF01, appreciate the compliment.
Hooky965

Postby MozzMarr86 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:13 pm

PepsiFan01 wrote:An added bonus is that on a crazy days at the front, particularly Saturdays, people would be much more orderly seeing the detectors and Security assisting everyone through them.

Actually, I doubt that. The clientele at Dorney always manages to be disorderly.
MozzMarr86

Postby Yoshi » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:38 pm

Hearing for months how bad the summer weekend crowds are, it almost makes me want to go once to see for myself just to see how badly behaved everyone is. Regardless, it's been enough to conivnce me to only go on weekdays during the summer.
Yoshi

Postby stealth220 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:37 am

Believe me...you do not want to be there. I would only consider it punishment and would never wish that on someone. I went once last summer on my day off - it was a Saturday, and I will never do it again.
stealth220

Postby PepsiFan01 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:28 am

MozzMarr86 wrote:Actually, I doubt that. The clientele at Dorney always manages to be disorderly.

Oh, some may manage it, but they'd hopefully get kicked out that much sooner then by Security at the detectors before they end up in the Park. If you're going to cause a scene at a metal detector, well what can I say...

Yoshi wrote:Hearing for months how bad the summer weekend crowds are, it almost makes me want to go once to see for myself just to see how badly behaved everyone is. Regardless, it's been enough to conivnce me to only go on weekdays during the summer.

Yes, stick to the weekdays, Yoshi, haha. Much better experience. Of course if you really want to see how bad it can get, pick Saturdays for the huge crowd effect, and Sundays for the troublemaker effect.
PepsiFan01

Next

Return to Trip Reports