5/15/09

Share the experiences of your latest trip to Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom

Moderator: dptalon135

5/15/09

Postby Yoshi » Fri May 15, 2009 11:01 pm

Since Friday's in May usually mean lots of school groups I decided to get to the park later in the day, around 5:30.

The new season pass processing is much faster than the old system and more stations were there. 8 versus I think 4 or 5 with the old system (and usually only 2 or 3 were used). It only took about 10 minutes total.

There were still a lot of school busses in the lot and a lot of people in line waiting to buy tickets, I guess because of the $19.99 after 5 admission price.

First ride was Talon, I saw a bunch of people leaving the line so I figured it must be a long wait. The line was maybe 30 feet past the stairs. The dispatches were faster than I have ever seen, the train was being dispatched right when the other train hit the brake run so the wait was only 10 minutes.

Hydra had about a 5 minute wait, also fast dispatches. Dominator had a long line for the Turbo Drop side but the Space Shot side was only a 2 cycle wait. Not that exciting anymore. Thundercreek Mountain had about a 10 minute wait, soaking as usual.

Thunderhawk had 2 trains running and it was a 1 train wait. It seemed to be running better this year.

Steel Force's line was down the stairs but with 2 trains running and a fast crew, it was about 10 minutes. Voodoo had the longest line I have ever seen for it, the line was into the first switchback. I estimated it to be 20+ minutes so I skipped it today. The new cubbies for Steel Force are great. It looked good how each car has it own set of cubbies and then each row of each car has its own section and then a metal door is slid over that train's cubbies while it is out of the station.

The spot where Laser was looks strange without it there. It's just an empty space fenced in.

Road Rally was only running 4 cars. I hope it is just because it is early in the season but I think it ran 4 and 5 cars all of last season so I am not expecting a lot more cars to be run. Even though only 20 people or so were in line, it was easily a 25+ minute wait because of only 4 cars running.

In the arcade, they have Voodoo plastic skull shaped cups for only 50 tickets. I think they were the refillable cups leftover from last year. Also new this year is Guitar Hero arcade but it is $2.00 to play! I didn't play it but I hope you get more than 1 song like at Great Adventure where it is $1.00 for 1 song.

The new shooting gallery where the giant skill cranes are is really nice looking. It keeps track of your accuracy and some of the targets even spray mist at you when you hit them.

Overall it was an ok trip, I guess Dorney just isn't as much fun to me as it used to be probably because I have been there so many times over the past few years.

Ride Count:
Talon - 3
Hydra - 1
Steel Force - 2
Thunderhawk - 2
Dominator Red - 1
Thunder Creek Mountain - 1

Every ride appeared to be open which was good.
Yoshi

Re: 5/15/09

Postby Tori_is_neat » Sat May 16, 2009 11:19 pm

Glad you had a good trip. Today woulda been better to go in regards to Steel Force, at least. We didn't have the line outside the station more than twice, and each time was for less than five minutes. The cubbies are pretty cool. :]

Enjoy your ride on Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel FORCE! ('09)
"What time is it?" "HANG TIME!" ('10)
Talon: The Grip of Fear - 10th Anniversary! ('11)
Tori_is_neat

Postby ccnepa87 » Sun May 17, 2009 3:08 am

glad you had some fun

I can't wait to try voodoo/posession next week for the first time.
ccnepa87

Postby dp45879 » Sun May 17, 2009 11:48 am

Awesome First-Dorney-TR of the season! I'll be going this Friday for music in the Parks...First time to dorney in 5 years...lol...hope the lines aren't too long!
dp45879

Postby Ecanyon05 » Sun May 17, 2009 6:58 pm

Good luck with that Dp with Music in the Parks the lines are loooooong...
Ecanyon05

Postby dp45879 » Sun May 17, 2009 7:10 pm

That's what I hear...I'm hoping that they're not too long..
dp45879

Postby Ecanyon05 » Sun May 17, 2009 7:54 pm

Friday 5/15 the longest wait at Hydra was 15 minutes because the ride crews are really moving and making sure your wait time is minimal. They look long but in reality its not long at all.
Ecanyon05

Return to Trip Reports