6/1/09 evening

Share the experiences of your latest trip to Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom

Moderator: dptalon135

6/1/09 evening

Postby dorneydude » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:15 am

Well there were no ball games after work so I took my daughter over to get our pictures/passes and though not the warmest weather (67 degrees?) we decided to stay a bit. We arrived to a rather empty park around 6pm greeted by the new Snoopy building that is waaaaaay bigger than I thought...though it does not appear anywhere near ready to go. We went right into the new pass area and within 2 minutes were out with our passes. AWESOME! I appreciate what they are trying to do by NOT having your picture on the pass. I guess it saves some money and in some odd way perhaps discourages giving your pass to friend...though on a hectic day I bet more folks sneak in with someone elses pass than before. My only real complaint is keeping our 4 passes straight throughout the year. I wrote out initials on the back with a Sharpie in case the signatures come off. Onto the park....

The park was empty. My daughter was finally (just) 54" and she went to town on some of the rides she had just missed last year. First up was Hydra. I was not looking forward to this because I seemed to recall getting pretty banged up on this ride. Well we walked right up and she wanted a middle seat to start. The ride was smooth as can be...couldn't be better. I am more of a traditional coaster guy but this was not how I remembered it....UNTIL we went on a second time in the front seat! HORRIBLE! Banged my head and neck around several times. I have no idea why this would be the case....unless we were on the other train the second time and its messed up bad. I'll stick to the middle next time!

Next up was VooDoo/Possesed whatever. She chickened out so it was onto our favorite, Steel Force. After a minor 2 - 3 minute wait for the front seat we were off. This ride never dissapoints. I like the new bigger monitors to your pictures but I am not spending that kind of dough. Maybe they should get some sort of system like Disney has where all you pictures are stored on line and you can later pick what you want or make packages. I am not spending $10 - $15 on an impulse buy...but I guess a number of folks do.

Next up: Road Rally with only a couple of folks on line. After a 10 minute wait because only 4 cars were going (as usual) we had our ride...she was tall enough to reach the pedal this year. It looks like the sign may have been repainted for this, or cleaned up real good. You know its a nicely landscaped track and all, its just a sin they only run 4 cars and there is always a wait. Personally I think they should just electrify the cars and eliminate the gas....maybe more cars could go at once.

Next up ThundeHawk. I was immediately dissapointed that it still has not been repainted. I did see numerous new pt timbers in place so it was getting some attention. Still it is digracefull the way it looks. I know its like a major undertaking to blast the paint of and repaint. I fear it gradually will just be left go until they claim it unsafe and they remove it. I say invest the $$$$ to get the paint off and then let the pt wood go grey or apply a stain or clear protectant that can more easily be applied every few years without the rigors of blasting the paint off. Anyway we got right on and had a BAD ride. The sucker kept braking everywhere! I never remember the brakes being so harshly applied (if at all) at the first drop or anywhere else but the end. We hardly flew around in our seat at all. I hope this has something to do weather and it starts to fly again in the summer or perhaps this is the beginnning of the end...

Next up we tried to win some candy at the .50 wheel. Finally a game you have a real chance to win that does not cost $2+. For all the families with kids I say 'Thanks DP'.

Next up Talon and the front seat. I am not a Talon fan. As with Hydra, I find the ride very uncomfortable. Maybe in the mid section its not as bad??? My 8 year old loved it though.

By now it was a bit before 8 and we left. The park was clean and all the workers friendly. Most everything I saw was open and running.

Does anyone know if you had purchased you pass on-line last year, can you get a refund? My son may not want a pass this year.
---the ORIGINAL DorneyDude
dorneydude

Re: 6/1/09 evening

Postby Yoshi » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:32 pm

There are no refunds on passes this year even if you didn't process yet

I agree about Road Rally. I don't know what happened between 2007 and the 2008 and this season but they used to have a lot more cars running. Even when the park is empty it is going to have a long line. 4 cars and figure 2 of each 4 cars have 2 riders, that is 6 riders a cycle. Then figure 3 minutes for a cycle, from the time to load the cars, drive the circuit and unload and you have 20 cycles an hour or 120 riders an hour which is probably the lowest capacity of any ride in the park.
Yoshi

Postby dorneydude » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:49 pm

Well, they can save by having less ops there and the price of gas has gone up....should convert to electric.
dorneydude

Postby bluewaves » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:02 am

From what I have heard from carpentry they are going to be working on Thunderhawk all season long, every morning the guys have been out there putting in new boards here and there and its getting a lot more attention that it has been. If you really look there are tons of new boards all throughout the ride, so its a good sign.
bluewaves

Postby dorneydude » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:22 pm

I see many new 4 X 4s. I hope they stain them if anything...no paint...it just makes a mess years down the road.
dorneydude

Postby bluewaves » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:29 pm

personally I hope they leave them natural or just a wood preservative and go back to the real old school for Thunderhawk
bluewaves

Postby dorneydude » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:37 am

yes, my point is its easier to spray preservative every few years than to strip paint.
dorneydude

Return to Trip Reports