DP Haunt 10/10/09

Share the experiences of your latest trip to Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom

Moderator: dptalon135

DP Haunt 10/10/09

Postby talonguy84 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:20 am

Hello all,

Having had an excellent time last year, my group decided to go to Haunt again this year. Sorry this review is 1 week overdue, and I do have a few pictures from our trip on my blog below if you are interested.

- I was happy that the forecast improved as last week went on, and by Saturday, overcast skies led to partly cloudy skies with cooler-temps than we remembered last year. Perhaps the cooler, overcast weather frightened some folks, as it was definitely less crowded than last year's visit.
- We began our day at 12:00 sharp with excellent rides on Talon, Wild Mouse (I don't usually read these forums much so not sure if this has been discussed, but what's up with only 2 adults per car on the WIld Mouse? Mack's mouse (such as at HP) can accommodate 4 adults...I just thought it was interesting since the line was not long, but it took forever!), Wave Swinger, Meteor, and Hydra before stopping for a typically painful-in-the-wallet $10 lunch-break at the Burger Barn. We then took advantage of Musik Express, Enterprise (one of my friend's regretted going on this after eating so soon!) and made our way towards Revolution and Steal Force before taking advantage of the "Fright Feast" dinner. All of the lines were relatively short to this point.
- The "Fright Feast" is an excellent bargain - and the added actors walking around scaring people made it extra spooktacular. (sorry :D ) Well done! No front-of-the-line haunt admission this year, which probably undoubtedly irritated some guests last year!
- The Haunt attractions were fantastic as usual. We made it through Death Trap, The Gauntlet, The Backwoods, Headstone Hallow, Cornstalkers, Club Blood, and Kill Hill all in one night. For me, I'm still traumatized from the movie "Saw," which was clearly one of the inspirations behind Death Trap. As a result - I found it very enjoyable in a horrifying kind of way. The gentleman at the end (I suppose he was supposed to be the serial killer) was very scary! Good job! The Backwoods was very-well themed...I liked the school bus idea, and the actors were great. Very creepy for anyone who hated summer camp (aka me.) Headstone Hallow was very scary - some of the actors appear to be statuesque, which is an excellent "scare-tactic" we felt. They certainly startled us at times.
- Last year we did not do Cornstalkersbecause we ran out of time and thought it would be lame, but as it turns out, it was by far the scariest walk-through I feel. The actors blend in so well and you never know where you can expect them coming from. No doubt they must hold back laughter at times - especially when my group walked through - because they certainly got us a couple of times. It was excellent!
- Club Blood and Kill Hill left something to be desired we felt...

All in all, despite the chilly temps and wind, we had a great time. Not as much riffraff this year either, which was appreciated. Koodos to the actors, talents, and the employees - we will be back.

For anyone interested, there are a few pictures on my blog:
http://mattypark.wordpress.com/
talonguy84

Re: DP Haunt 10/10/09

Postby Ecanyon05 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:00 pm

Dorney's Wild Mouse is manufactured by Mauer Shone (thats spelled wrong) rather than Mack so it has different ways of being loaded. 4 Adults means ridiculously fast cars which isn't good for Dorney's Mouse.

BTW I'm glad you enjoyed Death Trap!
Ecanyon05

Postby MozzMarr86 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:20 am

It's Maurer Söhne.
MozzMarr86

Postby bluewaves » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:13 pm

not having 4 adults in a car is a plus for the wild mouse, unlike in Disney where their primeval whirl they shove 4 adults in there like sardines and you end up becoming very close with some complete strangers awfully quick, yuck.
bluewaves

Postby MozzMarr86 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:11 pm

Not allowing four adults in a car at the Mouse is a negative for both the operators and the guests. First, it makes for an incredibly inefficient attraction. Guests hate that. Trust me, I've spent a fair amount of time working the Mouse. Second, the fact that if the braking system was set properly the ride could operate perfectly fine with four adults in a car is absolutely frustrating to employees, not to mention having to deal with the aforementioned irate guests.

Those cars can take upwards of 680lbs each. The average weight of an adult male is 190lbs. Unless you have a situation where there are four decently-sized men waiting in line, you should be able to get four adults in each car.

Instead of having a situation you're discussing where people get "shoved" together you run into a situation where a group of people who want to go together can't. As far as I'm concerned, the latter makes people more upset.
MozzMarr86

Postby Yoshi » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:37 am

Agreed 100%, the line moves so slow because of that rule (and the bad station design and seatbelts) that it almost is to the point I skip the ride on most trips. I only went on the ride 2 or 3 times last season. It amazes me when I go to the Dark Knight and a line that would take 20 minutes for Dorney's mouse takes less than 5 minutes at Great Adventure.

I have no problem riding with strangers in the same car as long as they are in the other row in the car. I would think most people would feel the same.
Yoshi

Return to Trip Reports