5/21

Share the experiences of your latest trip to Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom

Moderator: dptalon135

5/21

Postby dorneydude » Mon May 24, 2010 11:31 am

Friday, 5/21 arrived with my daughter for our first trip at about 6:15 or so. There were long lines for tickets and season pass processing. I had called and the lady told me there was no need to check in or anything for those who had renewed passes last season. It seemed hard to believe.

I pulled in the drop off entrance---to be honest never really stopped doing this; the car in front of me was turned around and told to go to the other entrance. Uh Oh! I showed our passes and asked if I dropped my daughter off was it true she could use last year’s pass and just go right in? The girl was not sure and suggested I proceed thru and go with her to see what happens. Well I was planning on doing that anyway so thru I went and parked in the old season pass holder’s area where there were numerous spots. Sure enough we walked up, the scanned our passes and we were in! Kudos to DP for this. It saves on reissuing passes and saved us from having to go thru the check in process.

We started by walking down to Demon Drop where I had to explain to my 9 year old why the fish were gone and the bumper cars. She made a good point about why they could not have moved them to where the laser was. We then did Red Dominator with maybe a 7 minute wait. I was not up for the flume but it was running. From there we went to Thunderhawk. Great ride and two trains were going but we spent more time waiting to leave and exit sitting on the t rain than the ride was. The braking did not seam as harsh as I recall last year. The thing is looking pretty pathetic but I can also imagine the labor involved in stripping and staining it.

Next was to the gas powered cars with maybe 5 people ahead of us. Still a 10 minute wait since only 4 cars were on the track. They have little head pads mounted on the steering wheel this year.

We next walked past VooDoo…no line but she still did not want to go on this ride…she has done every coaster everywhere but this sucker disturbs her for some reason. Up to Steel Force…the lines were in the ques so we chose not to wait. It looks a bit run down. How much could it cost to simply repaint all the red track?

I had forgotten my wallet in the car and we were getting hungry so I pulled out the only dollar I had and played twice at the candy wheel. She won 3 bars! Sadly she took a stuffed animal instead of some candy which I really could have eaten. At .50 a play this is about the best game deal DP has. I saw nothing posted at any of the games about speacials for passholders as someone had remarked. Oh yea, they still have the basketball shoot out by the zephyr (that was not running) when we walked by. Wasn’t that $5 last year. The sign said “Special” $10. Are they crazy? Did I misread that…it would explain why no one was playing…which was too bad, we usually stop and what for 10 minutes or so.

We next went to Hydra with a 7 minute wait. Smooth Ride, not as jerky as I recall last year. We sat in the middle.

Finally we walked up to the swings and finished our little trip there. It was about 8pm when we left.

We got stuck in back of 3 or 4 busses on the way….pew! Another good question per my daughter…where do the bus drivers go all day long?

The park was clean and people seamed well behaved…just as it usually is in the Spring and Fall.
:D
---the ORIGINAL DorneyDude
dorneydude

Re: 5/21

Postby Yoshi » Mon May 24, 2010 12:35 pm

The sign still says special at the basketball game?! It said special $5 earlier in the season. It was always $5 but I had a feeling they were going to raise it especially with SF charging $10 as well
Yoshi

Postby shanty » Mon May 24, 2010 12:42 pm

It had been 10 for a while, but they had to cut it back to 5 most days. It can still be 10 on a crowded weekend.

BTW, I am the all time leading scorer on that court. I'll get a Wii this season for sure. Last season I got 2 12's a BUNCH of 11's and a crapload of 10's. I'd play usually 4 times most every time I went to the park. Figure I played that game at least 150-200 times last summer. I gave away every bit of 100 basketballs to various kids throughout the park and I have maybe 10 of them still at my house.
shanty

Postby dorneydude » Mon May 24, 2010 3:54 pm

Well yourself aside, I do not see them making oodles of $$$$ at $10 a pop!
---the ORIGINAL DorneyDude
dorneydude

Postby FutureMan2 » Mon May 24, 2010 11:01 pm

What was your high score shanty? The $10 special makes it easier to get a better prize for a lower score. However it isn't possible to get the choice prize under the $10 special. Also the only way to win a Wii is to do the $10 special.

Milestone Coasters:
150-Voyage
200-Behemoth
250-Intimidator
300-Kraken
FutureMan2

Postby shanty » Tue May 25, 2010 11:05 am

I've gotten 2 12's last year. I got a jersey for each one. And I never paid 10 dollars last year ever. I played on weekends and weekdays. IN the rain and in great weather.

Maybe they're going to try to squeeze more revenue out of the game by going back to 10 bucks. Seems stupid to me, although the game is usually packed. It's the highest revenue game in the place really. I don't think it will be packed with people waiting 5-6 deep though at 10 bucks a shot.

And last year I never saw anything that said "you have to play for 10 bucks to get the wii". It said the top prize (which requires you to go 12-12 on 3's in 40 seconds, which is very difficult) was a Wii or PS3. I know this, if I had gone 12-12 and not gotten a Wii last year, when I was playing for 5 bucks, I would have gone apeshit.
shanty

Postby FutureMan2 » Tue May 25, 2010 5:42 pm

The high score for the game is 14. The Wii is no longer a choice prize. The IPad replaced the Wii this year as choice and you could still win the Wii, now it only takes 12 since the Wii is turning into old news. I'd guess that it's going to be $10 this weekend since they made a decent amount that day and it's memorial day weekend.

Milestone Coasters:
150-Voyage
200-Behemoth
250-Intimidator
300-Kraken
FutureMan2

Postby Bender » Tue May 25, 2010 11:15 pm

I played twice on Friday. The $10 sucked a little but the points you needed were much lower. I had 3 points on my first try and got a Penn State basketball, which I think you needed 6 or 7 points at the $5 price. The second game I had 9 points and won a Lebron James Jersey. You needed 11 or 12 points at the $5 price point. Spent another $3 for a Domo at Rising Waters. There were tons of these all over the park. Probably the most I ever spent on games in a single day.
Bender

Postby Fundahawk » Thu May 27, 2010 9:32 pm

Don't hate on the Thunderhawk crew for long train stacks. Those seatbelts and old PTC buzzbars seriously suck.
Fundahawk

Postby dptalon135 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:29 pm

We had no problems with them when I was team lead there.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby HK36 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:29 pm

dorneydude wrote:The park was clean and people seamed well behaved…just as it usually is in the Spring and Fall.
:D

This Quote makes me happy!!!
HK36

Return to Trip Reports