4/29/12 Photo TR

Share the experiences of your latest trip to Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom

Moderator: dptalon135

4/29/12 Photo TR

Postby Yoshi » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:03 pm

I had hoped to go to Great Adventure this weekend but with all the events going on at the park, I expected it to be very crowded so I decided to go to Dorney instead. My biggest concern this season was going to be how FastLane was implemented. Flash Pass rarely is a problem at Great Adventure since almost all rides have merge points at the station but after hearing at Carowinds how FastLane users could go up the exit and pick any seat they wanted including the front, I was worried the same thing might happen at Dorney. Thankfully that isn't the case.

The lot wasn't that crowded and the new preferred parking area isn't too large, it probably has around 100 spots.

The first ride of the day was Talon. 1 train was running and it was a 2 train wait. The newly painted track looks really bright and is great. It is a big difference between how it looked last year. As usual, Talon was awesome and is still my favorite ride in the park. The FastLane line goes to the staircase towards where row 8's waiting row is in the station and I noticed they were not letting much more than 1 train worth of riders in the station at a time possibly because of Fast Lane.

I skipped Wild Mouse since it looked to be at least 20 minutes. This is the only ride where FastLane goes up the exit.

I was going to go to Hydra which was also running 1 train but decided I would go to it later.

It is rare for Talon and Hydra to run 1 train and although I didn't have a problem with it today since crowds were low, I hope it wasn't done to increase FastLane sales and they will run 2 trains when it is a little more crowded. The entire day I didn't see a single person using FastLane.

Thundercreek Mountain was next, with no one in line. I got soaked as usual and didn't go back for a 2nd ride because of that. From the ride, I saw Hydra was broken down with the train full of riders on the brake run before the station.

I went to Thunderhawk which also has a separate FastLane line that goes up the stairs next to the regular line. 1 train was running with lots of empty rows to choose from. I took a non wheel seat and had a somewhat smooth ride (for Thunderhawk).

Steel Force was running 2 trains with no wait except for the front. For FastLane, you enter the regular line and after the stairs, the old entrance to the station is now for FastLane and everyone else walks around the switchbacks and up the ramp in front of the station. I got 2 rides and saw that Stinger had broken down but now reopened so I went there next.

The queue is not that big, there is a pathway to the switchbacks which there are 5 of and then a long ramp to the station. Like Talon, they weren't letting many riders in the station at once so even on a day like today when the park was empty, the line was almost halfway down the ramp. I can see the ride getting a full queue on a busy day.

For my first ride, I took row 1 since there was no one waiting for that row. I haven't ridden a coaster with these restraints since 2007 when Great Nor'Easter still had the old trains and I forgot how uncomfortable the restraints were compared to Intamin or B&M inverted coaster OSTR's. It felt confining around my shoulders.

The ride was smoother than I was expecting with a little bit of headbanging in the cobra roll. Like a standard boomerang, going backwards through the loop was very forceful. I walked around and this time went for the last row. I liked that better since you go up the lift forwards and I don't like the feeling of going up the lift backwards and falling into the restraint. I also did not realize at the top of the first lift, there was a slight pause before the train went back down the lift hill. I also didn't know the floor lowers on this coaster type like B&M inverts, although it was done differently with part of the floor moving forward out of the station and then lowered with the part out of the station on an angle.

For my 3rd ride, I tried a middle row this time facing other riders. I had enough after 3 rides and although I thought the ride was ok, it's my 2nd least favorite coaster at Dorney (Wild Mouse is my least favorite). It seemed to be popular though with many people getting right back in line for another ride while a few people said it was too much for them and didn't go for another ride. FastLane has a separate line that basically runs parallel to the main line and goes to the opposite end of the station.

I stopped at Possessed next waiting 1 cycle for a middle row. It is strange having to inverted shuttle coasters right next to each other and will probably take some getting used to seeing both rides running. FastLane's entrance is near the Monster Grille and merges right before the station.

Dominator was next, with no wait for either side. I had a solo ride on the Space Shot side. Here FastLane's entrance is right after you enter the line and it looked like it went to the Space Shot side. I am unsure if you can ride the TurboDrop side with FastLane or not since it might be like Chiller where FlashPass only worked on the Robin track.

Hydra had reopened so I went there next and the FastLane entrance is the staircase near the front row line. There was no wait and it still was rattling the entire ride. It has become a once a trip ride for me because of that. I really hope the rumor of Bizarro leaving Great Adventure doesn't happen since Bizarro is such a better ride than Hydra.

Wild Mouse now had a short wait so I stopped there. There are new rider rules of a 75" maximum height limit (this might have been a rule before but I don't think it was posted) and that you have to be 8 years old to ride. I was surprised to see a minimum age since if you meet the height requirements, shouldn't that be enough? Hangtime now also says it is not recommended for riders under the age of 10.

I decided to ride the Cedar Creek Cannonball which went past a closed Thunder Canyon and went back to Talon for 2 more rides to finish the day. White Water Landing was also running with basically no one riding.

Overall it was a good trip to the park with short lines and I look forward to going back especially when Wildwater Kingdom opens.

Preferred Parking Lot

Dinosaur Alive "Sample", they had a few Dinosaurs all over the park

Talon

Steel Force

Dominator

Hydra in the inclined dive loop

An empty White Water Landing

A closed Thunder Canyon

Stinger Entrance Sign

Stinger's train zooming through the station

In between the cobra roll and loop

Cobra Roll

Loop
Yoshi

Re: 4/29/12 Photo TR

Postby PepsiFan01 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:33 am

Nice report and pics, Yoshi. I agree that it is curious about Wild Mouse. Was that needing to be 8-years old a recommendation or a requirement? If a child is 6 or 7, wants to ride, and meets the height requirement, they should be able to ride since they paid full price. I agree Talon looks great with the new paint job, and I was interested to hear about Stinger. Sounds like it is just okay overall.
PepsiFan01

Postby Yoshi » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:12 pm

I think it was a requirement and the sign might have said "Minimum 8 years old to participate" or something along those lines. So now someone under 8 years old can only ride 1 coaster, Woodstock's Express unless they are 48" and want to ride Steel Force and Thunderhawk compared to Great Adventure where a kid who is 44" can ride Blackbeard's, The Dark Knight, Rolling Thunder, Skull Mountain, Road Runner Railway and Runaway Mine Train.

I also read on another site the reason Thunder Canyon wasn't open is because it now follows WWK's schedule
Yoshi

Postby PepsiFan01 » Tue May 01, 2012 7:49 am

I don't agree with that rule. Imagine a parent waiting in line (not seeing that sign) with a regular price 48 inch five or six year old for an hour or so in that Wild Mouse line and then getting up to the front and being told they don't meet the age requirement? Not good.
PepsiFan01

Postby Kozmo 1 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:40 am

Simple, if your child is over 44" and they ask the age just say 8, they can't ask for ID or anything...I doubt it's anything they can/will actualy enforce.
RIP Dorney Park 1884-1992
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby PepsiFan01 » Tue May 01, 2012 3:07 pm

Then why have the rule to begin with? I'm sure people will lie, but I'm not sure if the employees will just blow off enforcing the rule. It's pretty easy to spot the difference between a 5 year old and an 8 year old. More than likely most people won't read the signs, the employees will ask the kids' ages, and if they say something under 8, they won't let them on. I'd be curious to hear how those situations get handled...maybe someone from Ops will chime in during the season about it. 8)
PepsiFan01

Postby Kozmo 1 » Wed May 02, 2012 8:25 am

Sounds like something they probably just discovered in the ride manual or perhaps a new recomendation instituted by the manufacturer. I'm sure just putting it on the signs is enough to make the lawyers happy...I don't see it being enforced.

No kid that's just 44" is going to be 8 years old.
RIP Dorney Park 1884-1992
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby Yoshi » Wed May 02, 2012 10:27 pm

I remember 2 years ago when we were processing our passes, there was a kid who was 5 and was just over 48" and he had to get a regular pass instead of the junior pass. The worker at the processing office then said how he can now ride Steel Force. His parents looked at her like she was crazy, but its funny to think the kid could ride Steel Force and Dominator but not the Wild Mouse.
Yoshi

Postby dorneyparkrules » Tue May 08, 2012 5:28 pm

I am surprise no one has said this yet but Ferris Wheel now has seats belts. I never notice them last year.
Former Dorney Park Employee
2013- Thunder Canyon
2014- Steel Force, Possessed, Monster, and Revolution
2015- Stinger, Cedar Creek Flyers, Revolution, and Steel Force
2017- Possessed and Monster
dorneyparkrules

Postby dptalon135 » Tue May 08, 2012 6:57 pm

I'm sure that's effective :roll: .

They really should just get rid of that stupid Wheel and get a newer, bigger one with a better control system and a better gondola design.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed May 09, 2012 12:01 am

And one that allows single riders, I know Chance has that rule of not allowing it but now all Ferris Wheels in NJ too don't allow single riders after what happened at Morey's last year. Though knowing Dorney, even if they did get a new Ferris Wheel, they'd probably leave the rule in place just like the Scrambler that has the same rule even though Eli Bridge says it is ok if seatbelts are installed.
Yoshi

Postby cf4444 » Wed May 09, 2012 4:43 pm

dptalon135 wrote:I'm sure that's effective :roll: .

They really should just get rid of that stupid Wheel and get a newer, bigger one with a better control system and a better gondola design.

Second.

The seat belt came late last year, around late August or early September, after "the accident" that I am sure we all know about.

Did anyone also notice the Sea Dragon is missing its mast? Or that the big clock near the Ferris Wheel is gone?
cf4444

Postby Yoshi » Wed May 09, 2012 6:40 pm

I didn't realize either was gone, I hope the clock is still in WWK since I don't have my phone with me then and I am always checking the clock to see how much time I have before closing since I usually go to WWK later in the day.
Yoshi

Postby dorneyparkrules » Wed May 09, 2012 9:05 pm

The employees at the ferris wheel on 4/29/12 were acting so stupid which I mean the height stick employee was asking stupid question like can we allow 7 people in a gondola and kept forget to check seat belts. At first I didn't notice the clock missing but then when one of my family memebers said something about it then I notice. The mast on Sea Dragon was the first thing I noticed missing on opening day. I don't think there are single riders allowed on Ferris Wheel
Former Dorney Park Employee
2013- Thunder Canyon
2014- Steel Force, Possessed, Monster, and Revolution
2015- Stinger, Cedar Creek Flyers, Revolution, and Steel Force
2017- Possessed and Monster
dorneyparkrules

Postby cf4444 » Thu May 10, 2012 7:50 am

The clock in the WWK was still up when i was there Wednesday. Not sure if it is staying or not though.

As for the Ferris Wheel crew, 4/29 was the second day of the season I believe so I would cut them some slack. I mean yes, they should know better then to allow 7 people in a car unless an infant is involved and they should be checking seat belts of all passengers however, I am sure one of the Leads will fix those issues as the season continues. That is if they haven't already correct the issue.
cf4444

Next

Return to Trip Reports