Great Adventure - May 11th

Share the experiences of your latest trip to Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom

Moderator: dptalon135

Great Adventure - May 11th

Postby rotlex » Thu May 17, 2012 8:52 am

Wanted to post a quick run down of how my first visit to Great Adventure in 15 years went. My daughter and I went last Friday, the 11th, as she had the day off for a teacher in service day at Whitehall.

We arrived at the park around 10am, and waited after entering until the 10:30 opening. The entrance way looked pretty much like I remembered, albeit with metal detector scanning before the ticket gates. :D

Once "rope drop" happened, we headed straight for El Toro; a ride we had both been looking forward too for a long time. I'll keep this brief, and give a major ride count below, but let's just say the park, while not empty, had very little wait times all day. The max we waited was an hour for Green Lantern, and I think that's only because "we" timed it wrong in getting over there. Otherwise, most waits were either 10 minutes, or non existent. A GREAT day to go me thinks. Quick round up of coasters ridden, counts, and like or dislike:

El Toro - 4 rides - LOVED this thing. WOW could we use one of these at Dorney, LOL
Runaway Mine Train - 1 ride - Just as I remembered it. Brought back a lot of childhood memories while crusing around the curve that goes over the lake.
Bizzaro - 1 ride - really enjoyed this. Longer and faster than I would have thought.
Superman - 1 ride - Liked it, but was a bit surprised at the pain I felt in my chest during the "outside" kind of loop. I think Manta at Sea World is a better version of this.
Green Lantern - 1 ride - Longest wait of the day. While OK, it gave me a MASSIVE headache for some reason that lasted like an hour. We ate after the ride to help that, LOL.
Rolling Thunder - 1 ride - Just as I remembered. Only 2 trains running on one side of the track. Still a good ride, but aging.
Dark Knight Coaster - 1 ride - OK, an indoor Wild Mouse. Fun, but once was enough.
Batman the Ride - 1 ride - Just as I remember. A really good ride, with a great theme around it.
Nitro - 4 rides - front, back, middle, front again - What can I say. I loved this 15 or so years ago, and still think it is the best steel coaster I have ever ridden. Next to El Toro the best ride in the park.
Skull Mountain - 1 ride - Nostalgic yes; but I never really feel the need to ride it again, LOL.
King Da Ka - 2 rides - Loved it. (Especially with a zero minute wait time). Saw one roll back while walking back for our 2nd ride.

All coasters were running at least 2 trains, some more. Very efficient loading and operation.

I think that was it for coasters. We also rode a few flats, played some games, and had an all around great time. Weather was perfect. Crowds, again, very low, and frankly, if I lived closer, I'd have turned our tickets into season passes. I'm sure my impressions were jaded, in a good way, by the time of year and low crowds, but I was expecting a much worse experience from everything I hear. The park was clean, staff friendly, food good, and prices not that bad. Heck, I think I paid less to eat than I do at Dorney, and got some nice deals on t-shirts and other stuff.

All in all a FANTASTIC day!
rotlex

Re: Great Adventure - May 11th

Postby Yoshi » Sat May 19, 2012 2:43 pm

Great report, and I'm glad you had a good trip to the park. The park has really improved a lot over the last 5 years or so. I didn't even go to the park from 2003 - 2006 because of a horrible visit in 2002 but after giving the park another chance in 2007, I decided to get a season pass in 2008 and now I go there more than Dorney (I live almost an equal distance from Dorney and Great Adventure).

Green Lantern can cause a lot of headbanging depending on how high or low the restraint is. I usually don't have much of a problem but a few weeks ago I had the restraint up too high and it was horrible because my head kept hitting the restraint on every inversion.
Yoshi

Return to Trip Reports