Opening Day, 5/6/06

Share the experiences of your latest trip to Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom

Moderator: dptalon135

Opening Day, 5/6/06

Postby Yoshi » Sat May 06, 2006 9:55 pm

I decided to go today for opening day after my plans to go on a school trip to Hershey fell through.

First ride of the day was Talon. The line was just past the stairs but the wait was only 5 minutes. Almost everyone was waiting for the front so once one of the ops told everyone waiting for the front to move to the right, everyone else was able to walk right into the station and find almost every row with no wait. Talon was great like always, I don't know how people can say it's forceless as I felt some forces throughout the ride and towards the end, my legs started to feel a little heavy.

After that we went to the Cedar Creek Cannonball. While on the train, I wanted to see if Thunder Canyon had the waterfalls turned on and they did, so I skipped it (only in the low 70's today).

Next up was Hydra. Wait was around 10 minutes. I enjoyed the ride but I didn't like it as much as I remember compared to last year. The Jo-Jo roll still feels weird even though it was my 5th ride on Hydra total.

Thunder Creek Mountain was next. The wait was about 10 minutes. Even though I brought with a jacket specifically for this ride, I still got soaked. The waterfall you go through barely got any water on me but the splash after drop got water all over.

Then I headed to the Whip which was only a 1 cycle wait. It seemed more intense than Hershey's whip and was a great ride.

I then walked over to Laser. It was only a 2 train wait but with 1 train running and slow dispatches, it took around 10 minutes. What seems to slow down the loading is the rule of filling in the first open row. People were going into the last row of the train or somewhere else other than the first open row and the op was making them get up and move. And with only 1 op checking the restraints, it seemed like it was taking 5 minutes for a full circuit (loading, ride time and unloading). Last time on Laser I tensed my leg muscles because I heard that stops you from blacking out. Today, I wanted to try it without tensing muscles and I didn't even grey out on the loops. However, the last helix was a lot more forceful than I remember (maybe because I was towards the back of the train this time and last time I was in the 3rd row). Even if there wasn't a line, it seems like a once a visit type ride.

Steel Force was closed all day which was dissapointing but I know I'll have some chances to ride it later in the season.

Thunderhawk was running 2 trains today. Everytime I walk through the queue with the 2 sets of switchbacks, I can't help but think how unneccessary it was to build such a queue considering I have never seen the line a few feet past the stairs. Most seats were a 1 - 2 train wait. I noticed there was little to no airtime in the back of the train. When we got back to the station, I saw the station had maybe 12 people in it so I went around again for another ride (I hate that no re-ride policy). This time I rode in the middle because it seemed like everyone was going for multiple rides (I heard one person say they went on 6 times) so the station got somewhat filled up quickly. Again, no air time in the middle. I guess there is only a lot of airtime in the front (last season when I sat in the first row I was getting air time all over).

I stopped back at Hydra for another ride, again about a 10 minute wait. Same feelings about it as the first ride.

I then went to Wild Mouse as I didn't get the credit last year due to the line (last year was my first visit since 2000). The wait was about 20 minutes. The first half was really intense with the car really whipping around those hair pin turns, but after that part the brakes were horrible. I had the lap bar down not to the point of being stapled but still down a lot. Every time the car hit a brake, I slammed into the lap bar which really hurt my stomach (the brake before the final brake was the worst). Definetly the worst Wild Mouse I have been on.

The last ride of the day was another ride on Talon. What was funny going into the line was that more people were leaving the ride than entering. It seemed as if the wait was too long for most people and as soon as they saw how long the line was they turned around right away and exited the line. Then the ride greeter started telling people the line was 30 minutes. It was about 15 - 20 minutes, but that just shows how everyone is used to the lines at Dorney usually being non existant that a supposedly 30 minute wait is too long for some people. Again, another great ride.

Overall the day was great with very short lines. I can't wait until I go back again (hopefully next week!)
User avatar
Posts: 1822
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:54 pm

Return to Trip Reports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests