What's your favorite ride anywhere from any era?

Talk about other parks and the amusement industry.

Moderator: dptalon135

What's your favorite ride anywhere from any era?

Postby Hooky965 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:50 pm

This is a pretty simple question, but just to be clear, this can be any ride from anywhere from any time period (it doesn't have to still be around...I'm looking at you, Laser fans!).

For me, the #1 ride is a roller coaster, but it's not the fastest, tallest, or wildest one that I was ever on. In fact, by modern standards it would probably be considered pretty lame.

My favorite ride of all time is the Jumbo Jet roller coaster that used to be on Morey's Pier down in Wildwood. It was a steel Schwartzkopf creation that stood down there from 1977 to 1986. There were a few things that I loved about that ride that I haven't seen since (besides the Whizzer, a similar coaster that is still in operation at SF Great America). First, the trains were comprised of only two cars and they had seating which was very similar to what you would find in a log flume ride...basically a bench with a back support. Riders could pair up or ride single on each side of the bench (each train could only carry a total of twelve riders when fully loaded). There were hand rails on the sides of the cars, but that's it...no other restraints! The other thing that I loved about it was the lift. It didn't operate on a standard chain, instead there were electric motors in the cars which would pull them up to the top of a corkscrew. It was a nice, smooth trip up the ladder, and all the while you got a great view of everything from an ever changing perspective. The ride generated some nice G's as it hit the bottom of the first hill, and continued them through the twisting helixes. It was also the first coaster that I ever rode solo on, so it holds a special place in my heart for that fact as well.

You can see some pics of the ride here: http://www.rcdb.com/ig1916.htm

One of those shots is from the top of the lift hill looking down at the turns...in classic Schwartzkopf style, he pinned you in your seat!

The Jumbo Jet...gone but not forgotten!
Hooky965

Re: What's your favorite ride anywhere from any era?

Postby hydra&hercules » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:39 am

Well Hydra is my all-time favorite coaster,but laser always holds a special place in my heart being my first looping coaster. :cry: The roller coasters that i rode on for the first time was in this order: Vapor Trail (Seasame Place), Steel Force, Thunderhawk, Laser, Hydra,
and Talon.
hydra&hercules

Postby cf4444 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:51 pm

My #1 ride of any era is the classic Double Looper by Schwarzkopf. Those rides are great. For newer generation rides, its B&M Hypers.
Last edited by cf4444 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
cf4444

Postby Yoshi » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:16 pm

I'd really like to try the Jumbo Jet or Jet Star rides, I only tried the City Jet at Gillian's which is a much smaller ride but also has the circular lift hill and no restraints (well until the accident on their Wild Mouse in 1999) and it was fun but I can imagine a larger version would have been even better.

My favorite ride is Sooperdooperlooper. It's just a fun relaxing ride that you can marathon easily. I also really like just the lap bars (and no seatbelts!), and the forces in the loop.
Yoshi

Postby Hooky965 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:13 am

Yoshi,

Unfortunately, the Jumbo Jets have virtually disappeared. If you ever find yourself down Mexico way, you can still find one in operation here;
http://www.rcdb.com/id1867.htm
The photo link here is really good, as it gives a nice perspective on the ride.

The coolest part of that ride (spiral lift) was also the ride's achillies heel. I've talked to some of the maintenance guys from the Jumbo Jet, and they told me that keeping the electric lift motors operating was a nightmare.

You mentioned the City Jet at Gillians, but I did a quick scan of their website and didn't see that ride listed. According to the RCDB, it was relocated to another park in the midwest several years ago. I never got to ride that one, but I did get to experience the Whizzer at Great America. This ride is spread out much more than the Jumbo was, so it lacked the high intensity turns, but it did bring me back to that lift mechanism. Also, the trains were double the size, and they had added seatbelts a while back. You can see more of this ride here: http://rcdb.com/id113.htm
It's still a very popular ride in the park, and they seem to take great pride in keeping it operational.
Hooky965

Postby Yoshi » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:19 am

Yeah Gillian's got rid of it in 2004, and the park that bought it scapped it. I wish they would have kept it since it was the best coaster in Ocean City and there really is no coaster at either park that stands out as anything special. Whizzer looks like another great ride. Unfortunately I won't be riding it any time soon (or that one in Mexico) since my park visits are basically just Dorney and Great Adventure (with a trip to Hershey and Morey's usually).
Yoshi

Postby Kozmo 1 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:36 am

Millenium Force at Cedar Point. I love height and speed and length. And so many fond memories of my first visits to the Point.
RIP Dorney Park 1884-1992
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby Tori_is_neat » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:28 pm

So, I know there better coasters, and they give really exciting and wonderful rides...

...but Steel Force is my baby. Late middle school and my high school summers were spent riding that thing, over and over and over...
I know the timing with my eyes closed, but it's still exciting and fun. And nothing beats riding threw the fog during Halloweekends. It was my first *big* coaster, I guess, and it's all I rode for like four years (well, I rode the other coasters, but not nearly as much as this).
I also feel very content and relaxed on it. It's just...nice.

So, yeah. Steel Force = fave.

Enjoy your ride on Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel FORCE! ('09)
"What time is it?" "HANG TIME!" ('10)
Talon: The Grip of Fear - 10th Anniversary! ('11)
Tori_is_neat

Postby N_Dub04Gli » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:10 pm

Hooky965 wrote:This is a pretty simple question, but just to be clear, this can be any ride from anywhere from any time period (it doesn't have to still be around...I'm looking at you, Laser fans!).

Journey to the center of the earth... Favorite non existing DP ride of all time. The Hulk @ Islands of Adventure is my all time fav roller coaster!
2015... My year off from Dorney. C'mon Cedar Fair, you are losing me...
N_Dub04Gli

Postby ccnepa87 » Sun May 17, 2009 3:20 am

My all time favorite rides are the Steel Force at Dorney Hercules when it was at Dorney and the Twister at Knobels
ccnepa87

Postby dp45879 » Sun May 17, 2009 11:46 am

I have a few favorites...Here they are:

Coaster - Phoenix at Knoebels...My first real coaster...love the feeling and the airtime.
Log Flume (traditional) - Knoebels...I love the drop, and the way it goes through the woods.
Dark Ride - DINOSAUR
Drop ride - Tower of Terror
Other Favs - Test Track, Soarin'
dp45879

Return to Industry Discussion