Best Park in Pa or NJ

Talk about other parks and the amusement industry.

Moderator: dptalon135

Which is the Best Park?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:09 pm

Dorney Park
24%
Hershey Park
29%
Knoebels
29%
Morey's Piers
5%
Six Flags Great adventure
14%

Total votes : 21

Best Park in Pa or NJ

Postby hydra&hercules » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:09 pm

Which do you guys think is the best park in PA or NJ? :wink:
hydra&hercules

Re: Best Park in Pa or NJ

Postby Yoshi » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:41 pm

Even though I hate to give them the vote with their horrible operations recently and removal of the rapids, I voted for Hershey since I think they have the best collection of rides, coasters and non coasters. I was considering voting for Great Adventure but the lack of non coaster rides and nickel and diming policies (lockers, Flashpass) I couldn't pick them.
Yoshi

Postby cf4444 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:25 pm

Lots of good parks in both states that didnt make the list. You sure this had to be a poll?

The best IMO is Knoebels. If you have been there, then you should know why.
cf4444

Postby Ecanyon05 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:26 pm

What about Kennywood or Waldameer or the many other parks your missing in this poll?
Ecanyon05

Postby MozzMarr86 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:19 pm

haha Exactly. I chose Knoebels from the list given.
MozzMarr86

Postby Yoshi » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:47 pm

cf4444 wrote:Lots of good parks in both states that didnt make the list. You sure this had to be a poll?

The best IMO is Knoebels. If you have been there, then you should know why.

I really enjoyed Knoebels when I was there for the first time this past July but what kept me from voting from them is the lack of a major steel coaster. I thought Phoenix is really good and Twister was awesome, plus I liked the free admission and low prices (Alamo is now one of my favorite sit down restaurants) but I really think they need some kind of steel. I'm not saying a B&M hyper or invert since I know that is not realistic but even a Schwarzkopf looper would be good.
Yoshi

Postby Hooky965 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:10 am

I went with Hershey, but mainly because I enjoy the whole package (park, surroundings,theme, & town) as a destination. The park itself is very good & has a nice assortment of rides (plus those fabled GCI woodies & a classic woodie to boot).

Dorney does get props because it packs a ton of punch into a small footprint. I think where it tends to fall short IMO is the very same small footprint...summer crowds packed into a smaller place.

Love Knoebels for what it stands for...the old school amusement park experience, but it does fall somewhat short in some of the more thrilling aspects of it's competitors. It doesn't fall short in the category of borderline dangerous older rides. I love borderline dangerous older rides.

Morey's gets a respectful nod from me as well, mainly because of my history downashore. This is intended more for the boardwalk experience that I remember....I spent much of my time as a kid down there in the insane 70s & 80s when the piers (Sportland, Hunts, Moreys, Mariner's Landing, Fun Pier, Castle Dracula) were at their peak. You just couldn't top Hunts pier for outright fun & escape. That place was amazing. Currently, Morey's tries to sell a full park experience at the beach, and they aren't shy about charging full park prices in doing so. The problem is that they really don't offer what the non-beach competition does.

GA does nothing for me.
Hooky965

Postby Yoshi » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:55 am

Thank You! Every time I bring up how overpriced Morey's on other sites all I get is people saying I am wrong. A wristband for just the piers is $45, with the waterpark, $55 which is a lot more than Dorney. The worst is a season pass. For 2009, a season pass is regulary $380 on sale for $240 for someone 25 and under. $380 is close to Disney pricing! Since 2009 is the first year I am eligible for the "Easy Rider" pass (26 and older), it's $275 on sale for $175. I considered it but for $35 more, I can get Dorney and Six Flags (with parking) passes and hopefully less if SF has a SP sale again like they did last December.

Yeah Morey's is probably the best seashore park in the US but like you said they are charging full amusement park pricing and a good wooden coaster, a SLC, boomerang and a few carnival coasters is hardly worth that pricing.

I'm curious why you say Great Adventure does nothing for you. I can understand why you would say that though. I HATE the park, and almost everything about it except the coasters but because they have stuff you just can't find anywhere else in this area (flyer, B&M hyper for example), I still find myself going to the park even more than Dorney. I guess that is also because of the longer opearting season though (open a month earlier, only 1 or 2 buy outs a year, daily operations before Memorial Day).
Yoshi

Postby strwrse1 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:53 am

They had a steel coaster & no one rode it. Granted it was a Vekoma/Arrow, but it was a very unusual coaster & it was a walk on on the busiest days. And the cost of a steel coaster is much greater than building a wood coaster of your own. This is why they never got another one. Ask Dick Knoebels anytime & he'll explain this reasoning to you.
strwrse1

Postby Kozmo 1 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:33 am

Knoebels and as said if you've been there you know.

Great coasters, scenic rides and flats. The rides are run efficiently and the ride cycles are some of the longest I've ever seen.

Friendly and efficient staff, delicious reasonably priced food nice atmosphere and nice location, being in the middle of nowhere and the lack of big coasters and such keeps away the rude people from the cities.

Wish I was there right now...damnit I hate winter...I say let the world warm up lol.
RIP Dorney Park 1884-1992
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby hydra&hercules » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:15 pm

Ecanyon05 wrote:What about Kennywood or Waldameer or the many other parks your missing in this poll?

You can only have 5 polling options :lol: it tells you directly.
hydra&hercules

Postby Ecanyon05 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:06 pm

Im aware but even so they are better options then Six Flags and Moreys...
Ecanyon05

Postby hydra&hercules » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:41 pm

I guess your right but I chose the parks that the members of this form our most likely going to go to.
hydra&hercules

Postby MozzMarr86 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:15 am

hydra&hercules,

Please stop quoting the post immediately before yours. Thank you.
MozzMarr86

Postby Ecanyon05 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:24 am

hydra&hercules wrote:I guess your right but I chose the parks that the members of this form our most likely going to go to.

Im a member of this forum and Im more likely to go to Kennywood. Just saying.
Ecanyon05

Next

Return to Industry Discussion