Best Park in Pa or NJ

Talk about other parks and the amusement industry.

Moderator: dptalon135

Which is the Best Park?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:09 pm

Dorney Park
24%
Hershey Park
29%
Knoebels
29%
Morey's Piers
5%
Six Flags Great adventure
14%

Total votes : 21

Re: Best Park in Pa or NJ

Postby Tori_is_neat » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:26 am

I chose Dorney mostly because I go there the most often and it's sort of homey to me now. I can go there for a day with a ten dollar bill and not feel hungry thanks to Burger Barn's fries last year and Just Tacos this year. I feel safe and really comfortable there. Also, I love love love the lack of lines, and although I'm not happy about Laser leaving, and don't really like Hydra, I still like the ride lineup.

I can't stand the lines at Great Adventure, and I hardly get down to Hershey. I love their coasters, but from everything I've been hearing about their operations, it's lost a few points in my book.
I've never been to Morey's or Knoebels, although I plan to go to Knoebels this year for sure.

Enjoy your ride on Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel FORCE! ('09)
"What time is it?" "HANG TIME!" ('10)
Talon: The Grip of Fear - 10th Anniversary! ('11)
Tori_is_neat

Postby Hooky965 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:10 am

Yoshi wrote:
I'm curious why you say Great Adventure does nothing for you.

Excessive crowds & pricing for the most part.
Hooky965

Postby Hooky965 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:27 am

strwrse1 wrote: And the cost of a steel coaster is much greater than building a wood coaster of your own. This is why they never got another one. Ask Dick Knoebels anytime & he'll explain this reasoning to you.

Actually, I'm very surprised to hear this. With all the footers & supports required for a wooden coaster I would think that a steel coaster would be much less expensive to build. In addition, I've had discussions with some maintenance guys on other boards and they've told me about how a wooden coaster is much more of a "living" entity over the course of the season and requires much more in the way of regular adjustments over a steel coaster. From what this guy said, the basics of bolt adjustments over the course of the ride are pretty painstaking, and need to be made constantly. I'm not a ride tech, so if anyone has a different take on this, I'd be interested to hear.
Hooky965

Postby Yoshi » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:40 pm

Hooky965 wrote:Excessive crowds & pricing for the most part.

I agree with both of those, that's why I only go in April, May, early June, September and October (Friday nights only) to avoid crowds. I made the mistake of going in August once and lines were too long for me. As for pricing, they are almost gouging. $10.99 for a burger and fries is a disgrace. I go out of my way to avoid spending money on food and drinks in the park, just out of principle.
Yoshi

Previous

Return to Industry Discussion