Some old Hershey pix and a forum - Giant Wheel

Talk about other parks and the amusement industry.

Moderator: dptalon135

Some old Hershey pix and a forum - Giant Wheel

Postby Kozmo 1 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:03 pm

Some old film I just had developed, had alot of Hersheypark photos from 02' and 03' including the Giant Wheel.

http://community.webshots.com/album/569633089aofnEb

And HPBuzz forums...looks like a good concept and it would be cool if it picked up, thought maybee some Hershey fans were also looking here since Dorney and Hershey are so close to one another. And, no it's not my website, just found it when I was trying to find an unofficial HP site. Couldn't really find anything as good as DPO unfortunatly.

http://www.hpbuzz.com/forums/index.php
RIP Dorney Park 1884-1992
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Re: Some old Hershey pix and a forum - Giant Wheel

Postby rotlex » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:01 am

Wow, do those pics of the "giant wheel" bring back memories! Does anyone know why\when it was taken down?

I had not been to Hershey for a very, very long time, like probably since that wheel was "new", LOL. I was surprised when we visited for the first time a few years ago and it was gone. :( It was always kind of like my "vision" of Hershey Park from childhood.

Thanks for posting that!
rotlex

Re: Some old Hershey pix and a forum - Giant Wheel

Postby Kozmo 1 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:05 pm

Yeah, I definatly agree, it was my favorite ride in the park, and almost if not as much of a HP landmark as the Kissing Tower.

It was removed after the 2004 summer season. Partly because they couldn't get parts to repair it anymore and they were planning on putting in a new coaster called Turbulance in it's spot as part of the renovation of Carrousel Circle into Founder's Circle. There were issues with the price of steel going up and the company wanted to charge the park more for the ride than originaly so plans were scrapped. Then they just put the re-furbished and repainted Starship America (Roto-Jets) and Balloon Flite in the spot instead. Which I think was a better fit for the area than the coaster but nowhere near as good as the Giant Wheel.

I really wish one day they would get a new one built somehow. I know it's nothing that any ride company sells now, but I'm sure for the right price someone could build something similar. But, I guess Hershey is happy with the crappy Chance wheel they have up in Midway America. I always loved the capacity of the Giant Wheel and the nice long ride cycle it gave. The Ferris Wheel always has a long wait because they don't load enough cars (and yes I know it's because that ride needs to stay balanced, but I know first hand from working at Dorney's wheel (same make/model) that with the lines they usualy have they could certainly be loading more cars) and has a very short cycle time too.
RIP Dorney Park 1884-1992
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Return to Industry Discussion