Six Flags Bankruptcy

Talk about other parks and the amusement industry.

Moderator: dptalon135

Six Flags Bankruptcy

Postby bluewaves » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:53 am

One of the reasons they said they are having so much financial difficulties is the over spending on new attraction and then lack of ROI, return on investment, they make on them, is this a sign of things to come less and less new coasters at existing parks?

They have basically said that just general up keep is eating large parts of the budget over at six flags, looking at Cedar Fair with its huge debt load from the purchase of the Paramount parks anyone see Cedar Fair going the same route?
bluewaves

Re: Six Flags Bankruptcy

Postby Tori_is_neat » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:44 am

Honestly...they're only a little behind Six Flags in regards to property. 12 properties for Cedar Fair, 13 for Six Flags. 121 coasters vs. 127 (yes, I just looked them all up). If things don't pick up soon, I could see Cedar Fair filing. Unless they actually go and sell a park and take a bit of weight off their shoulders... but even still. They'll probably have to, soon.

Enjoy your ride on Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel FORCE! ('09)
"What time is it?" "HANG TIME!" ('10)
Talon: The Grip of Fear - 10th Anniversary! ('11)
Tori_is_neat

Postby the master » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:52 pm

Six Flags used to have more parks but they had to sell some of them off a few years ago. Over at Great Adventure they have removed alot more stuff than they added, most of their flat rides are gone now and there are now many empty spots all over the park. There is even a whole section of the park that is closed off and a few rides that are SBNO with uncertain futures. Hopefully we won't see Dorney removing flats by the bus load anytime in the future like GADV has done in recent years.
the master

Postby Yoshi » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:14 pm

Yes it has gotten horrible at Great Adventure in terms of ride removals. There are approximately a total of 12 rides that are not coasters or kiddie rides 2 of which are water rides. Not a lot to choose from for someone too big for kiddie rides and not into coasters. The amount of SBNO rides is also ridiculous. I remember some people saying Tango was closed earlier in the season because it wasn't needed but now we are into peak season and it still isn't operating. It will probably be closed all season and I question if it will ever run at the park again.

That's why I like Dorney for an overall park experience, they have a very balanced ride collection with something for everyone compared to Great Adventure where I go for the awesome coasters but rarely ride anything else except for the log flume.
Yoshi

Return to Industry Discussion