Hershey's Boardwalk.

Talk about other parks and the amusement industry.

Moderator: dptalon135

Hershey's Boardwalk.

Postby the master » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:32 pm

I do like Hershey and think it is a nice park except for their boardwalk section which I think was a mistake. It's way too small, jammed in tight, and poorly designed which is a shame. I don't even consider it a true waterpark like WWK. The queue for their slide tower is especially poorly designed with lanes for different slides up the stairways which causes fights over who is in what line. Even their new wave pool has a line and queue you have to wait in. But to be fair the boardwalk does have some nice unusual water rides many other parks don't have such as Roller Soaker and the Vortex slide. I have heard Hershey was planning on building a separate waterpark that would have ben named Coca Beach which they probably should have gone with, but I guess Hershey decided to have the Boardwalk instead. What are your opinions about Hershey's Boardwalk?
the master

Re: Hershey's Boardwalk.

Postby Kozmo 1 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:00 am

Your description pretty much sums up my opinions as well. Would have made more sence to put it across the street. No idea what happened to kill that plan. I just hope they don't sacrifice anymore of the Frontier section (neighboring rides include DGRR and Sidewinder and the best themeing in the park). Same goes for Wildcat and Lightning Racer.
RIP Dorney Park 1884-1992
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby Yoshi » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:13 pm

I also agree, I hate the Boardwalk. East Coast Waterworks is horrible, the problem is that with the slides in the complex, and the walkways narrow it is difficult to line up for a slide and you get cut.

A park the size of Hershey should not have a waterpark with only 4 major slides! And now we lost the rapids for this stupid expansion of a small wavepool and a lazy river that doesn't look that interesting.

I could see the entire upper Pioneer Frontier section eventually removed for more Boardwalk Expansion (except Storm Runner). Sidewinder, the railroad, the kiddie rides and Frontier Flyers.

Rollersoaker is fun but again should have never been built at a park that gets around 2 1/2 million visitors a year. It can get around 350 an hour and that's only if no seats go out empty. Hershey's site says 725 an hour. That is impossible. That would mean each set of 3 trains would have to have a dispatch very minute.
Yoshi

Postby the master » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:01 pm

East Coast Waterworks is a mess like how you wait in line for the slides on it and they dump that big bucket of water on you every two seconds. Island Water Works only dumps water every so often, not every two seconds and there are places to get away from the dumping water.
the master

Postby Yoshi » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:28 pm

Yeah I prefer Island Water Works a lot more even without the slides. I hate how you are standing in line for a slide in East Coast Waterworks and are getting hit in the face with water every 5 seconds.
Yoshi

Postby dorneydude » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:26 am

..was at HP this past Monday and I LOVED the water park..or more correctly termed water ride themed area...it allowed the waits at all the major coasters to be 15 minutes or less...sans Farenheight which for some reason was 45 minutes! The fact that HP now tries to charge $50 to get in is my only problem.

I had forgotten how big HP was, truley a park you could spend 2 days at. To me, if you not interested in WWK...D is sort of half a park...glad to have here in allentown but HP is simply a different experience.
---the ORIGINAL DorneyDude
dorneydude

Postby Kozmo 1 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:49 pm

I guess Hershey can get away with charging a high gate price though....the size and quality of the park justify it. And I really never see an empty day at Hershey so they're definatly doing something right.
RIP Dorney Park 1884-1992
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby HK36 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:33 pm

Finaly got a chance to actually go to the Boardawalk yesterday and I really hated it... Im not all about a line to get into the wave pool or a kids play structure... all i wanted to do was get wet and it was difficult without waiting in some enourmous line. I finally waited in line for Roller Soaker just to get the credit and the 2 hours i waited wasnt worth it. The rest of the park was great minus the slow load times on everything.
HK36

Postby dptalon135 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:58 pm

I have still not gotten the Roller Soaker credit because that line is always so ridiculously long.
dptalon135
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:22 pm

Even when the line isn't out of the building it still has a long line since there are some switchbacks in the station. The only way to avoid a line is to get to it right when the boardwalk opens and even then you still might have a wait. They should have made 2 tracks to help with the capacity.
Yoshi

Postby dorneydude » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:42 pm

Rs is fun but not worth the wait. This little addition has dramatically increased the price. For us, we were considering ditching DP for a few trips to HP each season or maybe a pass but its gotten too expensive...maybe Knobels...
---the ORIGINAL DorneyDude
dorneydude

Return to Industry Discussion