Christmas at Hershey. Any opinions?

Talk about other parks and the amusement industry.

Moderator: dptalon135

Christmas at Hershey. Any opinions?

Postby N_Dub04Gli » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:35 am

Hey everyone. I am planning on making a trip to Hershey this holiday season but I have absolutely no idea what to expect. I know that they put up a big lights display but other than that I know nothing. Do they do holiday performances or are any rides or anything in operation? If anyone has been there or has experienced Christmas at Hershey, could you please tell me all about it and let me know what to expect. I have wanted to go for years but I think that this is the year! Thanks in advance to everyone who has some input or experiences to offer! :D
2015... My year off from Dorney. C'mon Cedar Fair, you are losing me...
N_Dub04Gli

Re: Christmas at Hershey. Any opinions?

Postby MozzMarr86 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:59 am

There are certain rides in operation. Some of the smaller flat rides (i.e. The Claw), the train and monorail, and of course the Reese's Extreme Cup Challenge are open. Oh, and of course Chocolate World is open. However, last time I went I remember it being really cold, so that's something to consider. It's a really nice even though. It's worth the money as far as I'm concerned.
MozzMarr86

Postby N_Dub04Gli » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:39 pm

Thanks for the input Mozz! :) Everyone please feel free to give me all of your thoughts!
N_Dub04Gli

Postby Ecanyon05 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:10 pm

I went with Mozz last year and it was very cold but i think as long as you dress warm and take advantage of the Hot Chocolate it is a lot of fun. They do have shows but you have to show up early because the seating fills up quick.
Ecanyon05

Postby dorneydude » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:07 pm

We have gone many times with the kids..but not since they started charging admission. Most rides open are for the kids...would not mind paying for them but it gets pricey to pay for adults and older kids. They do a nice job decorating the park...its festive. Santa is there along with his reindeer. Its especially nice if snow has just fallen. Chocolate world offers a cool 3D show (you pay for that) and of course the chocolate world ride (free) Food quality is decent though over priced. Desserts are awesome. You are close the drivethru light thing (whatever they are calling it...it was $20 a car last year---we skipped that since we have a similar attraction back home. They have a trolley tour...we never tried that.

All in all it was a fun night when the kids were young....once the hit the teen years they get bored real fast.
---the ORIGINAL DorneyDude
dorneydude

Postby Yoshi » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:35 pm

I go every few years with my family. The last year i went was in 2007. It is fun but fusturating to see all the coasters just sitting there not operating. I still hope every year they will run a smaller coaster like Trailblazer. We also go to ZooAmerica since it is included with admission and we usually skip it during the summer due to a lack of time.

I would make sure you get there early if you go on a weekend. We got there at the 2:00 opening on a Saturday and it wasn't too crowded but by 5 when we were leaving it was getting packed with long lines.
Yoshi

Postby N_Dub04Gli » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:33 am

Thanks to everyone who has giving me their opinion so far. It's funny b/c you hear so much about Christmas at hershey on the radio and TV... But they tell you nothing about it! Now I am getting a little bit on an idea. Thanks again and if anyone else has experience, please feel free to share. :D
N_Dub04Gli

Postby rotlex » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:01 am

We go every Christmas for this. (Sometimes more than once)!

It's a really nice time, and pretty reasonable. Roughly 10 bucks per person for admission, and 7 to park. They do a nice job decorating, and there is generally a very festive feel in the air. Chocolate World is always fun of course, and free, and the park itself has a few rides open, as others have mentioned. (mainly kiddie rides, wave swinger, claw etc.). Still, it's a good time, even for my 7 year old who is a coaster junkie. Although I would really like to see them at least run the trailblazer, or SDL. We were there a few weeks ago, I think the first weekend, and it was the 70 degree day. MAN it was rough not being able to ride anything "big", LOL.

Still, overall, it's fun, festive, and a nice day that won't break the bank.
rotlex

Postby N_Dub04Gli » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:38 pm

I really hope that we can get out there this year. I am such a sucker for holiday events :lol: If there was only enough time for everything :!:
N_Dub04Gli

Postby djw44 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:14 pm

It is really nice. I went this year on the way back to school and didn't even go into the park. Just went around the gate area and into chocolate world. It was so nice, got some gifts, saw some lights. It really is great. I have great memories of when I was four years old riding the little train they had around where the giant wheel used to be. Really a great time, little kids will remember it for the rest of their lives like I have.
djw44

Postby N_Dub04Gli » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:51 am

That's awesome. This 27 year old kid wants to experience it :mrgreen: I love Hershey and hope to love Christmas at Hershey :D
N_Dub04Gli

Return to Industry Discussion