Hershey to add B&M in 2011 or 2012

Talk about other parks and the amusement industry.

Moderator: dptalon135

Hershey to add B&M in 2011 or 2012

Postby Kozmo 1 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:00 am

Screamscape is reporting that Hershey may be adding a B&M coaster for 11' or 12' in the Comet Hollow area and removing the Tilt-A-Whirl.

Hope this is finaly a Hyper and I hope they do it right and don't go for something short. Too bad about the Tilt if that's true though. One of my favorite flat rides, maybee they'll just move it to another spot in the park instead of removing it altogether.
RIP Dorney Park 1884-1992
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Re: Hershey to add B&M in 2011 or 2012

Postby Yoshi » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:49 pm

A B&M hyper would be awesome, a high capacity ride is what Hershey needs after the last 2 Intamins, they better not remove SDL! That is my favorite steel coaster and Anton's coasters are so rare today.

I really don't think they need another looper like a floorless or sitdown, a dive
machine seems pointless after Fahrenheit. I hope it's not a flyer, the loading takes forever and I don't like having your head tilted down while on the brake run.
Yoshi

Postby Kozmo 1 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:53 pm

Yoshi wrote:A B&M hyper would be awesome, a high capacity ride is what Hershey needs after the last 2 Intamins, they better not remove SDL! That is my favorite steel coaster and Anton's coasters are so rare today.

I really don't think they need another looper like a floorless or sitdown, a dive
machine seems pointless after Fahrenheit. I hope it's not a flyer, the loading takes forever and I don't like having your head tilted down while on the brake run.

They definatly better not get rid of SDL! If they're just putting the station down there, I'm assuming it would be something that would sprawl out from the Hollow. A Hyper would make most sence. They definatly have enough low capacity looping rides already in Fareinheit and StormRunner.
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby bluewaves » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:46 pm

They could take out Comet, don't kill me, lol, I just have no love for that ride
bluewaves

Postby Kozmo 1 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:15 am

bluewaves wrote:They could take out Comet, don't kill me, lol, I just have no love for that ride

That would be worse than Dorney takeing out Thunderhawk. Can't remove a park's classic out and back :) It's one of my favorite rides at Hershey.
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby Yoshi » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:16 am

It's not only my favorite wooden coaster at Hershey, it's my favorite wooden coaster overall even over Phoenix and Twister.

I hope Comet and SDL are not removed for a long time (never removed would be better but I can see SDL leaving eventually)
Yoshi

Postby bluewaves » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:08 pm

Phoenix and Twister are much better rides, Comet stinks and Thunderhawk has had better days as well, the parks screwed with them too much and if they aren't going to return them to their original conditions, and in Comet's case get new trains that actually fit the track and that don't twist and wobble all over the place, its time for them to go, and no I'm not anti wood coasters, but if you aren't going to take care of them properly than just forget about it, thats why everytime someone talks about a wood coaster at DP I'm just like why would you want that? They don't take care of the one we have now and its the reason that Hercules is gone is that they are hard to maintain unless your going to be up there with 6 or 7 guys every single day. I like wood coasters but at some point we have to agree that they get past their prime and then its time for something new.
bluewaves

Postby Yoshi » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:51 am

Latest from Screamscape
"Lots of rumors are starting to swirl about the next big coaster in the works for Hersheypark… both good and bad. Starting with the bad news, one rumor claims that this could result in the end of the classic Sooper-Dooper Looper, though I really hope that one is wrong.
As always, there are tons of rumors claiming that the park’s next coaster will be a B&M at last again, despite the fact that they had been sticking with Intamin for the last few. If they do go with B&M, the ride could be either a Flyer or possibly even a Hypercoaster, but there is no telling what it may be if they go with Intamin. Certainly an Intamin Mega-Lite coaster would go over well in this area too, but it’s too early to tell."

:x if they are really considering getting rid of SDL, I wonder if they get enough complaints the ride can be saved like Whizzer at Six Flags Great America.
Yoshi

Postby Kozmo 1 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:36 pm

I will be pissed if they remove SDL for anything! Especialy if it turns out to be a Flyer instead of a Hyper. Don't need another crappy gimick coaster at Hershey :)
RIP Laser 1986-2008

"People have to eat"

Kozmo 1

Postby N_Dub04Gli » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:47 am

I would love to see another coaster at HP. That is already one of my favorite places and a new B&M would be awesome! Better not get rid of Tilt a Whirl though. That is one ride that belongs in all amusement parks! :D
2015... My year off from Dorney. C'mon Cedar Fair, you are losing me...
N_Dub04Gli

Postby Yoshi » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:43 pm

Now Screamscape is saying it will be an Intamin. I can't believe they are going with another Intamin coaster especially since the park really could use a high capacity B&M coaster rather than an Intamin, though I wouldn't mind seeing a small hyper with i305 restraints.
Yoshi

Postby Tori_is_neat » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:10 am

Whatever they get, I really hopes it's high capacity. So an Intamin Hyper actually wouldn't be terrible, but I'd prefer the lapbars, instead of the i305 restraints, Yoshi. I don't want them putting OTSRs on hypers now, too. Ughh.
Also, if they get rid of Comet, I'll be so mad. That ride is one of the best woodies out there. The airtime on that is fantastic.

Enjoy your ride on Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel FORCE! ('09)
"What time is it?" "HANG TIME!" ('10)
Talon: The Grip of Fear - 10th Anniversary! ('11)
Tori_is_neat

Postby Hooky965 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:12 am

I'll second those thoughts on Comet, Tori.
Went out there yesterday and rode the back seat 2x. Flat out some of the best airtime you can get in a woodie, and second overall to the bunnies on SF (IMO). Actually hadn't thought much of Comet in the past few years, but after riding it again yesterday (with the perspective of also riding the afore mentioned "gimmick" Intamins), made me appreciate the ride that much more.

On the other hand, I'm not so sure about the future of SDL. It really pains me to say that because I'm old enough to remember the stir that ride caused when it first hit the scene. I can vividly remember queue lines out to the bottom of the hollow and wait times of over an hour in the late 70's. Understandable, because it was the first steel looper that anyone in the area and unless you took the trip down to VA to ride the LNM, the first inversion anyone around here had ever seen. Yesterday when I climbed into those great old trains and lowered the lap bar (no additional restraints!) I really appreciated the simplicity of this old ride. The problem is that this very same simplicity doesn't translate into the younger generations. It has some nice G turns after the drop and inversion, but nothing as far as additional drops or rolls later in the ride. These are elements that are very common on newer coaster designs, and subsequently ones that younger riders expect. I remember hearing comments like "that was nothing" and "my little sister could ride this" from a group of teens riding in front of my son & I. Perhaps that is the niche that the SDL now occupies...the first inversion for many younger riders. I wonder if that alone is going to be enough to save one of the last remaining examples of Anton's work.
Hooky965

Postby Hooky965 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:21 am

Also, if this hypercoaster rumor is really true, I'm curious as to how it would be approved. The biggest reason is because Hershey's medical center is very close to the park. The medical center takes in a large number of life flight patients on a daily basis, and I'm thinking that an extremely tall ride might be an issue. Perhaps this can be worked around in some manner (and I guess that the kissing tower really isn't that much different), but I'm certain that this might be something of a hurdle that would need to get passed in order for one of these rides to find a home there.
Hooky965

Postby Former_DP_Landscaper » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:42 am

Found this in the local paper this morning about Hershey's new ride:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2010/08/hersheyparks_new_attraction_to.html

The article doesn't give a whole lot of detail, but does mention a max ride height of 212 feet.

Edit: Found a better article, gives slightly more detail. Mentions that there will be 32 support columns, so I guess indeed it will be a roller coaster.

http://www.ldnews.com/ci_15826822
Rock on Herc!
Former_DP_Landscaper

Next

Return to Industry Discussion